Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
mc_acoustic

Drives: 2010 1LT Limited Edition Camaro A6
V6 and Premium fuel?

Just curious...

I have a V6 2010 camaro... I usually run 87 octane fuel....

Is there any benefit going to 89 or 91 or higher?

More horse? Better mileage? Smoother ride?

Just curious since the manual says 87 or higher...

Was wondering if anyone did the research and found out anything
mc_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
I hear you get a nice placebo effect
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Is less timing being pulled a placebo effect? Is a slightly smoother and stronger dyno result a placebo effect?

A fair amount of research has been done on this forum over the past few years, showing what I stated above.

My honest opinion is this: Yes running a higher octane can be beneficial, but are the results from doing so are probably not big enough to be real noticeable.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Is less timing being pulled a placebo effect? Is a slightly smoother and stronger dyno result a placebo effect?

A fair amount of research has been done on this forum over the past few years, showing what I stated above.

My honest opinion is this: Yes running a higher octane can be beneficial, but are the results from doing so are probably not big enough to be real noticeable.
Key here is "benefit" in which the OP asked. Is it beneficial to spend more money on higher octane to gain what?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
If you are drag racing then I would use premium. Its going to be expensive filling up the car anyways, huge fuel tank.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
If you are drag racing then I would use premium. Its going to be expensive filling up the car anyways, huge fuel tank.
Hey you! When are we heading to Thunder Valley again?

Also, to the OP... I use 87. Some say that oh, it must mean I don't love my car, blah blah blah, but the fact is that the 30-50cent difference between 87 and premium adds up. I bought the V6 so I could use cheaper fuel because my car is a DD that's gotten 66k in two years. If I thought 87 was going to tear it up, I'd use premium, but for me the benefits just aren't enough to make me switch over.

But there are a host of different ideas and points of view on this. Use the search and you'll see a lot of threads.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
The_Grinch

Drives: car
If you have a stick and want a little forgiveness on taking off from a Dead Stop, go with Premium. I have killed the car several times on regular 87 oct. never on 92 or 93. I am sure you other Manual owners know the frustration of the deadband that the LLT has just as the clutch starts disengaging.
The_Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I have only ran 93 since I have owned the car. The dealer probably put 87 in the first tank but since then It has been 93. I don't drive my car every day and I really fill the thank up maybe once every 4 months so the extra couple of dollars so no big deal.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
The ONLY time you'll benefit from higher octane is if you're having a issue with the lower octane fuel. If the 87 in your area isn't causing your engine to knock, buying higher octane will do absolutely nothing but lighten your bank account. There isn't a high and low octane table in the PCM, like the SS has. As long as you're not knocking, the PCM is giving you all the timing that's available in the OEM tune.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
like someone mentioned above, this car is my daily...so i use 89 in the camaro (didnt notice a difference from the first tank of 87 the dealership put in there), but i use 93 octane in my rx8.
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
IMO I'm only throwing money away if I put anything higher than 87 in the tank.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
The ONLY time you'll benefit from higher octane is if you're having a issue with the lower octane fuel. If the 87 in your area isn't causing your engine to knock, buying higher octane will do absolutely nothing but lighten your bank account. There isn't a high and low octane table in the PCM, like the SS has. As long as you're not knocking, the PCM is giving you all the timing that's available in the OEM tune.
The problem is, there is quite a bit of KR with the LLT on 87 octane. You get a bit more timing (and power) if you use higher octane. However, there are no timing tables, as you said above, so you don't have to do a fuse pull to get the benefit when switching back and forth. When you want the extra power for the track, just fill up with 93 the day before and engage in a little spirited driving. In between days at the track, just run 87 and save some money.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
Hey you! When are we heading to Thunder Valley again?

Also, to the OP... I use 87. Some say that oh, it must mean I don't love my car, blah blah blah, but the fact is that the 30-50cent difference between 87 and premium adds up. I bought the V6 so I could use cheaper fuel because my car is a DD that's gotten 66k in two years. If I thought 87 was going to tear it up, I'd use premium, but for me the benefits just aren't enough to make me switch over.

But there are a host of different ideas and points of view on this. Use the search and you'll see a lot of threads.
We might head out there at the end of May, we are going to Tulsa in 2 weeks though. Got my new tune and will be doing a Datalog there.

OP, are you planning any major mods?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Bobaloo
Member "O'l Farts"

Drives: 2012 SS Coupe/Automatic/Sunroof
One asset yet to be mentioned is additives in premium fuel. I used to run a tank full every 3 or 4 fill-ups as I believe that premium fuel has more cleanning additives. It sure won't hurt anything but as some say it is considerably more expensive. Now I only run Shell premium.