Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 12-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
What type of tools should I invest in?

I have never worked on any car mainly because I never cared about the vehicles I had. However, this being my first real car I can be proud of I want to be hands on and do everything from oil changes, brakes, eventually clutch replacement all the way to installing the headers myself.

I have basic tools like a hammer and screwdrivers, but beyond that what are some good started tools i should invest in? I went into Home depot and everything is so overwhelming.

Also since I just bough my first home last year I'm sure I'm going to need tools as the house gets older.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
One of those "mechanics tool sets" would probably be a good start for basic ratchets/sockets. I think every brand has them, something like Husky/Kobalt/Craftsman would suit you just fine I imagine.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
My wife bought me a Craftsman tool chest and drawers many years ago. I started to fill them with tools a little a time when I see them on sale at Sears or online. Lately however, I noticed that Craftsman tools are now made in China so I haven't been buying them lately.
I would go with a basic mechanics set and a homeowners set.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
FireSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I was in the same position as you a couple years ago. I bought a mechanics tool kit from Lowes. I think it was similar to this one http://www.lowes.com/pd_573343-25428...999909119&pl=1 I have been able to do everything from basic maintenance to installing headers and a cat-back exhaust, all in my garage. Hands down the best purchase I have made so far. Just a great investment all around
FireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I had always wanted really nice tools, you know, clean 'em off so they are shiny after the job.

Well I have some like that. But the ones I use routinely are heavy duty but crappy. You want a socket set, sure. SAE and Metric. Six point sockets, 3/4" drive for starters.

But you know what? Go to some yardsales. And consider impact socket tools even if you don't have an impact wrench.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
You put header install at the end like it's the hardest lol. The clutch replacement you would have to be pretty knowledgeable with cars, no beginner task at all. As for headers I had never even changed oil or used a jack before I installed them. It's super easy on these cars.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Make sure you have nice quality torque wrenches. I mean MAKE SURE. Get a larger one and a smaller one. High quality.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
My wife bought me a Craftsman tool chest and drawers many years ago. I started to fill them with tools a little a time when I see them on sale at Sears or online. Lately however, I noticed that Craftsman tools are now made in China so I haven't been buying them lately.
I would go with a basic mechanics set and a homeowners set.
I bought a few tools, then realized I needed a tool box. During Black Friday last year i picked up a bigger 16 drawer tool chest (probably find them on sale right now around christmas time). Since then its slowly getting filled up as I do projects on the cars and truck and figure out what I don't have and need.
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
idealer

Drives: 2015 2LT Convertible
I started with something like this. Actually it is the same thing but this was about 10 years ago and it cost $199 then when on sale.

http://www.sears.com/263-pc-mechanic...p-00940263000P
Old 12-06-2015, 09:40 PM   #10
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
an Craftsman tool set like idealer said will do just about it all. You also will need a good torque wrench. These cars have a lot of aluminum and easily strip. A good torque wrench cost $250. Your going to need inlb and ftlb 40inlb to 110ftlbs. 1ftlb = 12inlb. The cheap ones are not worth your engine. I buy Snap On Torque wrenches. If someone says you can use something cheaper it's because they're cheap. It won't last and probably wasn't accurate to begin with. Everything on the Camaro need to be torqued to the proper spec. You can't just tight enough it. It will fail. You might get lucky a few times but it will strip or it will loosen up.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #11
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
This is some good info I am actually looking for the same thing. At the moment I use my old mans tools when I go there, but some tools he does not have or he leaves it in his truck when he goes out of town. Like to have my own set around the house.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #12
PowerMax

Drives: '13 BRM 2SS/RS LS3 M6 NPP HSTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Make sure you have nice quality torque wrenches. I mean MAKE SURE. Get a larger one and a smaller one. High quality.
This may surprise you: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additio...rench-testing/

I've been using a HF torque wrench for years, now - rebuilt everything from chainsaw engines to fire-breathing 406 SBC's. No problems at all. As stated in the HR test ...be sure to always turn the torque setting back to 0-10 ft-lb for storage.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #13
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I have a large tool box and several small sets. But I have these things called "kids" that like to pilfer through your stuff and "borrow it" (forever) or lose it, or give it to a friend.
I have lost count of how many tool sets I have bought over the years.
Devote an entire drawer to the four standard size tools that you use for everything and buy 20 of each.
The rest, just don't matter.
I'm being sarcastic, to a point, but you think you can find a 10mm anything in my tool box? Go for it. So irritating. I have 10,000 tools and never have the one I need even though I put it there two days ago.

I bought one of those fold out (Costco) Craftsman tool kits that I keep with my Jeep, it's not very complete, but has bailed me out more times than I can count.

All the rest of the stuff, crows foot wrenches, square drive sockets, 1/2" drive kits, never get used.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #14
cowboy casey

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Just starting out, for what and how you are going to be using them go to harbor freight and get a toolbox and tools.. I know, everyone is going to say they are crap tools, but they work great for someone that will only be using them 2 to 5 times a year.. If you find there is a wrench or tool that you use a lot and need better get a nicer one..

Here is a 20% off 7-9 Dec
http://images.harborfreight.com/hftw...715-coupon.png

175 for a nice tool box
http://www.harborfreight.com/11-draw...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

And here is a 225 Pc Mechanic's Tool Set that would be a great starter set for 119..
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-62664.html

cowboy casey is offline   Reply With Quote