Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Thanks Matt and BNR for your responses.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #16
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Have you monitored any of your engines parameters real time? Like afr, stft's or ltft's...kr, timing... To get mpg's like that you'd almost have to be running super lean...which isn't good. ='s elevated cylinder temps = possible piston melt. Did they actually tune it or just supply you with a base tune and waiting for a data log to make adjustments?

Congrats on being one of the first to take the plunge.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #17
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
Have you monitored any of your engines parameters real time? Like afr, stft's or ltft's...kr, timing... To get mpg's like that you'd almost have to be running super lean...which isn't good. ='s elevated cylinder temps = possible piston melt. Did they actually tune it or just supply you with a base tune and waiting for a data log to make adjustments?

Congrats on being one of the first to take the plunge.
An app like Torque for Android could get your stfts or ltfts (short term fuel trims or long term fuel trims) but would only show commanded AFR, which I'm not sure would help since it is not the actual AFR.

Would a lean condition for a tune definitely show up in the LTFTs? I monitor this on my Torque app from time to time...but I can't remember which way this would show...negative or positive? lol
Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #18
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

positive LTFT's are an indication of leaning out. positive LTFT's are where the ECU thinks it needs to add more fuel...thus:

LTFT averages:
The LTFT’s are an indication on whether your PCM is having to adjust for a rich condition, as indicated by a negative value, or a lean condition, indicated by a positive value.

LTFT's are dismissed somewhat during idle as AFR should be closer to 14.7:1, but during WOT should be monitored more closely as WOT AFR is generally lower between 12.5-13:1. LTFT's of 0-5% are expected, especially with different fuel blends, and blends that contain ethanol. ethanol blends of 10-15% will throw off your LTFT's fo sho! LTFT's over 10% during idle and especially WOT (and particular anything over 20%) are an indication that the commanded AFR is out of whack and needs adjustment.

i understand that more than likely AFR is NOT being monitored, but thought i'd ask in case a wide band O2 sensor had either been installed or utilized during tuning.

running lean, which can be monitored by watching LTFT's (positive LTFT's) will produce better results when it comes to MPG's, but isn't necessarily ideal. especially if your are running it hard.

my recommendation, as many others will advise, is that when you change the parameters at which your vehicle operates at, it is highly advised that you monitor them. "to err is human..."

hope that makes sense and helps.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
positive LTFT's are an indication of leaning out. positive LTFT's are where the ECU thinks it needs to add more fuel...thus:

LTFT averages:
The LTFT’s are an indication on whether your PCM is having to adjust for a rich condition, as indicated by a negative value, or a lean condition, indicated by a positive value.

LTFT's are dismissed somewhat during idle as AFR should be closer to 14.7:1, but during WOT should be monitored more closely as WOT AFR is generally lower between 12.5-13:1. LTFT's of 0-5% are expected, especially with different fuel blends, and blends that contain ethanol. ethanol blends of 10-15% will throw off your LTFT's fo sho! LTFT's over 10% during idle and especially WOT (and particular anything over 20%) are an indication that the commanded AFR is out of whack and needs adjustment.

i understand that more than likely AFR is NOT being monitored, but thought i'd ask in case a wide band O2 sensor had either been installed or utilized during tuning.

running lean, which can be monitored by watching LTFT's (positive LTFT's) will produce better results when it comes to MPG's, but isn't necessarily ideal. especially if your are running it hard.

my recommendation, as many others will advise, is that when you change the parameters at which your vehicle operates at, it is highly advised that you monitor them. "to err is human..."

hope that makes sense and helps.
We data logged same day had no indications of it running lean.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #20
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

how long did you let the ECU "relearn" before you began data logging? im not knocking the tune, but do have some questions as to how they are able to produce both drastic gains in butt dyno performance and an increase in MPG's with nothing more than tuning.

do they just data log or dyno tune? do they have before and after dyno pulls? the selling point is going to be what the dyno before and afters are with graphs...not just a "seat of the pants".

