Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #29
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I like the ZL1-1LE and ZR1 and I also loved these two. I hated my 04 GTO spoiler and held out for the blade spoiler on the 16 SS. No absolutes.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #30
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Im reading all these posts across the boards about putting the ZL1 1LE's high wing spoiler on other models of the Gen6 Camaro. It made me think of way back in 2009 when GM offered a high wing spoiler for the Gen5 and most people called it ricer and made fun of anyone that dare say they wanted one. Fast forward to 2018. GM puts one on the fastest Camaro ever to be produced and now they are cool with everyone wanting one. GM just made ricer cool.
That's because the 5th gen one looks like crap, and the 6th gen one doesn't. Also, just because people are ok with it on the ZL1 1LE doesn't mean they all want a giant wing on the back of their daily driver.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #31
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
That's because the 5th gen one looks like crap, and the 6th gen one doesn't. Also, just because people are ok with it on the ZL1 1LE doesn't mean they all want a giant wing on the back of their daily driver.
Not trying to argue. But I see it different.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #32
Miss Delgado

Drives: Toyota Prius
I'm an engineer by trade and I can tell you this new ZL1 1LE high wing helps greatly with aerodynamics. So much so, I am thinking seriously of buying the new ZL1 1LE or ZL1 and adding the wing. Wings help in aircraft and other forms of transportation. The stock wing on the ZL1 and all the other Camaros are for looks only. Maybe the 14/15 Z28 wing works only.
Miss Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #33
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
They are called spoilers. You will not find anyone educated call them "wings". Spoilers have a very different function.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Really ? Which group are you?

Wing:

"An automotive airfoil is shaped like an upside-down airplane wing — it deflects airflow upward to generate down-force on the rear of the vehicle. This does NOT particularly improve aerodynamics. In fact, an aggressive airfoil adds a substantial amount of drag, in exchange for more traction at high speeds. You see these on Formula 1 racecars, where unbanked racetracks make grip on corners critical to success"

Spoiler:
"So what the heck is a spoiler? It's an obstruction to localized airflow that improves the overall airflow around a vehicle. Basically you're adding a barrier to a region of undesirable air behavior so the air will flow somewhere else.

The worst airflow a car sees is at its rear edge, where the shape of the vehicle pulls air downward (causing dangerous lift) and generates turbulent, low-pressure air pockets behind the vehicle (contributing to drag). Spoilers change that airflow."

And it has pretty pictures to illustrate it
http://oppositelock.kinja.com/wings-...ong-1665312667
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #34
Miss Delgado

Spoilers are for looks only. Wings actually help a lot. Look at the high end European exotics as most have Wings. Wings work. Spoilers don't.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #35
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Delgado View Post
I'm an engineer by trade and I can tell you this new ZL1 1LE high wing helps greatly with aerodynamics. So much so, I am thinking seriously of buying the new ZL1 1LE or ZL1 and adding the wing. Wings help in aircraft and other forms of transportation. The stock wing on the ZL1 and all the other Camaros are for looks only. Maybe the 14/15 Z28 wing works only.
So how often do you plan on going over 150mph on the streets of America? Because that wing, spoiler or whatever you want to call it doesn't matter much below that.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #36
Miss Delgado

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
So how often do you plan on going over 150mph on the streets of America? Because that wing, spoiler or whatever you want to call it doesn't matter much below that.
Wings work even at moderate speed, it really does, even better gas mileage. I can't comment about the plastic Dive Plains or whatever you call them because they look cheap to me. But this new Camaro Wing is the real deal. Even adding this new wing to a normal ZL1 will add wonders to your handling and mileage however the trunk should be strong to handle the downforce necessary.

What is the word on the 2016-17 ZL1 trunk if it can handle the new wing or not? Anyone know the truth yet? Seems like a secret lol.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #37
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Delgado View Post
Wings work even at moderate speed, it really does, even better gas mileage. I can't comment about the plastic Dive Plains or whatever you call them because they look cheap to me. But this new Camaro Wing is the real deal. Even adding this new wing to a normal ZL1 will add wonders to your handling and mileage however the trunk should be strong to handle the downforce necessary.

What is the word on the 2016-17 ZL1 trunk if it can handle the new wing or not? Anyone know the truth yet? Seems like a secret lol.
Where are you getting this info?. Tech meetings at the Corvette plant several years in a row with the engineers have said that no wings or spoilers do anything below 120-140 miles an hour on amy car.....I’d love to hear your source, Motörhead is correct.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #38
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
The designer of the SS 1LE blade spoiler posted this after my car was built with the first. It's more than just looks although it is pretty damn good looking.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=52
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #39
Miss Delgado

What is a Blade Spoiler?
Old 12-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #40
Miss Delgado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Where are you getting this info?. Tech meetings at the Corvette plant several years in a row with the engineers have said that no wings or spoilers do anything below 120-140 miles an hour on any car.
Over 120 absolutely but my own personal findings concluded Wings (the real deal wings) work all up to 120 mph. Plus improved mileage and stability throughout the rev limiter.

Last edited by Miss Delgado; 12-09-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #41
R.C. Collins

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Thumbs up

So why does the the SS 1LE have the blade spoiler and the ZL1 1LE have the wing when both cars are capable of well north of 150mph? (I read Atom's post). Would a wing benefit the SS 1LE more than the blade? Don't get me wrong; I much prefer the look of the blade spoiler.
R.C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #42
Miss Delgado

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. Collins View Post
So why does the the SS 1LE have the blade spoiler and the ZL1 1LE have the wing when both cars are capable of well north of 150mph? (I read Atom's post). Would a wing benefit the SS 1LE more than the blade? Don't get me wrong; I much prefer the look of the blade spoiler.
That new Carbon Fiber ZL1 1LE Wing is the real deal. Way better in every aspect that any other spoiler on the other Camaros.