Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Installing Gauge in air vent

So I wanted to install a gauge in my left side AC vent and still keep function of the vent. Having had a mustang before I knew they sold this adapter so I ordered one and modified it to work with Camaro dash vent.
The adapter I bought is sold by Roush http://www.jegs.com/i/Roush+Performa...FQmNaQodQtwHVQ

I also bought a spare dash vent off Ebay in case I ruined it. I also wanted to keep my original intact.

The major thing you have to do is modify the Roush adapter to fit the Camaro duct. I used a 4" grinder with flap wheel to remove a little material from the overall diameter and take about 1/8" of back side so it would sit flush in the duct trim and everything would snap back together.

I installed an Innovative Motorsports SCG-1 Which is a wideband, shift light, boost gauge and boost controller all in one unit. The boost controller function obviously isn't needed for my car, but I do have future plan for it to control my water/meth system...more on that in another post later.

Hope this helps someone out there with their hotrod that would like a clean single gauge install.
Attached Images

Last edited by cdjnight; 08-14-2015 at 03:32 PM.
cdjnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #2
CamaroSS sleeper

Drives: Sleeper_NOT
Genius!!!!

Wished I'd knew about this before.
I had no choise but to buy A gauge pod...
I don't like to advertise "I'm boosted" to anyone... lol

Great post buddy!!
CamaroSS sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #3
cdjnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS sleeper View Post
Genius!!!!

Wished I'd knew about this before.
I had no choise but to buy A gauge pod...
I don't like to advertise "I'm boosted" to anyone... lol

Great post buddy!!
Thanks man! I had seen a few posted on here that blocked it off completely with a plate and I didn't like how they turned out at all. Plus I didn't want to loose 100% of my AC vent.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjnight View Post
Thanks man! I had seen a few posted on here that blocked it off completely with a plate and I didn't like how they turned out at all. Plus I didn't want to loose 100% of my AC vent.
Very slick, please post finished pictures when you are done. I may like it better than my SLP column pod which has my AEM wideband and boost gauge.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
cdjnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineviper View Post
Very slick, please post finished pictures when you are done. I may like it better than my SLP column pod which has my AEM wideband and boost gauge.

I was looking at those like yours and I didn't like how the color of plastic didn't match the factory stuff. I will have some more installation pics soon.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #6
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
I was looking at those like yours and I didn't like how the color of plastic didn't match the factory stuff. I will have some more installation pics soon.
Yea, me either. A little different color, totally different texture, has fasteners which I did not realize would be visible for over $100 the peice of plastic you get is cheesy.

Last edited by Redlineviper; 08-16-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Redlineviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #7
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
This is the best option I've seen yet for adding a gauge. I want to get an aeroforce interceptor but I have no clue where to mount it. This might just be it. I'd like to see it installed as well...

How much did you end up having to trim off of it? Did you just trim all around it?
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
cdjnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
This is the best option I've seen yet for adding a gauge. I want to get an aeroforce interceptor but I have no clue where to mount it. This might just be it. I'd like to see it installed as well...

How much did you end up having to trim off of it? Did you just trim all around it?
I used a flap wheel sanding disc in a 4-1/2" grinder to sand off about a 1/16th of an inch off diameter. It fits into the silver trim as is but it stretches it and will end up braking it. The back side I took off close to an 1/8" so it fits flush in to the silver trim piece. You have to do that otherwise the silver piece won't snap back onto the rest of the assembly. Took me a whole 5 minutes to sand down then I used a sharp pocket knife to clean up the edges because the plastic tends to ball up and melt when sanding. I took my time and test fitted several times till I got it just right.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
I used a flap wheel sanding disc in a 4-1/2" grinder to sand off about a 1/16th of an inch off diameter. It fits into the silver trim as is but it stretches it and will end up braking it. The back side I took off close to an 1/8" so it fits flush in to the silver trim piece. You have to do that otherwise the silver piece won't snap back onto the rest of the assembly. Took me a whole 5 minutes to sand down then I used a sharp pocket knife to clean up the edges because the plastic tends to ball up and melt when sanding. I took my time and test fitted several times till I got it just right.
Nice. I'd definitely like to see some pictures of it installed.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #10
cdjnight

Here's installation into dash, I had to tape last screw to socket in order to get all the way back up into dash to install. Also you'll see I drilled a hole in duct in order to route wires out. I used 7/8" hole saw because the wide band connector is large and this gauge has a lot of wires coming off it.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
cdjnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineviper View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Nice. I'd definitely like to see some pictures of it installed.
And here is the final installation picture from drivers seat
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #12
jayno20
Go fast, please.

that looks good. What was the taped screw for though? For taking the duct work out or putting the vent back in?
Old 08-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #13
ZEDL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black, 2015 2LT/RS
cdjnight, I'm not easily impressed, but you did just that.
Very clever. Gorgeous work.
ZEDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:38 PM   #14
cdjnight

Quote:
that looks good. What was the taped screw for though? For taking the duct work out or putting the vent back in?
There is one of the three screws that holds the vent in the dash that is blind installation. You can't get your hand in there and you can't see it. So I taped the screw on to scocket and guided it in with one finger. I used a deep scocket 7mm, 3" extension and 6" extension all on a 1/4" drive nut driver to get it in from under dash. (Going in near hood release latch)