Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-30-2019, 05:44 AM   #1
BrandonsBadA$$2015

Drives: 2015 chevy camaro lt
Stereo making volts drop

Ive installed an aftermarket stereo system in my 2015 lt. Not only do I like my loud music, I love to feel the beat pound through me so hard my skin jumps with the beat. Now my alternator cant keep up. Ive added 3 - 1200w capacitors as well as a very large Energi capacitor. All is well till them capacitors drop below 14v. Ive searched a few places online for a beefier alternator, Ive also stopped in to chat with a couple friends in the auto parts stores I use. Both friends told me the same sad news that there is not a "beefier" alternator for the 2015 3.6l. Anybody have any suggestions???
BrandonsBadA$$2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Contact PowerMaster. They have some alternators that crank out 300A for SPL competitions, so they can probably help you out.

www.powermastermotorsports.com

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
BrandonsBadA$$2015

Thank you Scott, I will check them out.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
BrandonsBadA$$2015

Thank you Scott! I will check them out.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:16 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Boy, do I remember the days when my stereo inside the house and in the car could NOT be loud enough. And I play guitar too. You know what I miss the most now? MY HEARING! Enjoy it whilst you can. But the piper must be paid at some point.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Curious what you are running for amps. I have a modest system, but tuned for punch and it will make internal organs resonate. The voltage in the car is all over the place, but it's not having any real performance issues since voltage won't drop below the battery level. The Camaro has an active charging system- the car will sometimes take itself OFF charging and the voltage will drop down pretty low, all the way too battery voltage. Then, the car will go back on charge and voltage comes up to almost 15. It really confuses my Garmin dash cam- it thinks the car turned off when the voltage drops, then comes back on as the active charging engages again.
Maybe this is what you're seeing on yours? Do you have the gauge package? If not, put your voltage info on the driver info screen and watch it as you drive around in town. You'll see it engage and disengage- it's trippy. You can't really combat that when it comes to the stereo system. If you are dropping below battery voltage with caps- you've either got massive amps or a weak battery.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
If you look hard enough you'll find one. I'm only familiar with others using mechman and they've all been very high quality. I've never seen one on 5th gen v6 though. I'd try Power Master as well like Batman says... looks like they have good reviews and are used by a lot of folks at competitions.

I found one that fits at Powerbastards.com but I know nothing about the company or their product. Do some research on them before you went this route. But here is a link to one they sell that fits your car. Its a 250a piece.

https://www.powerbastards.com/products.asp?cat=143324
Old 05-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
Lowandslow89

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS, 1989 Chevy c1500
Get rid of the capacitors, they will only hurt you and wont really help out at all. What all does your set up consist off? Id recommend doing a nice agm battery, and if you need an alternator id suggest either Mechman, DC Power, or Ohio Generators. They make h/o alts made specifically for car audio, the will usually generate most amperage at idle so you wont have any issues at idle. Unless you have some really high dollar capacitors, they wont really help. Your battery will keep having to recharge them each time they are drained, putting even a bigger load on your electrical system. As far as wire for anything around 1k rms watts id run 1/0 ofc or 2/0 welding wire. Welding wire tends to be packed tighter but is still cooper wire. Ive done alot of set ups in the past and help a couple of friends with their builds, what i was into before i could afford to go fast lol. Make sure your grounds are A1 aswell, that can make a difference aswell.
Lowandslow89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Need power to make power as the saying goes. Like Low said contact mechman, DC, or Ohio. You most likely will need a second battery. Caps are great for smothering out small ripples of voltage drop. They can't help if your system is already taxed. D

What does your system consist of so we can better guide you?
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote