Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #15
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
A stage 1 TSP, GPI or BTR PD cams are all nice options that won't kill drivability. I would recommend them to get in that power range. Check out the stage 4 build we just posted on this page. Car made 661rwhp without meth or E85. Cam, with full bolt ons (headers, intake, 102mm and a ported blower). That is about the max we go on a stock fuel pump. Running E85 requires about 30% more fuel so that DSX aux pump is a great option to go flex fuel. Keep in mind, your tuner is going to need to retune your car for E85 every time you need a retune. So we usually say to do the flex fuel tune last. Hit us up and we'll get you the best deal on the DSX flex fuel sensor/aux pump.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #16
Astatenate

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
Slide a BTR 1 or 2 in there, or a GP Tuning 1 or 2. If you want it to sound totally stock, put in an LS9 cam. Even the LS9 cam is worth 25-30rwhp over the anemic LSA cam. And of course the BTR and GP Tuning (or other "small" / "stage 1") cams will make even more than that.
Ahh there’s my homie! Coming to the rescue with your replies! So I was looking at the GPI SS1 cam. Seems to retain stock drivability. Only $750 with all included hardware. So not bad price. And local to me. That’s also who’s tuning the car. And my friend who’s been helping me install everything works there.

So currently, RF intake, SE headers, Corsa cat back and Elite catch can.

Next on mod list:
- 10” crank pulley, relocation bracket, 70” green gates belt
- 1200-1300cc injectors (is 1050 not enough? I read somewhere they’re good to 1000 whp but that was on an SS page)
- DSX aux fuel pump (and that works in conjunction with my stock fuel pump?)
- Flex fuel kit for e85
- dual fan HX
- 160 thermostat
- Reinforced IC brick
- NGK TR7IX plugs
- GPI SS1 cam

Am I lacking anything? When it comes to fueling. I’m a complete noob. I’ve never changed to flex fuel or e85 or injectors on any other build. So it’s all new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
A stage 1 TSP, GPI or BTR PD cams are all nice options that won't kill drivability. I would recommend them to get in that power range. Check out the stage 4 build we just posted on this page. Car made 661rwhp without meth or E85. Cam, with full bolt ons (headers, intake, 102mm and a ported blower). That is about the max we go on a stock fuel pump. Running E85 requires about 30% more fuel so that DSX aux pump is a great option to go flex fuel. Keep in mind, your tuner is going to need to retune your car for E85 every time you need a retune. So we usually say to do the flex fuel tune last. Hit us up and we'll get you the best deal on the DSX flex fuel sensor/aux pump.
X2 for you as well. You’ve been much help in the PM’s. Read above and throw in any advice you see fit. I’m trying to learn and not waste time / money on things I do / don’t need.
Astatenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #17
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astatenate View Post
So currently, RF intake, SE headers, Corsa cat back and Elite catch can.

Next on mod list:
- 10” crank pulley, relocation bracket, 70” green gates belt
- 1200-1300cc injectors (is 1050 not enough? I read somewhere they’re good to 1000 whp but that was on an SS page)
- DSX aux fuel pump (and that works in conjunction with my stock fuel pump?)
- Flex fuel kit for e85
- dual fan HX
- 160 thermostat
- Reinforced IC brick
- NGK TR7IX plugs
- GPI SS1 cam

Am I lacking anything? When it comes to fueling. I’m a complete noob. I’ve never changed to flex fuel or e85 or injectors on any other build. So it’s all new to me.
My opinion- if buying ID injectors, the 1050x will be ok for what you have there in your list. If you decide to go bigger one day (heads, ported or bigger blower, etc.) then you'll likely need 1300x. 1050x should support almost everything a stock displacement LSA with 1900 blower could put down, as long as you have good fuel pressure. The DSX kit should make sure of that- and yes, it works in addition to your stock pump.

So, the 1300x would just be needed if you decided to go a lot bigger (and you may need in-tank pumps at that point, too).

Maybe Juiced can confirm/deny that logic based on their experience.

I'd personally skip the 160 t-stat, but that's just me.

