Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #15
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I did not have one on for 25K miles on my L99. Put one on and would catch about 3-5 ounces every oil change. I put Seafoam in the gas tank at 35K miles and went from 22 on highway to 25 on highway. So it cleaned up some carbon build up on the valves that had happened in the first 25K.

My LS3 had a catch can on her since 500 miles. Would of been on there day of delivery but Mike Norris was out of town on tuning trip.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
i'm aware of how it works with my V6. I'm curious what the V8 does differently that makes it a non issue ?
Currently only the V6's are/were DI, the L99 and LS3 V8s are not DI engines if that is part of what you're asking.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #17
Gator6977

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Guess I'm the guy who drives it like I stole it... I dump mine, and I went the cheap route off of eBay, every oil change. Just a couple weeks ago, I dumped mine and found about 1 1/4 cups worth of oil. Ideally, I would rather catch it before it gets sent back in the intake to "burn" up. And from the countless threads I've read all seem to have a great deal of info arguing longevity. For me and my ride, it's a definate must-have!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #18
mixedguy

Drives: 2013 LT2 RS
link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator6977 View Post
Guess I'm the guy who drives it like I stole it... I dump mine, and I went the cheap route off of eBay, every oil change. Just a couple weeks ago, I dumped mine and found about 1 1/4 cups worth of oil. Ideally, I would rather catch it before it gets sent back in the intake to "burn" up. And from the countless threads I've read all seem to have a great deal of info arguing longevity. For me and my ride, it's a definate must-have!
can you send me the link to the catch can you bought off of ebay. Thanks
mixedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #19
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCamaro20 View Post
how important is a catch can? what can happen if i dont get one? i already have 27,000 miles and no catch can yet
Important to me. Check out this thread. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112367

As far as the cheap cans go, good luck with those. I tested three cans and while all caught oil tow of them also allowed oil to be pulled through and into the intake. Sure getting any can is better than none, but what is the point getting one in the first place only to go cheap and get one that doesn't do it's job efficiently.

Most of the people that tell you you don't need a catch can are the ones that have never hooked one up to see what it does.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #20
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Catch cans are absolutely not needed. The oil is sucked back into the engine because the intake runners, throttle body, valves, spark plug tips, and the tops of the pistons all need extra lubrication. Some oil even runs back down into the oil pan. It's the ultimate green energy concept of recycling
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #21
Blues45th

Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
I'm sure the cans work but the cans themselves might have issues. Driving it hard when you first get the car helps a great deal with braking the engine in. Agree with Dave on alot of what he says. And really it's become more a camaro 5 push product. Remember who runs the site guys lol. VENDORS ?!?!?!
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #22
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by james347 View Post
Catch cans are absolutely not needed. The oil is sucked back into the engine because the intake runners, throttle body, valves, spark plug tips, and the tops of the pistons all need extra lubrication. Some oil even runs back down into the oil pan. It's the ultimate green energy concept of recycling
Interesting perhaps read this.. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68744

A friend of mine didnt have a catch can and I did. When he took his manifold off it was not clean. Took off my manifold and it was very clean. We both had V6 Camaros at the time. I still do he does not. As far as V8's since the V8 does not use direct injection then there are ways of cleaning the engine other than a catch can.

I would just rather empty a can than go through the seafoam. Just easier I do my oil change and empty the can not so hard.
Ir0nM4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI HLK View Post
Interesting perhaps read this.. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68744

A friend of mine didnt have a catch can and I did. When he took his manifold off it was not clean. Took off my manifold and it was very clean. We both had V6 Camaros at the time. I still do he does not. As far as V8's since the V8 does not use direct injection then there are ways of cleaning the engine other than a catch can.

I would just rather empty a can than go through the seafoam. Just easier I do my oil change and empty the can not so hard.
Sorry, I was trying to be sarcastic. I totally believe in catch cans.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #24
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yeah, go ask the VW dealerships (Was it VW or Audi?) that are having to strip heads down so they can hand-clean the oil sludge off of the intake valves how important a catch can is.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #25
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
so lets see if i got this right. the catch can is good for people that drive the car like they stole something right? if i drive my car normal i should not worrie about it?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #26
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I don't have one and don't plan to buy one. If it was that important GM would have designed one into the car. The only people that will try to convince you that it's needed are the ones that are making the catch cans.

I have talked to a couple guys that bought the catch can, they both have V8's. One said he hasn't seen a drop of anything in his catch can, the other said he had a slight film of oil inside of the can. To costly and not necessary in my opinion.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #27
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Absolutely needed on the V6, V8 not so much but can't hurt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #28
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
I don't have one and don't plan to buy one. If it was that important GM would have designed one into the car. The only people that will try to convince you that it's needed are the ones that are making the catch cans.

I have talked to a couple guys that bought the catch can, they both have V8's. One said he hasn't seen a drop of anything in his catch can, the other said he had a slight film of oil inside of the can. To costly and not necessary in my opinion.

Russ
I agree. Some have 'seen' benefits from them and some haven't. I can assure you your car will run 100k miles without a moments trouble without one, with proper maintenance granted. Probably further.
There isn't a right or wrong answer and opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote