Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
TXhogghunter

Drives: GTO
My head is spinning, which direction to go?

Hey guys, thanks for adding me to the forum..

Heres my story, first off I am a "mopar" guy, I own a few cars (70' v code super bee, 71 shaker hemi challenger (not original n96 r code car, sadly, lol), and a couple others), and I wanted something reliable that can get mpg beyond 7 mpg with AC and leather, but still sporty and fast... SO I bought a scat pack shaker challenger, car was fast and I enjoyed it for a bit, BUT THEN it broke, and then it broke, and then it broke, without going into deep details, that car is GONE at a substantial loss...

So knowing about the ls reliability, I was buying a 2017 zl1, UNTIL I sat in it, I'm 6' 5" tall and a "big" guy, with the seat in the 17 zl1 all the way back and down, I was NOT comfortable, then I tried sitting in a 5th gen non sunroof car and it was night and day, its a comfortable car....

I was going to buy a 5th gen zl1, then I started thinking, they are all 30K+, so instead of spending $40K on a zl1, why not find a low mile 5th gen, add a super charger, add some decent wheels, exhaust, cai, and make the car my own... The car is JUST A TOY so if I can save $10K on it I would like to, I will probably put 3k miles a year on it...

so I found a ss2 automatic with 20K miles on it and pulled the trigger, car already has long tube headers and stock mufflers (which is what I wanted, just want to add a pair of electric exhaust cutouts), cai, and decent wheels and tires...

Now I need to decide on....

-which super charger kit
-which pair of electric cutouts for exhaust
-which nav/radio unit that will work with steering control with install kit that will work with heated seats...

and I already bought a 1LE steering wheel (getting rid of paddles all together) and a kilduff machine lightening rod style shifter, I have one in my 70 d100 and LOVE them things, lol, I dont know why they make me smile, but they do...

Depending on which way I go with them 3 items, I am hoping to be under $23K for the car all tuned and done... Obviously doing all the work myself ( I have a full shop at the house, rotary compressor, 2 post lift, and just about every tool snap-on makes, so that should save me some money...

Thanks for reading my story, and I will appreciate any info tips tricks recommendations you gentleman may have to offer...

so far car, shifter, steering wheel, detailing I am at $14,890, I would like to do $700 for radio and install kit, $500 ish for cutouts, and 6000 ish for super charger... if its possible any ideas?
TXhogghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
First off, welcome and congrats on your purchase!

1. In regards to supercharger kits, there is a plethora of options. Whipple, Edelbrock, Magneson, Procharger, etc.

A good place to read up on the supercharger options would be the Forced Induction subform.

2. I don't really know much about cut outs.. But a good place to ask about that would be the V8 Engine, Exhaust and Bolt-ons subform.

3. Radio and Navigation information can be found in this subform.

Gen5DIY sells the Mylink touchscreen/controls that are found in the later model 5th gen Camaros. I believe you have to buy the wiring harnesses from him separately. He's also a vendor on this forum, so you can always shoot him a private message if you'd like to ask him for more information.

I know all of this information can be overwhelming, but if you look around Camaro5.. you'll realize that there's info on basically every inch of the car on this forum.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
welcome

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #4
TXhogghunter

Drives: GTO
thanks guys, I am going to check out them sub forums overflow...
TXhogghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Welcome!

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, RPM 5” CAI, Kooks Headers, Solo Cat Back, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:51 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
CONGRATS on the ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5/6. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives', husbands, girlfriends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

Name:  MAGIC FRIDGE.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  86.6 KB

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 06-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
ZZZTOPZZZ

Drives: 2013 L99 2SS Vert
+1 for Procharger.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #8
USCAMARO14

Drives: 2LS 2014
WELCOME!!