Oh, and make sure you upgrade the trunnions to a bushing kit, so you don't wind up with little roller bearings destroying your engine.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #18
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Nate my man going for round 2 of mods life is too short to stay stock lol. Been following along your posts and pretty excited for you on your build. It seems like your car is gunna wake up big time!
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:21 PM   #19
RyangAsh

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
750 without a cam is going to be difficult.
My set up is making about 720 wheel on a stock cam.. not all mods are listed in sig..
RyangAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:34 PM   #20
Astatenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
My opinion- if buying ID injectors, the 1050x will be ok for what you have there in your list. If you decide to go bigger one day (heads, ported or bigger blower, etc.) then you'll likely need 1300x. 1050x should support almost everything a stock displacement LSA with 1900 blower could put down, as long as you have good fuel pressure. The DSX kit should make sure of that- and yes, it works in addition to your stock pump.

So, the 1300x would just be needed if you decided to go a lot bigger (and you may need in-tank pumps at that point, too).

Maybe Juiced can confirm/deny that logic based on their experience.

I'd personally skip the 160 t-stat, but that's just me.

Oh, and make sure you upgrade the trunnions to a bushing kit, so you don't wind up with little roller bearings destroying your engine.
Yeah @Juiced. Let me know. If 1050x would work. I’d like to shoot for those. If 1300 is needed. Just let me know! Not too much diff in price. I don’t plan on porting SC or heads or bigger blower. I’m gonna keep motor factory and SC factory spec. That’s the most I’m willing to do. Car got dyno’d today. Made 548/526 with just headers, intake, corsa, catch can.

So next round of mods injectors (1050x , 1300??) , flex fuel kit, stage 1 GPI cam (so I can retain drivability, no need for stall, etc) , DSX fuel kit, 10.0” lower crank pulley, afco dual fan HX , reinforced IC brick and NGK TR7IX plugs! Why do you suggest against the 160 thermostat? Just curious?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
Nate my man going for round 2 of mods life is too short to stay stock lol. Been following along your posts and pretty excited for you on your build. It seems like your car is gunna wake up big time!
Haha thanks man. I’m stoked too! Car is getting dyno tuned today @ GPI. Yesterday it made 520 with a failing fuel pump. I got a new fuel pump ($1200 w/ labor) covered under warranty and they’re finishing tuning today. It put down 548/526 today as final #’s which is apparently a factory freak for an auto! They’re dyno is a Lower reading one more of a true # !
Old 03-31-2020, 03:53 PM   #21
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Why do you suggest against the 160 thermostat? Just curious?!
Has been proven to be unnecessary, and be problematic.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:14 PM   #22
Astatenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Has been proven to be unnecessary, and be problematic.
Word? I figured it would help. I’ll consulte with my tuner. But anyone have any personal experience with them?
Old 03-31-2020, 06:30 PM   #23
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
Quote:
Word? I figured it would help. I’ll consulte with my tuner. But anyone have any personal experience with them?
I have one on mine for over a year with no problem.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:36 PM   #24
Astatenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 View Post
I have one on mine for over a year with no problem.
I got 2 friends down here in the south and say it’s the cheapest cooling mod they did and honestly helped a lot. No issues.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:59 PM   #25
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
No issues with a 160 t-stat either.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:23 AM   #26
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
Quote:
I got 2 friends down here in the south and say it’s the cheapest cooling mod they did and honestly helped a lot. No issues.
I don’t know if it helps a lot. Mines still runs 190-195*in the summer. I have my fans come on early and my intercooler pump on at all times.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:14 AM   #27
Astatenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
No issues with a 160 t-stat either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 View Post
I don’t know if it helps a lot. Mines still runs 190-195*in the summer. I have my fans come on early and my intercooler pump on at all times.
Good to hear guys! I mean if there’s a downside I’ve seen issues reported from northern people where the car wasn’t getting to operating temps for a long time. But where it’s consistently HOT. I’ve heard of no issues.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #28
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
The 160 stat shouldn't hurt anything. Just make sure you let your tuner know that it's in there so they can adjust the tune accordinglly.

I would recommend the ID1300 or a set of FIC 127lb injectors. 1000cc injectors will be pretty maxed out on E85 around your estimated power level.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote