Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-23-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
skippa1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Auto
Removing ECU - what happens?

Hi all, sorry admin if this is in the wrong category, couldn't decide where was best.

I need to take out the ECU 2014 2SS. Do I need to disconnect the battery and if I do, what do I lose? Does the stereo have a code or anything like older cars had?
skippa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Are you replacing the ECU? It needs programming.
Power off you should read up on window relearn e.g. leave door open so the window isn't stuck in up position on battery disconnect before you do a relearn.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
bayarea408

Drives: T
i disconnected my battery to and took the ECU out. My tuner needed to make adjustments for the fueling i changed so i could limp drive the car to get tuned.

For what its worth, i installed the ECU back in upside down so the wires free up from being all bunched up at the bottom, made clearances for turbo MUCH BETTER. You inspect the mounting tables and break 1 off and the ECU clips back in upside down if you need.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #4
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Nothing will happen if you disconnect a ECU for whatever reasons regardless of battery connected or not. I have done both ways on a few cars depending on exactly what we have going on. If you keep battery connected, just don’t put key in ignition at all until you reconnect ECU. Majority of times we only disconnect battery if working on the starter or actually cutting into a direct wire harness.

If you do disconnect the battery on a gen5, you should not be able to fully close trunk until you reconnect. However, I alway stick a microfiber cloth on the trunk lower loop catch just to be certain it don’t somehow lock down.

Hope this helps ya!

Last edited by Jayjellyfish212; 02-07-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Jayjellyfish212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Op the stock stereo has memory even if you disconnect a battery. Gen5 specific, I had my battery out once for 5 months during a full engine bay rewire and I was surprised when I reconnected the battery the thing still stored all my stations. Usually if you disconnect battery and later reconnect, you’ll only see the tire sensors at - -, once you drive the car it will reset the pressure reading.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #6
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
ECU Mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea408 View Post
i disconnected my battery to and took the ECU out. My tuner needed to make adjustments for the fueling i changed so i could limp drive the car to get tuned.

For what its worth, i installed the ECU back in upside down so the wires free up from being all bunched up at the bottom, made clearances for turbo MUCH BETTER. You inspect the mounting tables and break 1 off and the ECU clips back in upside down if you need.
Do you have pix of the tab you removed and the ECU installed upside down??
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
bayarea408

Drives: T
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Do you have pix of the tab you removed and the ECU installed upside down??

I can try to take and upload a picture later. when you have the ecu out in hand and attempt to mount it in backwards there was 1 small tab that didnt really do much to hold it into place backwards. i trimmed it off.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote