Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Calling Pedder's People!

Disclaimer: All questions in this post are for a V6 Camaro only.

My original planned (and rather short list) of suspension mods for the new camaro was just upgraded sway bars and slightly more aggressive rear (only, not front) shocks to help keep both tires on the ground during launch (shocks), to create a little bit of weight shift on hard launching to help traction (sway bars), and to help the car carve corners (also sway bars).

What I'm asking:

A) The sport packages comes with a few other goodies as well - how useful are these, what do they do exactly (or just generally speaking) in terms of suspension movements, and whats the price difference between just the sway bar kit and the full sport package?

B) I was shooting for 15-25% stiffer rear shocks than front shocks. Is this a good approximation for your zeta GSR shocks compared to stock shocks or would I need to jump all the way to the rear coilovers to get this relatively small amount of improvement?

C) And this is the one I'm having the hardest trouble fathoming as far as suspension theory... When carving corners, having stiffer rear shocks than front shocks would cause the car to have more tendency towards understeer? Am I correct in this or am I backwards?

Thanks in advance!
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Disclaimer: All questions in this post are for a V6 Camaro only.

My original planned (and rather short list) of suspension mods for the new camaro was just upgraded sway bars and slightly more aggressive rear (only, not front) shocks to help keep both tires on the ground during launch (shocks), to create a little bit of weight shift on hard launching to help traction (sway bars), and to help the car carve corners (also sway bars).

What I'm asking:

A) The sport packages comes with a few other goodies as well - how useful are these, what do they do exactly (or just generally speaking) in terms of suspension movements, and whats the price difference between just the sway bar kit and the full sport package? Here is the sports package I think you are talking about.
2010 Camaro Sport Package
The Camaro Sport System includes the elements of the Camaro Street I system plus Pedders adjustable sway bars with HD endlinks. The reduction in body lean and roll translates directly to more confident control in aggressive maneuvers. Having addressed the

EP1167 Zeta Rear Differential Bush Kit
EP1169 Zeta Rear Extreme Sub-Frame Connector Kit
EP6560 Zeta Front Radius Rod Bush includes 5421 caster washer
429006ADJ Kit GM Zeta sway bar Heavy duty adjustable kit
The EP1167, rear diff bushing, is a 3 bushing assembly. The rear OEM diff mounts ARE REALLY Soft. You can see the bushings load up and move when you load up the power train. This obsorbs traction, rather than passing on traction and torque. The EP1169, rear sub frame inserts are really important and fairly easy to do. Your rear cradle assembly is mounted to the body. the rubber in the bushings are OK, however they have very seriously large viods that allow your rear assembly to move about 15mm separate from the body. This is again, wasting torque and time, and gives you a feeling the rear is "stepping out" The EP6560, front radius rod bushing is used to stiffen up control of the front/rear movement of the lower control arm. Like the pitiful GTO radius rod bushing, this unit is fluid filled. More engineering is done to try and reduce road noise, at the serious expense of handling and braking. This bushing is the reason GM Racing asked for our help. Once we gave them their bushing, they asked us what else we can give them. This is how we are now an approved vendor for GM Racing. These three bushing sets are the real big weak links for all Zeta platforms and will make a huge difference with the adjustable sway bars.

B) I was shooting for 15-25% stiffer rear shocks than front shocks. Is this a good approximation for your zeta GSR shocks compared to stock shocks or would I need to jump all the way to the rear coilovers to get this relatively small amount of improvement? Our rates on our coils and dampers are proprietary and Pedders will not give that info out. With that said, both coils and dampers will give you more than 25% improvement in rates. Now we will be publishing all rates and such on our Xa Extreme 30 30 way Mono tube adjustable coil overs, and will be offering 3 coils, street sport, and track. All the ones that were ordered initially will be sent with sport coils, which will be he most popular. I am hoping we will have the race coils available at the same time for those who really want to beat up the pavement.

C) And this is the one I'm having the hardest trouble fathoming as far as suspension theory... When carving corners, having stiffer rear shocks than front shocks would cause the car to have more tendency towards understeer? Am I correct in this or am I backwards? Yes and no. Sorry to be vague here. But when you have excess suspension travel and low end struts that are not even gas charged, just oil filled only, opposite reactions can/will occur.If you control the front suspension travel and beef up the firmness, then increasing rear shock/spring rates will reduce under steer. At the same point, if spring rates are too low, and damping rates are not performance oriented, increasing front sway bar rates may in fact decrease understeer if the front coils/dampers are too soft and excess travel. The opposite may occur if coils and dampers are set up for performance. This can get complicated as you can see. So the base setup is critical, then you evaluate it, then start making changes one by one.

Thanks in advance!
- Xanthos
Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, just ask.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

That did answer (almost) all of my questions!

