Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 10-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSjeff View Post
If it makes sense financially and there is a market it for we can produce a kit for sure. Just need to run some numbers and see where it ends up. Thus far, it looks do-able in a $5-6k budget in a twin kit. It may end up being less but this is just taking the same components as the V8 Kit and swapping out the turbos for smaller / cheaper units. I would never put my "IPS" name on anything Ebay or Chinese-made so rest assured the turbos will be rock-solid
Jeff

PS -- I haven't done any research on the factory fuel pump or injector sizing yet on the V6 cars -- anybody want to save me some time?
I'm working on a custom mid-mount solution right now. I've done a little research and the fuel system is going to be a problem. I looks like you are going to be limited to between 500-550 HP crank until someone comes out with a after-market fuel pump. Trifecta is working on getting a little bit more out of the system, but we are hitting the limits here. A nice set of 2400 psi injectors and larger fuel pumps would be nice -- wanna volunteer?

Another thing to consider is the tranny. It is rated at about 340 ft-lbs tq for a 5000 lbs vehicle. It gives me a little concern. You aren't responsible for that, but if you do a kit you may want to warn your customers about it. I'm not trying to warn you off -- we do need more options -- but not many companies have jumped in with more than the normal bolt-on mods. When going FI you normally already have options like exhaust manifolds (why I'm going the mid-mount route), forged pistons, tranny, diff. and axle mods to handle the extra power. I'm going to go with a good intercooler AND water-meth injection to be extra careful withthe cast pistons, but will just have to wait for all the extras to go to the next step.

I'm going to start a thread in the journal section. Maybe what I learn can help you out. With the STS and your option maybe some other vendors will hop on board and build the supporting stuff.

Good luck to you, we are all glad you are undertaking this venture!
Old 10-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #16
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
I have 5 possibly 6 V6's that may be ready for this upgrade (and I can't leave the lone SS out either LOL) Am interested in STS's setup but would like to wait for a few other options before I commit 35-40k or more to this project. It has to be solid. I'm in MO and the cars will be more available for possible R&D after Dec 11. The cars are seen by thousands each week and are regularly at car shows. Soooo there you go.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #17
JustFresh

Drives: 2011 1LT RS M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
I have 5 possibly 6 V6's that may be ready for this upgrade (and I can't leave the lone SS out either LOL) Am interested in STS's setup but would like to wait for a few other options before I commit 35-40k or more to this project. It has to be solid. I'm in MO and the cars will be more available for possible R&D after Dec 11. The cars are seen by thousands each week and are regularly at car shows. Soooo there you go.

Can i have one?
JustFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #18
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFresh View Post

Can i have one?
Please??
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #19
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildoc View Post
The only company that you will find to tune the V6 would be Trifecta (as of right now), same company doing the STS kit.
I talked to a Speed shop and ANYCAR can be tuned. These handheld tuners are not that good.....When you tune a car you tune every gear and every RPM range you want...its a long process if you do it right. This is what I was told so I'm just going with what he told me and he showed me some of his cars that made to Magazines..etc. So what I'm trying to say is that you guys are saying there is only one company that has a tune...
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set

Last edited by RickRay; 10-15-2010 at 08:13 PM.
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #20
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
I talked to a Speed shop and ANYTHING can be tuned. These handheld tuners are not that good.....When you tune a car you tune every gear and every RPM range you want...its a long process if you do it right. This is what I was told so I'm just going with what he told me and he showed me some of his cars that made to Magazines..etc. So what I'm trying to say is that you guys are saying there is only one company that has a tune...
Did you specifically tell him it was the LLT engine on the 2010-2011 Camaro? If there is someone besides Trifecta (and their resellers) doing the tune it would be the first I've heard of it.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
I talked to a Speed shop and ANYTHING can be tuned. These handheld tuners are not that good.....When you tune a car you tune every gear and every RPM range you want...its a long process if you do it right. This is what I was told so I'm just going with what he told me and he showed me some of his cars that made to Magazines..etc. So what I'm trying to say is that you guys are saying there is only one company that has a tune...
As Growl, pointed out there is CURRENTLY only one company offering tunes for the 2010+ V6 Camaro... The Camaro uses a very different computer (ECU) than the ones your speed shop is used to seeing...

Now as far as handheld tuners, like SCT and Diablo... yes, a "canned" tune is only so good.. so yes, for an optimal tune you want a custom dyno tune or at least a data log based tune (which is what Trifecta does).
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #22
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
As Growl, pointed out there is CURRENTLY only one company offering tunes for the 2010+ V6 Camaro... The Camaro uses a very different computer (ECU) than the ones your speed shop is used to seeing...

Now as far as handheld tuners, like SCT and Diablo... yes, a "canned" tune is only so good.. so yes, for an optimal tune you want a custom dyno tune or at least a data log based tune (which is what Trifecta does).
Thanks....I'll mention that to him....
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #23
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Price sounds extremely fair. Kudos to the IPS, i really hope you guys can come through with a great kit that is great for us as well as you!
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #24
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
I live right across the border from Cincinnati, so if you need a test car that you would be able to give a kit to for reviews I'd be in
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:45 AM   #25
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
What's the difference between the other TT kits out there?

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:34 AM   #26
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyk-NO View Post
What's the difference between the other TT kits out there?
there isnt any tt kits, as far as i know there are 3 or 4 people trying to build a custom kit(myself included) as far as the tune goes i will be using a haltech stand alone to fix that problem
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:50 AM   #27
Darth Camaro
Out of my mind!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Come on majior MOD's...
Darth Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:07 AM   #28
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd View Post
there isnt any tt kits, as far as i know there are 3 or 4 people trying to build a custom kit(myself included) as far as the tune goes i will be using a haltech stand alone to fix that problem
wow.. a stand alone ECU?
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote