Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
DRL-1 Flashing Sidemarkers Installed

Repost with install video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Anybody install the Flashing Sidemarker controller module from DanielSternLighing on a RS equiped car?

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...rkerflash.html
Only found one guy who installed the Flashing Sidemarker module on a 5th gen RS . He had a shop do it so he wasn't able to answer any how to questions. So I got in touch with Daniel Stern who answered every question I had. The module gets installed exactly as per the instructions. Only wrinkle for me was that I have the Gen5DIY Always-On Halo harness (on a RS car the Halos are the Parking Lamps not the Turn Signals). So I had to tap into the factory Halo feed before the Always-On harness to keep the Sidemarkers from being always on.

The install is a 3 on a 5 wrench scale. Not difficult but detailed. Figure 2 hrs. No special tools required except have a good wire stripper. I used an Irwin 8" self-adjusting stripper ..works like a charm!!! Make sure you have everything you need before you start ( Ground terminal ring, Posi connectors if you're not going to solder), 18AWG wire to extend the module wires, Split Wire Loom (optional). Have the ground wire prepared and the controller's extended wires measured, cut and striped (run thru the looms before stripping if using looms) before you start. Measure the wire length based on where you attach the controller module. I attached it where shown in post#12 in this thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487933. I only needed to extend 3 module wires (right sidemarker and left turn signal & sidemarker) which I enclosed in a wire loom to protect them and make things look factory.

I didn't solder instead I used 18AWG Posi-Locs & 20-24AWG Posi-Taps. I attached the posi-locks to the extention wires and the posi-taps to the tapped wires first so that when I ran the wires all I had to do was screw the posi connectors together. Tried to make it as plugNplay as possible as you don't want to futz around trying to stripNsplice things in place in the tight areas you have to work in. Start by loosly attaching the controller module with zip ties to your chosen location before you start running any wires. I finished by tightening the controller module zip ties and wrapping all posi connectors and any exposed wires with 3M Super33+ electric tape then zipped tied things to factory wiring to tidy things up. Here are day & nite vids. Very pleased.

Attached Images

Last edited by camguynj; 05-21-2017 at 06:27 AM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #2
Hurst
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS, LS3
Interesting... May look into this. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:03 AM   #3
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst View Post
Interesting... May look into this. Thanks.
I did it as a safety measure. I would have preferred blinking side mirrors but I don't like the shape of the aftermarket ones ...and the cost! So this is the next best thing and a whole lot cheaper.

UPDATE also installed blinking turn signals on existing mirrors. See post #59 https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...9#post11079479

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mpq8vK...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by camguynj; 03-12-2022 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Hurst
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS, LS3
Would this work on the rear Side Markers as well?
Old 05-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst View Post
Would this work on the rear Side Markers as well?
Yes. If you want just the rear sidemarkers to flash you just need to extend the controller's sidemarker wires to the rear sidemarker wires instead of the front sidemarkers.

If you want to both the front and rear sidemarkers flashing you would need two controller modules wired separately. You would tap the front module's parking lamp and turn signal wires to the right halo & turn signal feed wires and tap the rear module's parking lamp and turn signal wires to the left halo & turn signal feed wires, and extend the rear controller's sidemarker wires to the rear sidemarker wires.