The bushings seem to make a much larger difference than I thought they would. I'll definitely be getting the sport package.

As far as the shocks vs. coilovers go, I understand you can't give out that info - what you gave me is more than enough though!

So, my setup would be the sport package (sway bars and bushings) as well as the rear shocks. MSRP is like 1250 total (give or take 50 bucks or so) - but about how long would my baby be out of commission for, and how much would the install run me?
- Xanthos

Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
That did answer (almost) all of my questions!

The bushings seem to make a much larger difference than I thought they would. I'll definitely be getting the sport package.

As far as the shocks vs. coilovers go, I understand you can't give out that info - what you gave me is more than enough though!

So, my setup would be the sport package (sway bars and bushings) as well as the rear shocks. MSRP is like 1250 total (give or take 50 bucks or so) - but about how long would my baby be out of commission for, and how much would the install run me?
- Xanthos
should be able to be done within 1 day. I can tell you there is a big difference between our GSRs and our eXtreme Xas. I would say there is as much difference between our GSR and OEM as GSR and Xa's. Plus you have all kinds of adjustability.

thanks
mike
dms
Old 01-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
should be able to be done within 1 day. I can tell you there is a big difference between our GSRs and our eXtreme Xas. I would say there is as much difference between our GSR and OEM as GSR and Xa's. Plus you have all kinds of adjustability.

thanks
mike
dms
Ok. Where would I have this done? Any pedders retailer?
- Xanthos

Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
dms

i ordered the xa package thingy that u guys offered at introductory price back in dec. my question is will these drop the car? are they coil overs or shocks? im not familier with anything on suspension so can u fill me in on what extactly they do?
jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Ok. Where would I have this done? Any pedders retailer?
- Xanthos
I do not believe we have anyone in Oklahoma. If you are aware of a great suspension or speed shop give me a reference

With proper instruction, a suspension savy tech can be taught easily how to do it. May take more than a day, however. Depends on their talent

thanks
mike
dms
Old 01-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
dms

i ordered the xa package thingy that u guys offered at introductory price back in dec. my question is will these drop the car? are they coil overs or shocks? im not familier with anything on suspension so can u fill me in on what extactly they do?
You bought a very serious, state of the art adjustable coil over!!! You will be able to adjust the height from near OE height (alittle less) to several inches. Plus will be able to adjust the shock controls extremely easily.

For very spirited driving, you will also want the 3 bushings I just chatted about. Adding the sway bars as well, will make you cry with enjoyment.

If you have ay questions, please ask.

thanks
mike
dms
Old 01-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

None that I know of - but I'll ask around. I'll just drive down to dallas if I have to - its only a couple hours from here and I'd love to go to medieval times again at some point.
- Xanthos

Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
None that I know of - but I'll ask around. I'll just drive down to dallas if I have to - its only a couple hours from here and I'd love to go to medieval times again at some point.
- Xanthos
You can see Dallas Mike White. he is very experienced in XETA.

thanks
mike
dms
Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #11
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
You can see Dallas Mike White. he is very experienced in XETA.

thanks
mike
dms
Is that the guy over at SNL?
- Xanthos

Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #12
jeffny09

well im tryin to get in touch with pete i sent him and email on some other things that was mention,,,how much is the sway bar going for?
and i dont know where ima get mines installed i live in ny
Old 01-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #13
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

The whole sport package MSRPs at 1,007.42.

Although, oddly enough the price for all the parts of the package individually is less than the price of the full package.

Zeta eXtreme Adj Sway Bar Kit - 345.21
Camaro Front Radius Rod Bush - 147.14
Zeta Rear eXtreme Sub-Frame Co - 154.48
Zeta Differential Mounts - 83.88

Assuming the package is correct in listing the quantity of each at 1 - total cost should only total to 730.71, unless the package price includes install while the component price does not. I would even go so far as to say it should be lower than that, since ordering the package would imply a discount over ordering each part individually. Worst case scenario I'll just order each part individually anyway.
- Xanthos

Old 01-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #14
jeffny09

Quote:
The whole sport package MSRPs at 1,007.42.

Although, oddly enough the price for all the parts of the package individually is less than the price of the full package.

Zeta eXtreme Adj Sway Bar Kit - 345.21
Camaro Front Radius Rod Bush - 147.14
Zeta Rear eXtreme Sub-Frame Co - 154.48
Zeta Differential Mounts - 83.88

Assuming the package is correct in listing the quantity of each at 1 - total cost should only total to 730.71, unless the package price includes install while the component price does not. I would even go so far as to say it should be lower than that, since ordering the package would imply a discount over ordering each part individually. Worst case scenario I'll just order each part individually anyway.
- Xanthos

ill prob end up ordering all of that individually
due to not having all that money at once( all of it is going towards downpayment on the camaro) so every month i can order something
that sounds good and once i get everything i prolly install it all together