Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #29
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post
Thought you guys might enjoy this story.

So roughly a year ago I was about to head down to Seattle to grab my brand new 2012 which was on the lot - Black on black Camaro. After contacting the dealer, sorting out a price, and negotiating everything I was ready to leave.

Huge excitement on my part, I was counting down the days like a 10 year old on Christmas. Day of the transaction I get in contact with the dealership to let them know that I will be there in roughly 6 hours as I am driving over from Canada.

Dealer goes silent, tells me sorry deals off. I ask why. He tells me "we are not allowed to sell cars to Canadians". I ask him why? He tells me its a agreement GM has with the Canadian version of the company.

This is absolute discriminatory garbage...to this day, they still will not sell a brand new car off of their lot to Canadians. YET the opposite is possible here.

I find this to be highly offensive, it almost made me turn away from GM forever. Luckily the Camaro did the persuasion and I still bought one in private avoiding all dealerships.

I still cannot believe they would do such a thing...
I mean it sounds like the Canadian side made it so you can't buy them here...not us. Sounds like the dealership is just following the policy someone in Canada set up. I could be wrong . Either way though...yeah that bs

Last edited by AdamZ; 07-01-2012 at 12:22 AM.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #30
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
But why is it then that when the dollar is in favor of America such as currently. Americans are allowed to come here and buy up all of the Canadian cars and take them home.

This seems like a one way policy. I would agree with it if it where 2 way. But this is 100% targeted at charging Canadians more.
Its not just Canadians. To the best of my knowledge, an individual cannot buy a new American car with the intent of exporting it -regardless of the brand or your nationality. It just so happens that it most commonly occurs with Canadians right now because the dollar is near parity and it doesn't cost much to get a car accross the border. Sending a car to Europe or Asia is a slightly harder task. Plus, we don't hear about their news stories regarding car importation -just as (I assume) they don't hear of ours.

Quote:
That is not what the news here showed. Showed Canadian cars being bought up and taken south.

Yes I know it is most manufacturers. Funny though, if you search enough you WILL find a dealership that wants your money.
If you look hard enough, you can find a guy that will sell you a fresh human kidney ... doesn't make it a legit deal though.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #31
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its not just Canadians. To the best of my knowledge, an individual cannot buy a new American car with the intent of exporting it -regardless of the brand or your nationality. It just so happens that it most commonly occurs with Canadians right now because the dollar is near parity and it doesn't cost much to get a car accross the border. Sending a car to Europe or Asia is a slightly harder task. Plus, we don't hear about their news stories regarding car importation -just as (I assume) they don't hear of ours.

If you look hard enough, you can find a guy that will sell you a fresh human kidney ... doesn't make it a legit deal though.
Your comparison is grossly exaggerated. You are comparing the disturbing act of harvesting and selling of human internals to that of buying a car cross country and bringing it home...

So you are saying that this is a fair policy? Would you still say this if the shoe was on the other foot?

I implore you to go to Google right now and compare Canadian prices to those of American prices on cars. Tell me if that is fair to you? Or simply price gauging. The average difference in prices is roughly 20-30% sometimes.

I could pick up an LS in the states for 19 k easy - brand new, while here I would be lucky ti get 26k.

It is easy to say something is more than fair when you are not the one being affected negatively or if something does not affect you in any manner.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #32
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Your comparison is grossly exaggerated. You are comparing the disturbing act of harvesting and selling of human internals to that of buying a car cross country and bringing it home...

So you are saying that this is a fair policy? Would you still say this if the shoe was on the other foot?

I implore you to go to Google right now and compare Canadian prices to those of American prices on cars. Tell me if that is fair to you? Or simply price gauging. The average difference in prices is roughly 20-30% sometimes.

I could pick up an LS in the states for 19 k easy - brand new, while here I would be lucky ti get 26k.

It is easy to say something is more than fair when you are not the one being affected negatively or if something does not affect you in any manner.
He didn't say it was fair, he just said that it is.

