Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 05-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Overboost Protection? Dropping Boost

Hey guys, having a werid issue and I figure i'd reach out here too. I'm dropping boost in my CTS-V on WOT pulls and getting a service vehicle soon on the DIC. Not sure if anyone has seen or experienced anything similar on their ZL1. Boost builds to about 14lbs and then after a few seconds goes to 0.

2.38 Upper, Airraid, ARH Headers, Corsa Sport, Ported TB.

VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
What is the trouble code? That needs to be adjusted in the ECM through tuning.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
VanquisherSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
What is the trouble code? That needs to be adjusted in the ECM through tuning.
No codes.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Belt slipping or upper pulley ?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss

Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
I wondered this to but slip should not go to zero....pulley issue makes more sense
2012 #1765: Xpel Clear Bra, 15% Tint, M2W, LPE GT9 Cam, Ported Heads & Snout, Upgraded Valve Train, 90mm TB, LPE Dual Fan HX, 2.55 Upper, 9.1 Lower (18%), Id850's, KB BAP, Roto-fab CAI, AR Stainless Headers, 673 rwhp, A6, Nothin but Fun!
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
BPG
Faster than you...

Drives: 1194whp. 8.62@168. daily driver...
You didn't say you feel like the car is falling on its face. I think you would feel it if you're truly getting no boost. I'd find a manual boost gauge, tap it in and see if your issue isn't actually the gauge.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #7
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Who tuned it? "MAP disable" and "MAP enable" needs to be bumped up to 250 kPa and 240 kPa respectively. And if you have a Service Vehicle Soon light come on there will be codes.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
VanquisherSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPG View Post
You didn't say you feel like the car is falling on its face. I think you would feel it if you're truly getting no boost. I'd find a manual boost gauge, tap it in and see if your issue isn't actually the gauge.
It does and it doesn't. Yesterday I was driving it went WOT and it felt flat, looked down to see I was only making a little over 8-9psi. I shut the car off turned it back on and then I was back to making 14+psi

I hooked up my ultragauge and I got in it on the way to work today, looks like it peaked at 14.5LBs of boost, service vehicle came on, boost gauge dropped to 0 but the ultragauge kept reading 14+ on boost.

Perhaps its trying to dump the boost but cannot since I believe the actuator was disabled.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #9
VanquisherSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Who tuned it? "MAP disable" and "MAP enable" needs to be bumped up to 250 kPa and 240 kPa respectively. And if you have a Service Vehicle Soon light come on there will be codes.
ECS tuned it. They are checking my tune right now to make sure that was done. It says service vehicle on the DIC but I do not get any CELs. My ultragauge can read codes and it did not throw any this morning. Onstar ran all the diagnostics and came up with nothing.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
VanquisherSS

Just an update. Working through what I believe a this point to be a tune issue. I have the following codes that only appear under WOT.

P1101 - Intake Air Flow System Performance

P012B - S/C Inlet Pressure Sensor Performance

P0121 - Throttle Position Performance

P0106 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Performance
Old 06-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #11
VanquisherSS

Car ended up needing a re-tune. I had it done at Race Proven Motorsports and they resolved all my issues.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
All-American ZL1
Chevy Power

Drives: 13 ZL1 M6 #123, '98 Jeep Wrangler
any explanation of what was wrong in the tune?
2013 #123, M6 2.38 upper, ID850, dynatech 1 7/8 headers, cats, X pipe, ADM CAI, 160 Tstat, Hurst line lock, tune by FSP
Sebring 2:39.20 MPSS
All-American ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
VanquisherSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American ZL1 View Post
any explanation of what was wrong in the tune?
Well quite frankly a few things. I'll start from the top I guess.

1.) The service vehicle error and the codes I posted up. I sent an email to ECS telling them to check my overboost values(like i should be the one doing that). Was told that wasn't the issue. Well it was the values were set to bone stock which is why like clockwork at a boost > stock it threw errors. The worst part is I was told this was "normal" for the boost gauge to go to 0. Its not normal since my car doesn't do it now nor does any other V or ZL1 i've seen do that. It pegs at 15 and stays there.

2.) Front O2s were doing something very strange I believe pulling fuel out, i don't honestly remember. All I know it was commanding 10.0 AFR. The tune was so rich frankly Fran at RPM wouldn't even make a full pull on the dyno. You can see that in the dyno (Red graph)

3.) Driveability - I had a shit load of backfiring which as you can see was from running no cats and being insanely rich makes sense. I was told that was normal as well. Well after my re-tune I can say that it does not happen anymore. Yes I get a crackle and what not but thats to be expected. On and off throttle had a bunch of hesitations and felt way down on power around town.

4.) Trans Tune - Long of it short it was never done and had to be done by Fran @ RPM. Car drives amazing now.

Here's the dyno sheet. Pay attention to how much power I picked up almost everywhere in the RPM band from it actually being at the correct AFR and tuned right.

Last edited by VanquisherSS; 06-10-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
VanquisherSS

And before someone thinks I'm just going out and bashing well let me give you a little backstory. ECS had built a camaro for me which some of you may or may not have seen.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190598

When I picked up the car on March 28th from ECS after the tune I immediately knew something was wrong with the boost gauge dropping to 0 and getting errors.

Without boring everyone I had to go back and forth on emails from March 28th to June 5th until I got re-tuned at RPM. I went out of my way to do research on issues since I was getting nowhere with them and even going to get my codes read at cadillac. I had gotten 0 resolution from and honestly just a lot of excuses and lies. To me after the great success I have had with them it was very dissapointing to have gotten this level of service from them. Frankly the car ran poorly everywhere but WOT which still even left something to be desired.

I posted a video on instagram of the car getting dynoed. Funny thing is they then reached out to me after weeks of silence to ask if the car got fixed LOL. Nice. Long of it short to rectify the issue I asked for a refund on my tune for the frankly unacceptable state of the tune and service. No response since. Moving on..

Review : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363034

Last edited by VanquisherSS; 06-25-2014 at 10:57 AM.