Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
An unofficial "update?" on the Onstar MyLink app for 2010 and older....

I know many of you have been waiting for an update from OnStar regarding the MyLink application and 2010 (and older) vehicles. I’ve been waiting as well as I’d like to use it on my 2010 Terrain which is obviously currently unsupported. Not wanting to wait for news that I could investigate on my own I started doing some testing on a few vehicles and here is what I found:

2010 Global A Vehicles are more than likely going to be in luck, even with the Gen 8 hardware if the same command is sent via the VCIM to the BCM all of the OnStar enhanced functions (IE remote start) work as designed. This is good news as the 2011’s have slightly revised BCM hardware and considerably revised BCM calibrations (as well as other modules) as well as the Gen 9 VCIM. What this means in layman’s terms is that if you have a 2010 on the NEW style bus architecture (Camaro, Lacrosse, Terrain, Equinox, SRX; did I miss any?) You are more than likely going to be getting support however it MAY require a VCIM software update depending on how they choose to implement it.

So what does this mean for the old vehicles? I’m guessing more than likely the older vehicles won’t be supported for a myriad of reasons however the biggest one being it appears the BCM in those vehicles (as well as the VCIM) were never setup for that type of interaction. The remote door lock/unlock light flash and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown (Old bus architecture with Gen 8 hardware) are still available commands.

My personal opinion (and its worth as much as you’ve just paid for it lol) is that GM will not likely invest any money into recalibrating multiple modules AND writing new software for the mobile devices to make remote functions via the phone a reality. I sure wouldn’t blame them; it will likely cost way more money than they will get in return.
If I get some time later (and people are actually interested) I can take a video of me emulating the OnStar module on a 2010 vehicle and doing some of the functions like remote start etc.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
so this means my 2010 camaro will be able to use the mylink app? when is this gonna be available?
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
bjbyers

Drives: 2010 GMC Acadia
Acadia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
I know many of you have been waiting for an update from OnStar regarding the MyLink application and 2010 (and older) vehicles. I’ve been waiting as well as I’d like to use it on my 2010 Terrain which is obviously currently unsupported. Not wanting to wait for news that I could investigate on my own I started doing some testing on a few vehicles and here is what I found:

2010 Global A Vehicles are more than likely going to be in luck, even with the Gen 8 hardware if the same command is sent via the VCIM to the BCM all of the OnStar enhanced functions (IE remote start) work as designed. This is good news as the 2011’s have slightly revised BCM hardware and considerably revised BCM calibrations (as well as other modules) as well as the Gen 9 VCIM. What this means in layman’s terms is that if you have a 2010 on the NEW style bus architecture (Camaro, Lacrosse, Terrain, Equinox, SRX; did I miss any?) You are more than likely going to be getting support however it MAY require a VCIM software update depending on how they choose to implement it.

So what does this mean for the old vehicles? I’m guessing more than likely the older vehicles won’t be supported for a myriad of reasons however the biggest one being it appears the BCM in those vehicles (as well as the VCIM) were never setup for that type of interaction. The remote door lock/unlock light flash and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown (Old bus architecture with Gen 8 hardware) are still available commands.

My personal opinion (and its worth as much as you’ve just paid for it lol) is that GM will not likely invest any money into recalibrating multiple modules AND writing new software for the mobile devices to make remote functions via the phone a reality. I sure wouldn’t blame them; it will likely cost way more money than they will get in return.
If I get some time later (and people are actually interested) I can take a video of me emulating the OnStar module on a 2010 vehicle and doing some of the functions like remote start etc.

You mentioned "Camaro, Lacrosse, Terrain, Equinox, SRX; did I miss any?" Do you know about the 2010 GMC Acadia? Really hoping I get to use Mylink.
bjbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Gohootie

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS-1987 Grand National
Video

I would be interested in seeing your video if you get time to make one.....
Gohootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
RSKUSTOMZ
RSKUSTOMZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro T-top RS
I have installed an aftermarket Code Alarm system to my '10 and through this brand added their CarLink app to my evo4 and works flawlessly. Through this it also gives the user access not only from iPhone, Android, and Blackberries but from any computer as well!
RSKUSTOMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
bjbyers

Drives: 2010 GMC Acadia
Onstar response on 2010 integration

Here is what I received from Onstar today. Their talking points seem consistent.

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us regarding the OnStar MyLink mobile app feature.* *
The OnStar MyLink mobile app technology requires OnStar’s new hardware, Generation 9, which just launched with the 2011 model year vehicles.* Your 2010 GMC Acadia does not have the necessary OnStar hardware to receive this feature at this time.* However, the OnStar MyLink mobile app will be made available on most 2010 model year GM vehicles in 2011.* More information will be available later in the first quarter of 2011.
bjbyers is offline   Reply With Quote