Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
AustinWithrow

Drives: 2013 Cammed/LSA Conversion 1LE
Anyone tried a engine swap?

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to do a engine swap in a v6 to a v8? Maybe going from a LFX to a LS3? Anyone who has any info about this swap would be helpful!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Would it be cheaper than a trade-in toward a SS? Honest question.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Texan_Camaro

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro LS Summit White
I was thinking Chevy SS (4 door) LS3 swap to make the SS economical with the V6 and the camaro a monster with the LS3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texan_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #4
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
as far as i'm aware, no V6 has done an engine swap to a v8 on this site. it would be much cheaper to trade in for a v8 and just lose the money.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
this was asked a few days ago. No it would be cheaper to trade it in. And in the end it would be worth no more than a v6 if totaled and even less to worthless as a trade in.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
this was asked a few days ago. No it would be cheaper to trade it in. And in the end it would be worth no more than a v6 if totaled and even less to worthless as a trade in.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #7
JDavi

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
I had the same question actually, but instead of the LS3 i have an LQ4 just lying around my garage. I got my 2011 Camaro LT/RS for around 12k and cant really trade it in because it has a rebuilt title. Would it be a good idea to build the LQ4 and swap it out with the V6?
JDavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
AustinWithrow

Drives: 2013 Cammed/LSA Conversion 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavi View Post
I had the same question actually, but instead of the LS3 i have an LQ4 just lying around my garage. I got my 2011 Camaro LT/RS for around 12k and cant really trade it in because it has a rebuilt title. Would it be a good idea to build the LQ4 and swap it out with the V6?
I'm thinking about swapping a ls3 into a v6 just to try it out and see if it works!
Old 05-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I think the biggest hurdle will be electronics. There's probably not much physical difference between the chassis mounting points between the V6 and V8 's. There shouldn't much if any fabrication involved. My initial guess without fully researching is that you'd need to swap the drive train and possibly the engine wiring harness and ECU. The new ECU may need some tuning to be able to talk to the rest of the electronics in the car. And I'd bet that the V6 and V8 use the same core ECU, just that they're programmed differently. You'd also have to research to see of parts like the underhood fuse boxes are the same as well as the cradle.

I think the most difficult part would be sourcing the needed parts at a reasonable price. As long as the mechanical and technical aspects are understandable to you, I don't see this type of swap to be rocket science. And as the years go by, it will probably become a common thing to do.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Let's put it this way. I looked at swapping a LFX (V6) into my 2010 V6 (LLT). It was way cheaper to trade the 2010 for a 2012. Unless you can find a totaled SS with a functional drivetrain and electronics for dirt cheap, then just trade the car in if you want. If you happen to have a V8 engine laying around, sell it and either mod the V6 or use that as part of the down payment on the car you want; or buy a 260Z roller and put the V8 in that. The day of easy/cheap engine swaps are over. All the different control modules are tied together and aren't interchangeable.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
Dru

Drives: '11 IBM
Yes, it is possible. I swapped an L92 out of an Escalade into my 2011 2LT/RS M6, trading the L92 intake for the LS3 intake to fit under the hood. Is it cheaper to trade to an SS, probably, depending on what you paid for your V6, but I did all the work myself and was able to get most of the necessary parts from the forum members here to help keep the cost down. If you're gonna have to pay labor costs on top of parts, it'll get pretty expensive, but if you have the space and know what you're doing, you can't beat the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Good Luck!
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:48 AM   #12
Macrackie

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS Stripper model
Dru,

What did you do for a trans?
Macrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #13
Dru

Drives: '11 IBM
I was able to get a TR6060 from a forum member. You thinking about swapping?
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #14
12WhiteLS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS M6
Easiest way would be finding a wrecked SS as a donor car. Whenever the difference between the price of trading it in or buying a donor car favors the donor car then it would be more economical.
12WhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote