Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
I wasn't that impressed with 303 either. I followed the instructions to a tee and used almost an entire bottle. Very impressive at the first subsequent washing (same as OPs vid) but the second wash, it seemed to not even be present. The protectant factor may still be there, just the 'beading' affect may have lessened.
I'm also with exflirt on this, the top material has to be bullet proof as far as the elements go or GM would never be using it. Any and all protectant in the world isn't going to prevent rub/wear marks, two entirely different issues.
I bought the bottle at Camping World for around $17 I think. Just my .02
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
So the convertible tops are fixed now?
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Not really... but the number of new cars with the problems seems to be going down.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
..and some have never had problems......
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
Steeler NY

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM Vert
After seeing this video I went right out and bought this stuff. I never treated my previous Camaro top but this stuff is amazing.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
I first tryed the Ragg Topp but like the 303 Products much better. The Ragg Topp protector did a terrible job and had not heard about the 303 products until later. Michael in Virginia
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
cactuseater

Drives: .
At one point I had a top on long enough to try the 303. Works great, except it will wash off quickly from my experience. Follow the instructions as well, exactly. It's a good product, I must agree. Just wish it lasted longer. I will still use it until I can find something else out here in AZ that performs better in this environment.

Although the new canvas top GM has out since this summer is world's better than the original in quality, it still needs to be protected from the elements. Any canvas top needs extra TLC no matter who to you talk to, it's the nature of the material itself. If you're in the sun a lot, you need to protect it as if it was your skin. It will fade and dry rot. If you're in a wet area or driving in winter, you'll need to apply this stuff often. Keeping the car clean all the time is a lot of work, but it protects your investment. Pay special attention to where there is any stitching and binding sewn onto the edges. Also keep your mechanism well lubricated. A very good UV shield and water repellent are definitely recommended.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #22
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
At one point I had a top on long enough to try the 303. Works great, except it will wash off quickly from my experience. Follow the instructions as well, exactly. It's a good product, I must agree. Just wish it lasted longer. I will still use it until I can find something else out here in AZ that performs better in this environment.

Although the new canvas top GM has out since this summer is world's better than the original in quality, it still needs to be protected from the elements. Any canvas top needs extra TLC no matter who to you talk to, it's the nature of the material itself. If you're in the sun a lot, you need to protect it as if it was your skin. It will fade and dry rot. If you're in a wet area or driving in winter, you'll need to apply this stuff often. Keeping the car clean all the time is a lot of work, but it protects your investment. Pay special attention to where there is any stitching and binding sewn onto the edges. Also keep your mechanism well lubricated. A very good UV shield and water repellent are definitely recommended.
Although the water repellency may seem to wear off I feel the UV protection is more important. Sun damage is killer on cloth.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #23
cactuseater

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytiger View Post
..and some have never had problems......
You must lead a clean life, for the odds are stacked against any owner having a design flaw defective mechanism that doesn't act up. Also, don't think for a second that the material is bullet proof just because GM is using it. I do agree, however, that the newest canvas top is a massive improvement over the previous material.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #24
cactuseater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Although the water repellency may seem to wear off I feel the UV protection is more important. Sun damage is killer on cloth.
Bird's right on this -- it is really the most important factor overall.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #25
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Bird's right on this -- it is really the most important factor overall.
After the water beading is gone, how do we know there's still (the same) UV protection?
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #26
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
After the water beading is gone, how do we know there's still (the same) UV protection?
I guess the same reason you trust your oil to be protecting your engine even though it looks dirty. Some things you just have to trust are doing what they are supposed to do for as long as its supposed to do it.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #27
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Although the new canvas top GM has out since this summer is world's better than the original in quality...
Are you implying that the material itself is different? Between my 4/2011 built top and my 6/27/2012 revision replacement I did not notice any difference in material. Definitely a difference in the fit and the extra tension cords controlling the fold while down but no difference in material.
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #28
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
I just bought two 16oz spray canisters of 303 fabric protectant. Cost me $16 each. Found it at an RV place. I was going to order online but the shipping almost doubled the price.

I was born at night, just not in a barn...
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote