Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #183
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-canuck View Post
"Fifty years from now, when you're looking back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?"

I've already been in it !!! It's just like the old Camaro, not enough headroom.
You dizzing my signature/future pick-up line? I will just have to wait and see about the headroom. Fits pretty well with room to spare in my Saab.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #184
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
"Fifty years from now, when you're looking back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?"

I've already been in it !!! It's just like the old Camaro, not enough headroom.

You want headroom, buy a bus

just kiddin..... I've been driving a 2000 Honda Prelude for 8 years - talk about lack of headroom.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #185
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Well, it is too bad an employee of 30 years lost his job because of these photo's.. It must be devastating to him and his family at the moment. My prayers go out to his family.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #186
crazy-canuck

Drives: no jap crap
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
You've seen panels stamped that deep before?
Funny you should ask! I'm actually a Tool & Die maker here in Oshawa, and have not seen the dies yet, as they are due to arrive soon (probably still in Japan ).
I was amazed at how smooth , and wrinkle free the panels were after being drawn so deep.The panels I have seen after paint are almost perfect, and these were painted black. It still blows my mind at what can be done to a piece of sheet metal !!
I can't get over the quality jump we've made over just 5 years ago!!
The master jigs alone would blow your mind !! Picture a full-sized billet aluminum 2010 Camaro!! I have never seen anything like it!! I hope GM releases pictures of it, because the enthusiasts would freak over it.
It will be cool building these cars , after years of assembling "bread & butter" cars !!!
Old 05-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #187
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Funny you should ask! I'm actually a Tool & Die maker here in Oshawa, and have not seen the dies yet, as they are due to arrive soon (probably still in Japan ).
I was amazed at how smooth , and wrinkle free the panels were after being drawn so deep.The panels I have seen after paint are almost perfect, and these were painted black. It still blows my mind at what can be done to a piece of sheet metal !!
The master jigs alone would blow your mind !! Picture a full-sized billet aluminum 2010 Camaro!! I have never seen anything like it!! I hope GM releases pictures of it, because the enthusiasts would freak over it.
It will be cool building these cars , after years of assembling "bread & butter" cars !!!
Actually I saw them being finalized here in Michigan a few weeks ago. All the die work is being done at home! I thought the test panels were looking really good too and am glad to know that a pro agrees! The die-guys in Flint were REALLY into getting everything perfect on this one.

We are all getting a lot more proud of our products at GM, in fact we all agreed the other day in casual conversation that there is only ONE car left that we are really embarrassed about that we still make and it's not even a bad car.... just really 90's looking.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #188
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Just curious if anyone has lost there job over these photos?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:04 AM   #189
aston70

Drives: Me Nutz!! Arrrrgh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLESgoneWILD View Post
Just curious if anyone has lost there job over these photos?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=171
Old 05-31-2008, 02:02 AM   #190
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Sad day indeed for that family. Gosh....and I reallllly feel bad for dudes son. 30 years gone....just like that. No pension...no nothing. Too harsh. Let it go....
Old 05-31-2008, 03:30 AM   #191
CAMARO>mustang

Drives: 1989 RS Camaro
I CANT WAIT DAMN IT!!! gas is gonna cost like 5 bucks a gallon by the time the camaro comes out MUSCLE CARS ARE DYING OUT!!! NOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 05:50 AM   #192
crazy-canuck

Drives: no jap crap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO>mustang View Post
I CANT WAIT DAMN IT!!! gas is gonna cost like 5 bucks a gallon by the time the camaro comes out MUSCLE CARS ARE DYING OUT!!! NOOOO!!!!!!!!!
I have to disagree !!! That statement was said back in 1972 with the oil shortages. Back then muscle cars were getting 8 MPG. It took 15 years, but the muscle car wars started up again with the Mustang and Camaro . Today, a Corvette gets 25 MPG. Times are changing, that's a fact, and our cars will change with it. Our thinking will have to change also. The days of 572's are over, and I can see in the next few years people stuffing turbo 4 cylinder power plants in their 69 Camaros like the ones powering the Solstice. Can you imagine 35 MPG, and still lots of HP from a 60's car ?? These days are coming !!! I'm looking forward to the new technology.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:08 AM   #193
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:

Judging by the quality you've seen of the stamped panels, would you say the fit and finish of the body is going to be near perfect? That's one thing I'm hoping for is near zero gap tollerance on body panel fitment, to the point you almost can't find a seam anywhere on the car.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:58 AM   #194
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
With that hood the fit-finish will have to be near perfect. Notice the hood is framed by body panels all 4 sides.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:16 AM   #195
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
I'm sorry to hear this fellow lost his job over this.
This is a pretty amazing thread over all.

Look at what happened in this case. Serious business indeed.

Last edited by Maddog78; 05-31-2008 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Serious Business
Old 05-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #196
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Judging by the quality you've seen of the stamped panels, would you say the fit and finish of the body is going to be near perfect? That's one thing I'm hoping for is near zero gap tollerance on body panel fitment, to the point you almost can't find a seam anywhere on the car.
I highly doubt the quality is going to be anywhere near as good as you are imagining here. In my opinion, it will take years for GM to catch up to Nissan and Toyota for example in terms of build quality for cars in the same price range. What I mean by this is that after the Camaro is released, it will take years to see whether the build quality of the Camaro remains strong and free from issue's for the large majority of them sold. Currently reliability and American cars aren't two words that go together in the automotive world I'm sad to say considering it used to be just the opposite. I've had a Pontiac G6 that I bought brand new a few years ago and it has been by all accounts a lemon of a car going back to the dealer once every few months for major problems that you rarely see in Toyota's or Nissan's in the first few years. I do hope that the Camaro I get doesn't have as much trouble as my G6. I just can't stand the looks of the Nissan's and Toyota's which is probably the main reason I always buy either Ford or GM. At least GM is above Dodge in build quality.. Corvette's are notorious for having small problems very early on (car gets creaky after six months, tire rods going bad, tilt steering wheel clicking when turning..etc..) These are things you come to expect with GM vehicles that you don't see so early while buying Japanese cars. Perhaps it is better building techniques or better work ethics or training of employees, however the reality is already there.. I know GM is striving for excellence and to change this image that they as well as other American car companies have.. And I do hope we start seeing this change in the new Camaro..

Closed Thread