Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 10-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
1995z28

Drives: Red 95 Z28
Question Too late for performance?

So I have just called Livernois motorsports, a pretty well know performance shop for camaros in the Detroit area and I first found out that they do not service my LT1 so i was SOL there, but i went on asking just for advice and he said with 133xxx miles and its being that old that he wouldn't recommend any performance upgrades without a lot of engine changes. So my question is, im just about to get a performance transmission rebuild done all the way from the torque converter to the clutches. If anyone could input it would be great because im trying to plan my future upgrades. Engine is in great shape just wondering if theres anything that would give me some more power in the engine.
1995z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
you could stroke it..most shops wont give LT1 guys the time of day as there isnt a whole lot of money in doing so.. What are you looking for?
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
1995z28

I mean anything really. I'm looking for any ideas that could help me gain some more power. I was told supers aren't a good idea without a lot of upgrades
Old 10-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #4
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
I test drove a 97 SS with a 383 with some head work, cam, headers etc.... made pretty good power.... sounded pretty sweet too, I've always thought the LT1 sounds better than the LS1's
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
I test drove a 97 SS with a 383 with some head work, cam, headers etc.... made pretty good power.... sounded pretty sweet too, I've always thought the LT1 sounds better than the LS1's
That they do, especially when a random Z with a TSP pulls up next to you at the wash. That iron block has a distinctive sound that just can't be replicated with an aluminum block. Heck even iron LS blocks sound totally different from their aluminum counterparts.

Like it's been said before, Stroke/Bore, LT4 parts, and change the Opti to an MSD or Coil system. Won't make as much as an LS car but then LT and LS cars are apples and oranges.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
1995z28

thanks for the input guys, what lt4 parts would you recommend looking at. Also what would be required to switch over from the opti. what would you recommend between msd and the coil system?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
pretty good information here:
http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum
http://lt1howto.com/
Old 10-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post

That is seriously lame. LT1 is a sweet motor, sad to hear it's getting the shaft. :(

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
That they do, especially when a random Z with a TSP pulls up next to you at the wash. That iron block has a distinctive sound that just can't be replicated with an aluminum block. Heck even iron LS blocks sound totally different from their aluminum counterparts.

Like it's been said before, Stroke/Bore, LT4 parts, and change the Opti to an MSD or Coil system. Won't make as much as an LS car but then LT and LS cars are apples and oranges.

They don't share the same firing order, that's why.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995z28 View Post
thanks for the input guys, what lt4 parts would you recommend looking at. Also what would be required to switch over from the opti. what would you recommend between msd and the coil system?
LT4 upgrade kit explained: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f37/lt1-vs-lt4-kit-18382/

As far as upgrades on ignition I'd go with a Coil pack. Using a Bailey system, you wind up actually using GM oem coil packs wired into the refit kit that replaces the Optispark high voltage end.

Explained pretty well here: http://www.lt1howto.com/articles/coilpack.htm
Old 10-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
1995z28

Thanks everyone. this is a huge help the links actually are really useful. But is the opti really that big of an issue? Like I've heard a lot of poor things about it. What exactly is the problem and how does the other systems work better?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995z28 View Post
Thanks everyone. this is a huge help the links actually are really useful. But is the opti really that big of an issue? Like I've heard a lot of poor things about it. What exactly is the problem and how does the other systems work better?
The Opti is a good concept, but it was just executed in production half assed.

Optispark is a timing system that uses an optical sensor rather than magnets or other sensing elements to properly detect crankshaft location and thus time the spark for the ignition sequence in the engine.

GM installed the thing under the water pump on LT engines, and the one thing these things hate is MOISTURE! So if you had a slightly leaky pump or condensation from the pump, early non vented Opti's would short out. Also the bearings and seals were notorious for early failure. GM fixed it with a vented unit around '95 but they were still prone to failure until they phased out the LT engines.

Most swap systems take the high voltage side and use a coil or HEI system, while maintaining the timing/low voltage element from the Opti. This eliminates much of the issues as I understand it and allows for a more reliable ignition system. Doesn't TOTALLY remove the system, but builds on it to make it something less to worry about.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
1995z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
The Opti is a good concept, but it was just executed in production half assed.

Optispark is a timing system that uses an optical sensor rather than magnets or other sensing elements to properly detect crankshaft location and thus time the spark for the ignition sequence in the engine.

GM installed the thing under the water pump on LT engines, and the one thing these things hate is MOISTURE! So if you had a slightly leaky pump or condensation from the pump, early non vented Opti's would short out. Also the bearings and seals were notorious for early failure. GM fixed it with a vented unit around '95 but they were still prone to failure until they phased out the LT engines.

Most swap systems take the high voltage side and use a coil or HEI system, while maintaining the timing/low voltage element from the Opti. This eliminates much of the issues as I understand it and allows for a more reliable ignition system. Doesn't TOTALLY remove the system, but builds on it to make it something less to worry about.
so in your opinion what would you recommend in replace of the opti?
Old 10-30-2011, 04:29 AM   #14
bluetorp

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
Definitely replace the Opti-crap, for the reasons noted already.

You can do the standard bolt-ons: headers, intake, throttle body, pulleys, etc. Texas Speed still lists a good selection of LT1 parts on their website, all the way up to 383 stroker rotating assemblies.

The LT1 is a little long in the tooth, and doesn't enjoy the same aftermarket footprint that the Gen1 and Gen3+ motors do, unfortunately. An LT1 stroker is a blast stoplight to stoplight, though.

Tags
4th gen, engine, performace, transmission, upgrade