not being a debby downer, just asking the questions that everybody wants answers to. sounds too good to be true and IPF hasn't really backed up their claims yet with "proof". if you can, try getting a data log after about 100mi's. the ECU should be settled by then and have some fairly solid data as to what is going on. the LTFT's can easily be reset and take some driving before they begin to show the true reading.

also, do they adjust the knock sensitivity? what parameters do they change to get their results?

its good to hear that the tune is working for you and that you've made some gains...even if just MPG's.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #21
KMPrenger

Quote:
how long did you let the ECU "relearn" before you began data logging? im not knocking the tune, but do have some questions as to how they are able to produce both drastic gains in butt dyno performance and an increase in MPG's with nothing more than tuning.

do they just data log or dyno tune? do they have before and after dyno pulls? the selling point is going to be what the dyno before and afters are with graphs...not just a "seat of the pants".

not being a debby downer, just asking the questions that everybody wants answers to. sounds too good to be true and IPF hasn't really backed up their claims yet with "proof". if you can, try getting a data log after about 100mi's. the ECU should be settled by then and have some fairly solid data as to what is going on. the LTFT's can easily be reset and take some driving before they begin to show the true reading.

also, do they adjust the knock sensitivity? what parameters do they change to get their results?

its good to hear that the tune is working for you and that you've made some gains...even if just MPG's.
Hapisok, you make some good points, but you seem to have missed some things over the last month or two here. There are now two or three IPF tunes with before and after dyno graphs (even compared to Trifecta) on N/A cars showing fantastic gains, so there is "proof" or at least "evidence" that their claims aren't just hype. I'd personally like to see a couple more graphs to back it up before I can feel 100% confident saying their tune makes the most power, but until then I don't.

Also, unless Jesse, Arno, and other sources from IPF are straight up lieing to me, they do no mess with knock sensitivity and safe guards are still in place.

Now, as for the change in MPGs, even I agree that it sounds a little bit on the high side, but come on, we don't know what other factors could have been in play here. I do agree with you that that at least taking a look at fuel trims right now would be a good idea. You can never be to careful, especially when considering the health of your engine when you are modding.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #22
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
can you look at these items with a diagnostic tool
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #23
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

KM , your right...I have missed those threads IRT their before and after graphs. Thanks for pointing that out.

Not all tuners are created equal...and it appears they've found a way to give the competition a run for his money.

Has there been any cross talk about tuning the cams with ipf to see what results they get...if different?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #24
Blues45th

Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
I will be heading to see Matt and Rodney at fsp . My mods are cai inc with scoop and w/w relocation kit , mrt v2 , vmax ptb and im lowered 1.25 wanted to know what you guys think are some of the gains. Really can't wait. Think it's gonna make the car a whole new ride .
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #25
KMPrenger

Quote:
KM , your right...I have missed those threads IRT their before and after graphs. Thanks for pointing that out.

Not all tuners are created equal...and it appears they've found a way to give the competition a run for his money.

Has there been any cross talk about tuning the cams with ipf to see what results they get...if different?
Well put it this way.... if Yellow_Glide wants them to, IPF will take a crack at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues45th View Post
I will be heading to see Matt and Rodney at fsp . My mods are cai inc with scoop and w/w relocation kit , mrt v2 , vmax ptb and im lowered 1.25 wanted to know what you guys think are some of the gains. Really can't wait. Think it's gonna make the car a whole new ride .
Are you doing before/after dynos? Please say you are and post up the results...whether good or not so good lol. We need to see more.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #26
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

is there any reason that Jesse, Arno, and other sources from IPF are NOT offering up independent dyno testing of their tune? what is with all the secrets? any other time there is a product brought to the community, vendors generally don't hesitate to allow 3rd party testing.

Taintedveins: do you have a copy of your logs?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #27
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
They did put up a independent dyno on their sponsored thread about the tune. Then they ran a comparison against trifecta as well...

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #28
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
is there any reason that Jesse, Arno, and other sources from IPF are NOT offering up independent dyno testing of their tune? what is with all the secrets? any other time there is a product brought to the community, vendors generally don't hesitate to allow 3rd party testing.

Taintedveins: do you have a copy of your logs?
I can see if Jesse can post the logs.