Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-09-2024, 05:53 PM   #15
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Holy crap we have hydraulic lifters???
It's actually called fluid dynamics.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 05:59 PM   #16
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Well I’ll be dipped, all this time I was thinking we still had full mechanical flat heads under the hood.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 08:06 PM   #17
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Well I’ll be dipped, all this time I was thinking we still had full mechanical flat heads under the hood.

FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 01:18 AM   #18
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I've been around here for a little while now, no as long as some of you but I've seen this question asked in here quite a few times now and it seems to be problem with the ls3's with low mileage or high mileage. It seems to me that problem develops at random and it makes me wonder if it comes down to what type of oil is used in the engine? I'd like to know what viscosity, brand, and oil filter the op is using.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 06:49 AM   #19
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I've been around here for a little while now, no as long as some of you but I've seen this question asked in here quite a few times now and it seems to be problem with the ls3's with low mileage or high mileage. It seems to me that problem develops at random and it makes me wonder if it comes down to what type of oil is used in the engine? I'd like to know what viscosity, brand, and oil filter the op is using.
I can tell you I bought some Penzoil 5w30 synthetic and on a hot day it dropped hot idle pressure to around 15psi. This was on first drive after putting it back together, so their was a bit of air still in the cooling system. Coolant temp was 217. I topped off the coolant and switched back to Moblie1, problem solved.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:09 AM   #20
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Before I cammed my car and upgraded the oil pump my 1LE would idle 20-24 hot. If I did some really spirited driving or autocross it would dip down to 18 at idle. At cruising speed it would be in the low 30s. Not sure what redline was. I'd assume at least 45ish. I used 5w-30 Mobil 1 or 5w-30 valvoline

Last edited by CamaroDreams76; 02-10-2024 at 11:35 AM.
CamaroDreams76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:23 AM   #21
Bluebagger06

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
I have sbe and rebuilt the top end ,cam kit etc.. And i run Amsoil 5w- 50! Great pressures cold and hot!
Old 02-12-2024, 12:37 PM   #22
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I have been asking this same question about my 1LE for a while now, but the reason behind mine might be more sinister.

When I bought mine, it would hot idle around 25-30psi on amsoil 5W30.
Over the past 5 years of ownership and numerous track days later (4 track days on average a year), It now hot idles around 16-18psi and will dip to as low as 10-12psi after a few hot rips around a track.
Now, these pressures are with an aftermarket oil cooler and jumping up to amsoil 10W40 for track work 2 years ago.
The odd thing was when I stepped up to 10W40, the pressure did not seem to change.

This picture is from my last track day this past summer, after 15 minutes of hot lapping, right when I pulled into my pit spot:
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:22 PM   #23
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Before I cammed my car and upgraded the oil pump my 1LE would idle 20-24 hot. If I did some really spirited driving or autocross it would dip down to 18 at idle. At cruising speed it would be in the low 30s. Not sure what redline was. I'd assume at least 45ish. I used 5w-30 Mobil 1 or 5w-30 valvoline
What pump did you upgrade too and what are your pressures now?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 02-12-2024, 04:01 PM   #24
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawz View Post
I have been asking this same question about my 1LE for a while now, but the reason behind mine might be more sinister.

Over the past 5 years of ownership and numerous track days later (4 track days on average a year), It now hot idles around 16-18psi and will dip to as low as 10-12psi after a few hot rips around a track.
Now, these pressures are with an aftermarket oil cooler and jumping up to amsoil 10W40 for track work 2 years ago.
The odd thing was when I stepped up to 10W40, the pressure did not seem to change.

This picture is from my last track day this past summer, after 15 minutes of hot lapping, right when I pulled into my pit spot:
I wonder if you have a pressure relief valve issue since you stepped up to thicker oil and it made no change. With engine wear you would likely still see a difference even if it’s small in pressure going thicker or thinner on the oil. If the relief spring is only capable of holding back X amount of pressure that’s all it’s going to hold back.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 06:03 PM   #25
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
What pump did you upgrade too and what are your pressures now?
Just a melling high volume pump. I don't know for certain because I know it's not an issue anymore but Im 97% positive hot idle is around 32-35. I've been running Motul 5w-40 since the cam swap. So better pump, little thicker oil as well.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:00 AM   #26
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Just a melling high volume pump. I don't know for certain because I know it's not an issue anymore but Im 97% positive hot idle is around 32-35. I've been running Motul 5w-40 since the cam swap. So better pump, little thicker oil as well.
Yeah, that's where my hot idle is too but like I said earlier I have the 10355HV pump with 10W30 VR Racing oil and a K&N gold filter with a Mishimoto oil cooler at 217* oil temperature and 200* water temperature. My bearing clearances are all at stock clearances too.

Sounds like you might have a high-volume pump too?

Old 02-13-2024, 01:13 AM   #27
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawz View Post

Definitely sounds like a pressure relief valve issue to me like Aqua Blue said but only at the high rpm area. I plugged mine when my engine was apart a long time ago and have since seen oil pressure up to 80 psi with my Melling pump. As for the idle pressure goes it sounds like your bearing clearances have gotten a little loose and your only option there is to step up to a higher volume pump or rebuild with oversize bearings which I would just replace the pump because it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:27 PM   #28
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Definitely sounds like a pressure relief valve issue to me like Aqua Blue said but only at the high rpm area. I plugged mine when my engine was apart a long time ago and have since seen oil pressure up to 80 psi with my Melling pump. As for the idle pressure goes it sounds like your bearing clearances have gotten a little loose and your only option there is to step up to a higher volume pump or rebuild with oversize bearings which I would just replace the pump because it's a heck of a lot cheaper.
Very interesting. Been wondering and asking around about this issue for a bit and was convinced it was the oil pump on it way out.
I had been paranoid about the oil pressures and quality for a while and 3 days after I took that picture at the track day, I did an oil change to see if there was any trace of glitter in the oil or oil filter.
None. Everything looked normal.
Never goes past 3,000 mi between oil changes ever since I bought it.
The pressure relief valve is a appealing one to look into!
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote