Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
bstregs

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Chrome Exhaust Issue

So, I, embarrassingly, let my exhaust tips go (Haven't cleaned them since I got the car a month and a half ago). Now they are super oxidized. So, I went and got Mother's Chrome Polish, and I've applied it a few times and buffed it off with no obvious improvement. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Vararam Intake, Long tube headers, high flow cats, Flow Master Cat back exhaust, 180 degree thermostat, custom tune, high performance plugs and wires, custom strips, 2 10" Alpine subs in custom boxes, Punch 1000 Watt amp

She likes to go fast....
bstregs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
bstregs

Now that I think of it, I'm not 100% they're actually chrome. Stainless Steel maybe?
Vararam Intake, Long tube headers, high flow cats, Flow Master Cat back exhaust, 180 degree thermostat, custom tune, high performance plugs and wires, custom strips, 2 10" Alpine subs in custom boxes, Punch 1000 Watt amp

She likes to go fast....
Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Archonlord

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT
I clean mine stainless steel tips with soap and water and use Jewelers rouge and a soft cloth to make them shiny.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
bstregs

I think they're past that point. I was using a terry cloth with the Mother's and pushing into it pretty hard. I can't imagine that soap and water would be better, but I'm home, so I can give it a try.

She likes to go fast....
Old 10-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
I'm assuming you tried soap and water first, correct?

Just saw your post above, it's the first thing you want to try, as long as their cool to the touch....hose down with water, all purpose cleaner (Adams or equivalent) and try again
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
bstregs

Didn't do that first. I'll try as soon as they cool off.

She likes to go fast....
Old 10-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
djxrated81

Drives: 2011 camaro SS/RS
DO IT NOW!! Arnold Schwarzenegger voice
2011 2SS/RS Airaid cai, ARH HF cats X pipe, SLP LM1, 160stat,RX Catch can, Tuned @ Tune Time Performance, side marker black outs, decepticon bowtie emblems, stealth turn sig. bulbs,Hyper White DTRL Painted GFX, Havoc Spoiler
[IMG][SIGPIC]
djxrated81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
The FlowMaster uses polished stainless for the tips. The biggest problem you are having is heat from the headers and cats. You will have to use a good polish and start over with them. You will need a lot of time and elbow grease to bring them back.

If you have to, start with a 1500 - 2000 grit paper or scotch bright. Then use a car polish followed by tooth PASTE.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
bstregs

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxrated81 View Post
DO IT NOW!! Arnold Schwarzenegger voice
I reread this in his voice.... ahaha!

She likes to go fast....
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstregs View Post
Didn't do that first. I'll try as soon as they cool off.
Ohh I see...wait till your exhaust tips and wheels are cool always....specific cleaners and heat dislike each other and will more often than not discolor your rim or whatever
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
bstregs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
The FlowMaster uses polished stainless for the tips. The biggest problem you are having is heat from the headers and cats. You will have to use a good polish and start over with them. You will need a lot of time and elbow grease to bring them back.

If you have to, start with a 1500 - 2000 grit paper or scotch bright. Then use a car polish followed by tooth PASTE.
Wait, what? Sand paper? Tooth paste? I know what you mean about the elbow grease though. I was really laying into it to get a small amount of the black stuff off.

She likes to go fast....
Old 10-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstregs View Post
Wait, what? Sand paper? Tooth paste? I know what you mean about the elbow grease though. I was really laying into it to get a small amount of the black stuff off.

LOL ... Start with just some car polish and see if that works. The problem you are having is, the heat from the headers is baking all the gunk on.

Start light, you can always increase the abrasiveness of what you are using.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
bstregs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
LOL ... Start with just some car polish and see if that works. The problem you are having is, the heat from the headers is baking all the gunk on.

Start light, you can always increase the abrasiveness of what you are using.
Thank you!!!

She likes to go fast....
Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
CyberBri
BRUCE WAYNES DD

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
I would deff buy a can of never dull!! I have a yamaha banshee that is all chrome and polished.this stuff cleans everything back to a shine.DO NOT use sandpaper it will scratch them forever !!

CyberBri is offline   Reply With Quote