Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-13-2022, 03:01 PM   #15
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Your exactly right! I will tell you what happened to me. I bought the car I just sold off of a dealer in Ohio. I had it shipped here and registered it. Ok so last year my nephew works at a dodge dealer and they had a hellcat come in so I tried to trade with them. They come back and only offered me 23K for my car!! I first thought they were joking but they were serious. They told me since the car sold new in Canada they really did not want it. I said the car is built there so what is the big deal? They just did not want to trade at all. Next day I called a friend of mine who owns a dealership and ask him what he thought about it and he informed me of the same that he will not buy a car if it sold new in Canada. I ask him why and he just said he won't buy one. There has to be a real reason but I could not get one. Ok now my car was sold in Canada and will not bring any money to speak of so then I find out also it has had 5 owners before me and that turned the dealers off to so I thought well ok I really like the car anyway so I will just keep it. Then in september of last year I put my car on Craigslist. It did not take long and the dealers were calling me. All of them wanted it till I told them the vin number and they saw it sold new in canada and they said they were not interested in the car. Then I had the last one call from OKC [not giving the dealership name out] and I told him before I gave him the vin about it sold new in canada and he said no big deal to him and he bought it. So I don't know what or if there is anything about buying a car that sold new in Canada but I can tell you now I always ask how many previous owners and where did the car sale new at before I start dealing for one. Maybe there is nothing to it but for me I will not buy a vehicle that was sold new in Canada. Sorry for the long letter but I felt like telling the story today!
I'm thinking dealers automatically will think they need to spend money "re-conditioning" the foreign car to US standards (things like speedo, sensors, etc.), and doing this will cut into their profit margin. Naturally they prefer a car that they can bounce right after they get it.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:41 PM   #16
Limelight

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Your exactly right! I will tell you what happened to me. I bought the car I just sold off of a dealer in Ohio. I had it shipped here and registered it. Ok so last year my nephew works at a dodge dealer and they had a hellcat come in so I tried to trade with them. They come back and only offered me 23K for my car!! I first thought they were joking but they were serious. They told me since the car sold new in Canada they really did not want it. I said the car is built there so what is the big deal? They just did not want to trade at all. Next day I called a friend of mine who owns a dealership and ask him what he thought about it and he informed me of the same that he will not buy a car if it sold new in Canada. I ask him why and he just said he won't buy one. There has to be a real reason but I could not get one. Ok now my car was sold in Canada and will not bring any money to speak of so then I find out also it has had 5 owners before me and that turned the dealers off to so I thought well ok I really like the car anyway so I will just keep it. Then in september of last year I put my car on Craigslist. It did not take long and the dealers were calling me. All of them wanted it till I told them the vin number and they saw it sold new in canada and they said they were not interested in the car. Then I had the last one call from OKC [not giving the dealership name out] and I told him before I gave him the vin about it sold new in canada and he said no big deal to him and he bought it. So I don't know what or if there is anything about buying a car that sold new in Canada but I can tell you now I always ask how many previous owners and where did the car sale new at before I start dealing for one. Maybe there is nothing to it but for me I will not buy a vehicle that was sold new in Canada. Sorry for the long letter but I felt like telling the story today!
Interesting story! Funny they don’t want a car sold new in Canada but they all want the car in general, which was built in Canada lol. Maybe it’s just ignorance of what they think may be required to bring it to US safety standards. Maybe they think Canadian cars are all winter driven (which makes no sense since most don’t winter drive a ZL1 and the climate in the large majority of Canada is no different than the northern US States). Maybe it’s the maple syrup, hockey bag and moonshine stains on the seats.

Personally I’d be more concerned as a buyer about the 5 previous owners but I guess dealers don’t want anything that may raise the risk profile for a buyer and limit their ability to quickly sell a car. They just want the quick buck at the end of the day.

As a Canadian ZL1 owner, I’d put the quality and cleanliness of my Z up against anyone’s. In any event, good luck finding a new Z. Selling now, I could make upwards of $17,000 CDN profit on mine (about $500 USD lol) but to me, that isn’t changing my life. Not having the Z would, so she stays.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:23 PM   #17
d kings z28

Drives: 2014 white z28
Selling only if no food or roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1969 View Post
thanks for reply I've been sitting on fence on this decision I drove it to work today, man this has me thinking, I have a feeling I will regret this if I sell
You will live to Regret it
Old 05-18-2022, 10:05 PM   #18
scdrj

Drives: 2014 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1969 View Post
thanks for reply I've been sitting on fence on this decision I drove it to work today, man this has me thinking, I have a feeling I will regret this if I sell

Well, did you sell it?
scdrj is offline   Reply With Quote