Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
catman, is there a specific reason why you don't launch at a higher rpm? I thought the reason behind getting drag radials or slicks is so you can launch at higher rpms and not have it spin

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
catman, is there a specific reason why you don't launch at a higher rpm? I thought the reason behind getting drag radials or slicks is so you can launch at higher rpms and not have it spin
That was always my impression too. It always seemed like I was spinning no matter what I launched at. When I did the 1.936 I had a great burnout. Now that I am getting the hang of these drag radials and the burnout. I am going to increase the rpm's again and see if I can get that GREAT launch I really want. I have some suspension goodies to help keep things under control, so hopefully I can make it all work.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Yeah I remember catman and I had discussed the low sidewall, 18 inch radials. I think they are ideal for the auto cars. They give you the simulated gear and less rotational mass which helps our heavy cars.
I had trouble with them personally. The manual cars have a super high 1st gear ratio and adding the simulated gear makes it even harder to launch the car. It can definitely be done, its just real difficult. Keep in mind the manual cars make almost 15-20 more whp than the autos stock, and I was launching at 3k...
I'm going to try and get another set and launch at ~1.7k.
Something to realize with radials, that took me too long to figure out, is that they will spin just like a street tire. The thing that makes them better is that they hook at higher power levels/rpm than street tires and once they hook they stay hooked. Street tires hook much lower, and break loose much easier. You don't just throw on radials and then just launch real high and hook. It is a more fine art than you'd realize.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #18
lscamaro

Maybe just throw on some slicks and call it a day?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
HDRS
Fastest V6

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS 06 G6 GTP conv.
Quote:
Maybe just throw on some slicks and call it a day?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #20
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRS View Post
I thought of your car as soon as I finished typing that

Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
Netraa

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
So, i guess my bad news is that I picked up a used set of 315's ntr05's i'm going to have some issues.

What all are they going to be.... not getting them warm enough, just to damn heavy and too much inertia,

I'm going to use what's left on these up, and make a decision on where to go from there.

Of course, there is going to be a screw of some sort, or spray on the beast at some point, when it's time for the next upgrade so in that case they might be just right.
Netraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I read a post by a automatic ZL1 owner (one of the top guys on the fast list) who explained that on the stock tires he also was getting the best 60' by launching from a near stock idle. He said holding the brakes in and trying for higher revs resulted in worse times.

Something about flashing the converter (similar to how scrming has described it in the past) is better than running the rpms up.

So although I'm speaking a bit vague here, and by no means an expert in this subject, I sometimes wonder if the auto simply should just launched from near idle no matter what? Maybe holding the RPMs up and releasing the brakes results in a slow engagement of the transmission.

Of course, I'm talking about a stock transmission and not something like Gretchen is running which engages at a much higher rpm.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
lscamaro

I've run my best times holding the rpms at about 750 - 1000. Depending on how the track is prepped and the weather. Anything more and I go up in a flurry of smoke lmao. I also get better times with all the nannies off and me judging how much and when to give it gas.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Would a 295 tire be to much? I just purchased a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires / Forgestar F14 Rims. I used a scale to weight my stock rims / tires @ 63.6 lbs
My new set up is 60 lbs. I wonder if I could get a burn out on them... Just once as I dont want to lose allot of money.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #25
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI HLK View Post
Would a 295 tire be to much? I just purchased a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires / Forgestar F14 Rims. I used a scale to weight my stock rims / tires @ 63.6 lbs
My new set up is 60 lbs. I wonder if I could get a burn out on them... Just once as I dont want to lose allot of money.

Yes, you shoulbe able to get them to spin. All nannies off, foot on brake and give it some good gas. Slowly release the brake just enough to not move but let the tires spin more. That was the issue I found with the 305 DR. I could hold them back with the brake, or didn't have enough power to over come the brake.

One way to find out........ GO SMOKE - EM and let us know how things go.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #26
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI HLK View Post
I'm sure you could get a good burn out on them but man those tires are way expensive to be burning out
Hell go buy a really cheap set of drag wheels and drag tires and go to town with those

Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
I'm sure you could get a good burn out on them but man those tires are way expensive to be burning out
Hell go buy a really cheap set of drag wheels and drag tires and go to town with those

rtcat600man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #28
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Maybe just throw on some slicks and call it your best day
Fixed.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote