Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #1
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Clutch actuator??

Ok, so I posted a question in the transmission section but didn’t get a reply so I’ll ask here.

Long story short (full story in transmission section under “ugh...I hate cars”..lol)

Picked up my Camaro today from the dealer to get a noise in the Trans fixed under my lifetime powertrain warranty. First, I had to reschedule due to my warranty not being active until I’ve owned the car for 90 days...never heard of such a thing, has anyone here?

Second, when I dropped the car off I stated that I felt that it was the throw out bearing going out, service advisor asked ME what the throw out bearing did.

After repeated calls and run arounds, I spoke with the head of the dealer and he assured me that the issues will be repaired under the warranty.

Issues found:
Leaking oil pan gasket
Leaking oil cooler
Bad clutch actuator

Is the “clutch actuator” the slave/throw out bearing?
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:24 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister10 View Post
Ok, so I posted a question in the transmission section but didn’t get a reply so I’ll ask here.

Long story short (full story in transmission section under “ugh...I hate cars”..lol)

Picked up my Camaro today from the dealer to get a noise in the Trans fixed under my lifetime powertrain warranty. First, I had to reschedule due to my warranty not being active until I’ve owned the car for 90 days...never heard of such a thing, has anyone here?

Second, when I dropped the car off I stated that I felt that it was the throw out bearing going out, service advisor asked ME what the throw out bearing did.

After repeated calls and run arounds, I spoke with the head of the dealer and he assured me that the issues will be repaired under the warranty.

Issues found:
Leaking oil pan gasket
Leaking oil cooler
Bad clutch actuator

Is the “clutch actuator” the slave/throw out bearing?
Wow, other than the promise to fix "it" under warranty, I would go elsewhere....

"Clutch actuator" could be:

Your left leg,
The pedal,
The master cylinder,
The slave cylinder,
The throw out bearing etc.....

Might be worth a call to the dealership asking about specific names and or part numbers that could be cross referenced to modern automotive language. Every search I've done shows the throw out bearing/slave cylinder.... This may be new terminology as the throw out bearing and slave cylinder are one unit now.

Maybe someone else out there can add more to this..

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #3
Sinister10

Trust me, if had to pay for the repairs, I would be going elsewhere. I just hope the mechanics are more intelligent than the service advisor.
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:45 PM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

I had a service advisor respond to my query "not holding you to any obligations, but how much is that corvette......" Pictured below...

His response was to look me up and down.... I'm wearing a pair of carhartt duck brown bib overalls and a t-shirt..... Nice Zig tenny runners.... and a ball cap.... So, he looks down his nose at me... as I'm checking my $70,000+ Denali Dually Diesel truck in for service, and tells me it's really expensive....

I couldn't stand it then..... So, I told him I might go write a check for it and take it home if the price is right.... "I need daily driver so I don't have to drive my Camaro on the street daily...."

This killed him.... and he told me point blank "no-one daily drives a ZO6 Vette so they don't have to drive a Camaro daily...."

LMAO... I responded, when your Camaro makes 2K RWHP, and fuel is $15.00 a gallon and I only get three mpg if I keep my foot out of it, or it's 5 gallons to the mile when i hammer on it they do.....

It was a douchey move on my part but the car was the right color and he pissed me off.... snot nosed little turd....
Attached Images

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 09-28-2018, 05:20 AM   #5
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I had a service advisor respond to my query "not holding you to any obligations, but how much is that corvette......" Pictured below...

His response was to look me up and down.... I'm wearing a pair of carhartt duck brown bib overalls and a t-shirt..... Nice Zig tenny runners.... and a ball cap.... So, he looks down his nose at me... as I'm checking my $70,000+ Denali Dually Diesel truck in for service, and tells me it's really expensive....

I couldn't stand it then..... So, I told him I might go write a check for it and take it home if the price is right.... "I need daily driver so I don't have to drive my Camaro on the street daily...."

This killed him.... and he told me point blank "no-one daily drives a ZO6 Vette so they don't have to drive a Camaro daily...."

LMAO... I responded, when your Camaro makes 2K RWHP, and fuel is $15.00 a gallon and I only get three mpg if I keep my foot out of it, or it's 5 gallons to the mile when i hammer on it they do.....

It was a douchey move on my part but the car was the right color and he pissed me off.... snot nosed little turd....
Haha! Nice!
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:21 AM   #6
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
You sure like burgundy lol

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I would suggest the problem is most likely the Achilles heel of the transmission the bearing support, which is made of plastic and supports the throw out bearing which has to slide back and forth on the slave cylinder. The plastic stock support has been shown to melt and Monster makes a Billet replacement, seen pics of it on here melted before. I suggest you buy one and give it to the dealer to install ASAP.... http://monsterclutches.com/billet-re...earing-support as the stock piece can be melted from riding the clutch too much....as in road racing etc......
Old 09-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #8
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Ha, I was going to say the same thing. Of course I have no room to talk, both of my vehicles are practically the same color. I don't think I even realized it until I brought my car home and saw them both parked next to each other.
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:39 AM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Forgive me, I'm an Aggie.... My wife wouldn't let me buy the Burgundy colored gun safe..... and her cars are never the same color as mine.... I've actually different colored vehicles, but the camaro.... then the trailer, and tow vehicle had to match as close as possible at purchase....

Old 09-28-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Service advisers are where most of "your'e dealership is dumb" comes from. Most of the time the advisers have no idea how a car works, they are salesmen. They can't clearly relay the information the customer has given, or don't know what questions to ask the customer. The techs do their best to sort through whatever was written on the repair order and diagnose what they feel the customer means. When we figure out what needs to be repaired we do our best to educate the adviser on what the vehicle needs and why. They usually don't fully understand what the tech has said so often they come up with something of their own on the fly just hoping it makes enough sense to the customer that they will have it repaired. I would suggest to the O.P. to make friends with the tech that is repairing the car. Talk with him and try to understand what's going on, and if he obliges, go see what the issue is while the car is on the lift still. But yes, I would guess the adviser is calling the throw out bearing/slave cylinder the actuator.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Service advisers are where most of "your'e dealership is dumb" comes from. Most of the time the advisers have no idea how a car works, they are salesmen. They can't clearly relay the information the customer has given, or don't know what questions to ask the customer. The techs do their best to sort through whatever was written on the repair order and diagnose what they feel the customer means. When we figure out what needs to be repaired we do our best to educate the adviser on what the vehicle needs and why. They usually don't fully understand what the tech has said so often they come up with something of their own on the fly just hoping it makes enough sense to the customer that they will have it repaired. I would suggest to the O.P. to make friends with the tech that is repairing the car. Talk with him and try to understand what's going on, and if he obliges, go see what the issue is while the car is on the lift still. But yes, I would guess the adviser is calling the throw out bearing/slave cylinder the actuator.
Now this makes perfect sense.... Thank You for an insiders view.... My nephew was a service tech for a Chevrolet dealer before he passed away.... Incredibly sharp tech... The service manager was also incredible, the service writers however....

Old 09-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #12
Sinister10

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll see if they will allow me to have them install that part. I mentioned it to them when I had it in and he seemed kinda reluctant to install that support. I’ll see if I can speak with the tech that will be working on the car, mabey I can slip him a few bucks to get him to install that support.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #13
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister10 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll see if they will allow me to have them install that part. I mentioned it to them when I had it in and he seemed kinda reluctant to install that support. I’ll see if I can speak with the tech that will be working on the car, mabey I can slip him a few bucks to get him to install that support.
Who is paying the "lifetime" warranty claims? Dollars to Donuts that tech will install whatever you want. It doesn't mean anything to him, he gets paid all the same. But they will probably warn you that if it fails it's on your dime to replace.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #14
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE
aggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Forgive me, I'm an Aggie.... My wife wouldn't let me buy the Burgundy colored gun safe..... and her cars are never the same color as mine.... I've actually different colored vehicles, but the camaro.... then the trailer, and tow vehicle had to match as close as possible at purchase....
What does it mean when someone says they are an Aggie?
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote