Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-18-2015, 11:00 PM   #1
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Swapping gears?

Hey guys 2014 1LS here. The ultimate goal is to go with fabberge's twin turbo kit. For now I'd like to swap gears to get a little seat of the paints feeling while saving for turbos. I know i can't go with anything too steep in fact some might say to keep the 3.27s in but I'd really like to step up to an ss rear end with 3.45s or possiblyn3.55s or 3.70s gear sets. Any little increase to help get these cars moving will help. Any ideas guys?

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:32 AM   #2
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
I am planning on going down the same path. I actually intend on getting the 3.91 kit installed.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
3.73 is a really good gear the V6. 3.91 might even be ok. Even with forced induction on the V6 you will be ok with a somewhat aggressive set of rear end gears as long as you have good tires and the appropriate suspension supporting mods.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
crc91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
3.73 is a really good gear the V6. 3.91 might even be ok. Even with forced induction on the V6 you will be ok with a somewhat aggressive set of rear end gears as long as you have good tires and the appropriate suspension supporting mods.

Thanks for the response apex! The goal for the car is. 500 rwhp out of the TT setup. I realize I'll need a little more than what the kit offers but even at that power level would a 3.91 gear be ok for a turbo car? I'd imagine it'd get me to the sweet spot of the turbos pretty quickly. Would you go 3.73 or 3.91? And the car may see a few trips to the strip but will primarily be a street car with the focus on road racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I wouldn't go with 3.91s with the v6 manual car. The trans gears are too low.

You'd be stuck in a position where your first gear would be too low and kinda useless, and your 2nd gear would be too high almost like a 2LS with 2.92 gears taking off in first.

Sure you want 500hp, but what do you want to do with it? Do you want to drag race? Do the math and see how many times you'll have to shift... If you're shifting 5 times manually before you ever get to the finish line, you're wasting time.

3.73 gears in your manual transmission v6 car would be like 4.11 gears in an automatic transmission v6 car.

3.55 gears in your man trans v6 would be like 3.91 in the automatic v6.

3.45 gears would be like a 3.80 (doesn't exist, but that's what it works out to math wise.)

I say put 3.45 in it, they're cheap to get and they're everywhere.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
crc91

Interesting response. No drag racing isn't the priority. Daily driver and a weekend road racer.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
Thanks for the response apex! The goal for the car is. 500 rwhp out of the TT setup. I realize I'll need a little more than what the kit offers but even at that power level would a 3.91 gear be ok for a turbo car? I'd imagine it'd get me to the sweet spot of the turbos pretty quickly. Would you go 3.73 or 3.91? And the car may see a few trips to the strip but will primarily be a street car with the focus on road racing.
If 500rwhp is your goal I wouldn't go beyond 3.73.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
crc91

So 3.91s are a no go? 3.73s and twin turbos should play nice together?

Old 11-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #9
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
go 3.45's imho.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #10
crc91

Does anyone know what the SS rearend is rated at compared to the manual v6?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Interesting response. No drag racing isn't the priority. Daily driver and a weekend road racer.

It's not interesting, it's simple math.

Quote:
So 3.91s are a no go? 3.73s and twin turbos should play nice together?

People buy the 3.91s because they are cheap, IMO they aren't the best choice (depending on your transmission, and goals) but that's just my personal opinion. That said, you can't even get 3.55 gears that I can see for your rear end as you already have the 8.6" rear, so basically your choices are 3.45, 3.73, 3.91, and stupid low beyond that.

IMO, just save your money for the turbo kit and start with the gears you have... If you can't do it yourself, it's going to cost you quite a bit of money just to swap gears in your rear end. Yeah you could buy a whole spare rear end have the gears swapped out, and then swap the rear in, but... Why?

You're looking at about $725 bucks in parts if you buy 3.73 gears, and a half install kit from our good friends at Apex, plus labor to setup the gears, plus fluids, plus labor to install if you aren't going to do it yourself.

You're talking about saving up for the turbo kit, and you're going to buy a spare engine to have built for the turbo kit. If you have the funds, more power to you. But if you have to save, and talking about buying something else that could potentially cost you close to 1/4 of the cost of the turbo kit (worst case scenario) depending on how it gets done, why not just keep saving? Start with "the good stuff" rather than the piddly stuff.

Look at what's already being done with the Fabberge v6 TT kit on stock gears, damn near in the 11's... Math wise, you already have a lower gear than the auto guys.

Food for thought, and again; Just simple math. I have absolutely nothing to gain off of you from a monetary standpoint trying to answer your question, I'm just looking at it as logically as possible from a math stand point, and a "what would I do" stand point. I hope you take no offense to my rant.

I just put 3.27 gears in my G8 GT... Why not 3.91? Because math. You can blow the tires off, or you can hook up and go. Spinnin' ain't winnin'
Old 11-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #12
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
^ this.
You keep talking about building your car more and more and changing scenarios every time. You need to start with something and pull the freaking trigger, then change things as time goes. Run the kit stock and you'll enjoy it. Add to it as time goes.

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Turbine View Post
^ this.
You keep talking about building your car more and more and changing scenarios every time. You need to start with something and pull the freaking trigger, then change things as time goes. Run the kit stock and you'll enjoy it. Add to it as time goes.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #14
crc91

Appreciate the response guys! No offense taken!

Tags
gears, lfx, turbos