Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
Driver's side mirror darkens for no reason!

This is really getting annoying. It seems my driver's side mirror gets dark and light at the wrong times. At night when I turn on the interior light it dims. Then at times it dims when nobody is even near me in the left lane. Is something wrong or is it detecting light from behind or on the right side of me? All I know is it makes it very hard to see. The rear view mirror isn't behaving this way. Is there a way to disable this feature?
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
Yes. You need to pop the mirror out. Get some plastic trim tools for working on cars: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-67021.html

Turn your driver's side mirror so that it points all the way down. Stuff a rag between the mirror and the painted housing to protect the paint. Pry down just off-center in 2 places to pop the upper clips. The bottom clips should be easy to pry once the top clips are loose.

There are 4 wires connected to the back of the mirror. The 2 outer wires control dimming, and the 2 inner control heating. The outer wires are soldered onto exposed metal parts of the mirror (the inner wires plug into tabs). You will need to cut one of these outer wires between the soldered part and the plug (so it can be fixed later if desired). Wrap both ends of the cut with electrical tape to prevent shorts.

That should stop the auto dim, while still allowing the heated defrosting.

To put the mirror back, line it up with the 4 clips, and press in the middle with a rag to pop it back in. Test your mirror controls on the door and make sure that the mirror moves in the housing.
Attached Images

Last edited by yzark99; 09-19-2015 at 11:16 PM. Reason: new photo
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:55 AM   #3
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
Yes. You need to pop the mirror out. Get some plastic trim tools for working on cars: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-67021.html

Turn your driver's side mirror so that it points all the way down. Stuff a rag between the mirror and the painted housing to protect the paint. Pry down just off-center in 2 places to pop the upper clips. The bottom clips should be easy to pry once the top clips are loose.

There are 4 wires connected to the back of the mirror. The 2 outer wires control dimming, and the 2 inner control heating. The outer wires are soldered onto exposed metal parts of the mirror (the inner wires plug into tabs). You will need to cut one of these outer wires between the soldered part and the plug (so it can be fixed later if desired). Wrap both ends of the cut with electrical tape to prevent shorts.

To put the mirror back, line it up with the 4 clips, and press in the middle with a rag to pop it back in. Test your mirror controls on the door and make sure that the mirror moves in the housing.
Thanks. So I take it this means it's not malfunctioning, it just sucks?

BTW, Was looking at your other mods. You didn't post details on how put an ignition key on your locking gas cap. How is that done?
Old 09-20-2015, 06:26 AM   #4
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post

I was just thinking. Wouldn't it be easier just to put a piece of tape over the sensor (wherever that is)?
Old 09-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Have any giant fuzzy dice on the mirror? I wonder if the sensor is up there being blocked or dirty bad ..... if you kept it tapes it would make it auto darkened. I do not know if the autosensing works all the systems including the side mirror but I would start there as auto changing changes the stereo/dash illumination along with the rear view mirror.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Very cool write-up. But if still under warranty and it's malfunctioning I'd take it to the dealer.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

I doubt a 2011 is still under warranty.

Quote:
Thanks. So I take it this means it's not malfunctioning, it just sucks?

BTW, Was looking at your other mods. You didn't post details on how put an ignition key on your locking gas cap. How is that done?
It sounds like it's malfunctioning. A dealer might be able to just to replace the mirror for $200 (these aren't cheap), or maybe it's something else that's really expensive.

I don't know where the sensor is on the outside mirror; I can't find one. I suspect that it may be tied into the rearview mirror's sensor. I know that my rearview mirror never dims, probably because I'm so tall that the sensor is pointing into the headliner. Bad design.

The locking gas cap that uses your ignition key was figured out by another poster: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...coding+gas+cap
Old 09-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Have any giant fuzzy dice on the mirror? I wonder if the sensor is up there being blocked or dirty bad ..... if you kept it tapes it would make it auto darkened. I do not know if the autosensing works all the systems including the side mirror but I would start there as auto changing changes the stereo/dash illumination along with the rear view mirror.
Nothing on the mirror. Besides, if it was blocked it wouldn't dim. It's light that tells it to dim.

Where's the sensor located on a mirror that has On-Star?
Old 09-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Top dead center. You can see it when the mirror is reflecting a light surface.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #10
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
I used a hole punch to cut out a circle of electrical tape, and covered the sensor on the inside, rearview mirror (pictured earlier in this thread). You have to really look hard to notice it?

It does away with the annoying, auto dim feature (made even worse by tinted windows!).

Easy, quick and cheap!
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #11
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
Yeah, I was never a fan of how dark the mirrors get. They're almost useless when at full dim.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #12
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTDIESEL View Post
I used a hole punch to cut out a circle of electrical tape, and covered the sensor on the inside, rearview mirror (pictured earlier in this thread). You have to really look hard to notice it?

It does away with the annoying, auto dim feature (made even worse by tinted windows!).

Easy, quick and cheap!
Are there screws to get it open or you just pry it off?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #13
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Attached Images

kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:27 PM   #14
GoTopless

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
The easiest way I found was to keep the whole assembly on the vehicle. Tilt the mirror all the way to the down position. You can access little earlike tabs that are on the mirror backing in the housing. They fit into the uprights on each side of those little clip tabs. Take a small flat head and gently pry forward on those earlike tabs one side at a time. Both clips on either side of the up rights pop off the backing base. Then repeat on the other side same procedure. Now the bottom clips are the only ones that need to be unclipped. Gently pull the mirror down and back towards you and it pops off. I tried the pry at the corners and was afraid i was going to break the glass so i looked for a better way.
GoTopless is offline   Reply With Quote