Personally I think the idea of a warranty ending before 10 years is unfair. If you're going to spend 20k+ on a car, then I think that the manufacturer damn well be sure that it will last 10 years. Of course, bumper-to-bumper is only 3 years.

Again, not fair, but nothing we can do about it unfortunately.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #33
ChriSS84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS
Buy one in Canada. What's the big deal? Oh you weren't able to come to America and buy it cheaper and then take it home. Get over it and stop crying.
ChriSS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:19 AM   #34
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChriSS84 View Post
Buy one in Canada. What's the big deal? Oh you weren't able to come to America and buy it cheaper and then take it home. Get over it and stop crying.
5K seems like a big deal to me... I would be just as pissed as the OP.

I'm sure if you bought the same car your neighbor has for 5K more, you'd be pissed too.

It's easy to say what's the big deal, when you're not the one paying more...

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 AM   #35
Johnny Kanuk

Drives: 2012 1LT/RS
I just bought a 2012 1LT/RS M6 about a month ago, wanted the 2LT but just couldn't swing it. Anyways, a friend that works for the American division of my company bought a 2012 2LT/RS 45th A6, we compared prices. He paid for his what I paid for mine. He was shocked and couldn't beleive it. Then I had to break it to him I had to pay 13% tax on top of that. All I can say is welcome to Canada, please check you wallet at the door.

Rember, Beauty is fleeting.
Crazy, that lasts forever.
Johnny Kanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #36
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChriSS84 View Post
Wow. This is such a rudely ignorant, blatantly arrogant response. What's the big deal? I would say the big deal is paying roughly $5000-$6000 more for the same product simply because corporations know that they can gauge certain population cohorts. It is sad to see that people still think this way. Such a selfish attitude. I advise you to go learn some empathy for others.

This whole attitude of if it does not affect or hurt me then who cares is fairly elementary/ grade school. This is exactly why corporations are able to gauge and cheat because people say who cares did not affect this time.

I doubt you would enjoy paying more for your car while I paid $6000 less. I am sire you would make a bit of noise as well.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #37
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
5K seems like a big deal to me... I would be just as pissed as the OP.

I'm sure if you bought the same car your neighbor has for 5K more, you'd be pissed too.

It's easy to say what's the big deal, when you're not the one paying more...

Check out the price difference on the Corvette between Canada and the US, the difference there is just offensive, the price of another car.

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #38
kylenewman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Canadians always pay higher prices it will always remain that way. That's the cost of having a Canadian style government higher taxes, fees and higher prices. It'll be happening soon enough here to..
kylenewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #39
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:

Please note the listed location of residence for the person you replied to here...

Moderator.ca...
Niagara Canada... The shoe is on his foot...

And the reference to the purchase and sale of human organs was merely a descriptor of your comment about breaking the rules... Given time and desire, anyone can find someone to do whatever... but that doesn't make it right...

Personally, I would be upset about it, but the rule is there for some reason... I seriously doubt it was to GOUGE Canadian consumers. There are trade agreements that are negotiated and signed by both and/or all countries involved... I would imagine that's where you need to research...

We have some of the same issues when it comes to buying a car out of state... I don't pay taxes there, but I dang sure have to when I get it back home if I desire to drive it...

Since it seems to be industry wide and not GM specific, I'm willing to bet it is something way beyond GM's control... but you appear mad at them as they were the messenger...

Enjoy the Camaro...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #40
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
This is basically what my research found, as well the emails I exchanged with the dealership revealed. Its bullshit because in Canada dealerships will sell to Americans when the dollar is in America's favor...meaning it is a hypocritical law and obviously with everything you have said it makes sense but not when its a one way policy...clearly it is in favor of someone. There was a situation a few years back here when hundreds upon hundreds of Canadian vehicles were bought and shipped to America by dealerships because the dollar hit really high. Yet no policies were brought in...
the dollar hasn't been in America's favor for over 10 years now.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #41
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo View Post
. Wtf is wrong with companies nowadays?!
fear of trial lawyers.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #42
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
Is there no GM dealer anywhere near you in Canada? If they just didn't have the right car you wanted then you should have just placed an order.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote