Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
tbirdsleeve
CMSgt, USAF

Drives: 2018 Nissan Maxima SR Midnight Edit
Opportunity to Trade 1LE for 2014 ZL1?

Good morning--I could really use some advice from fellow 1LE owners--I own what up til yesterday what I thought was my dream car--I bought it to celebrate my retirement from the Air Force--2013 1LE with Summit White/2SS/RS/Heritage Grill/Sunroof/Nav/Floor matts/Trunk Matt/SS console--it only has 1,800 miles on it--I bought it with no trade (no negative equity) and ordered from factory for only $250 over invoice (thanks Becky!)--so yesterday on a whim my wife and I pull into local Chevy dealer (small town in MA)--believe it or not the Sales Manager said they had never had a 1LE in their inventory and he LOVED mine--on their showroom floor is a 2014 ZL1 also in Summit White with the Black Rims/Nav/Sunroof/Recaros/Suede package/Carbon hood insert--I laughed and told him that is the ONLY car I would ever consider trading mine for but that we could NEVER come to an agreeable deal--he said "not so fast"--if they sell a ZL1 they get another allocation from Chevrolet--plus in a small town with winter coming the market for a $60,000+ sports car is limited--he also said my 1LE would be a easy resell for them--he said they would "do whatever it took to make a deal"--ZL1 stickers for $62,040 and without any serious haggling yet they are down to $58,695--they are still calling around to get a trade in price on my 1LE--so the deal parameters are still very raw--but seems doable if we continue to work on it--I know the ZL1 is "top of the line" and the ONLY thing I would change is the brake lights and brake calipers red like the 1LE instead of black like they are on ZL1--other than that PERFECT--but I also know production number-wise the 1LE is more rare and only true Camaro enthusiast know what a 1LE is--surface guesstimate is my payment will go up $200 a month--bottom-line--with similar situation presented would any of you seriously consider/do this deal ? Thanks a TON for your respective advice/inputs! Have a great day!
tbirdsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Cool1LE

Drives: 2014 Blk 2SS/1LE
Get ready for the 14 refresh smack talk....... taillights, half- breed etc.

If you have the cash and you drove both and enjoy the "upgrade" then go for it!
Cool1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
ntrimm

Drives: 2013 ZL1. Black on Black on Black
Do it. But he can do better than that deal. Keep negotiating.
ntrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Fraxum

Drives: Someday an M6 LT1 Built with Becky!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Tough decision! You can't go wrong with either car. But keep your cool and see what the final numbers are. I would not take less than $38K as trade for your loaded 1LE. That # might be tough to get.

The 1LE is the better pure track car by a little, but the ZL1 is the better all around performance car. And has a better ride. The penalty is gas guzzler tax, more $$$, and mileage.

Despite the rarity of the 1LE the ZL1 will probably hold its value a little better. But neither is collectible.

The big question is once you see the actual price difference:

Delivered ZL1 price - 1LE trade value = $???

Then you have to ask yourself if $??? is worth it to you.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Will be curious what the trade in will be. I'm guessing they are going to be in the $35K range.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Fraxum

Drives: Someday an M6 LT1 Built with Becky!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool1LE View Post
Get ready for the 14 refresh smack talk....... taillights, half- breed etc.

If you have the cash and you drove both and enjoy the "upgrade" then go for it!
Hopefully the haters have fully vented by now and are losing interest.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: Harley Davidson Street Glide
I thought you were in S.C.,anyways don't think you'll be able to change the lights out,but I'm not sure.But DO IT DO IT if the trade in is good on your 1LE,if I had an extra 10K I would've bought a ZL-1
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Hmm. Your story sounds alot like mine believe it or not. I had a '13 2SS/1LE BRM with NPP, Nav, Sunroof, Prem floor mats, Cargo net that I bought with GM preferred pricing, plus private offer, USAA. Needless to say I traded it in with 488 miles at the odometer for a '12 ZL1 which was a CPO which I came across at a local dealership. The 1LE was amazing and then my dumbass decided to test drive a ZL1, lol. I walked away with the ZL1 and I to traded it to a dealership whom didnt have a 1LE on their lot and wanted to get rid of the ZL1.

At that particular time I was given $44,500 for my trade. The MSRP was $45,120 I believe and I bought the car for $40,070. I was stupid not to make $4k off of it so I opted for the ZL1. I don't regret it one bit. The choice is yours, and it's a win-win either way.

You have 2 choices either a '13 or a '14. I don't like the rear end of the 14s but do love the recaro seat option. There isn't anything I dislike about the '12-13 models other than I wish they came with the recaro seat as an option.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
tbirdsleeve
CMSgt, USAF

Drives: 2018 Nissan Maxima SR Midnight Edit
Well--haggled all day--best I could get them to do was $58,600 for the ZL1 (great price) but only $32,000 for my 1LE--they said as they called around looking for bids/offers on the 1LE that wholesaler's didn't know what it was or how to price it--arrrrgh--so bottom line I will gladly remain a 1LE owner--it's a great car that I truly love--was worth trying to get the top-of-the-line ZL1 though--have a great night everyone!!!
tbirdsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #10
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Sorry your deal fell through but it did for a reason...
The 1LE is an awesome car but still it's not a ZL1..
I too intend to trade mine in eventually for a Z!.
See the mistake is you should of been negotiating your trade on a much nicer looking left over 13 ZL1 , there's more room to work the numbers..

At least that's what I plan on doing, if I do it though, the more I wait the harder it is cause I fall deeper and deeper in with my 1LE....I got a little over 2K miles on her now and she is officially broken in and driving beautifully, especially since I did all fluid changes to synthetic about 500 miles ago!!

Oh and I wouldn't take a penny less then 35k on trade for yours!
With the money you'll save on not paying taxes again on that amount that is a good reasonable and fair price.
GOOD LUCK!!!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #11
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Buy the Z/28 instead. Closer to the 1LE with some blend of that and ZL1. Going to be bad a$$.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
When looking for my 1LE a local dealer had two 2013 ZL1's with one at $55k without sunroof but everything else. I offered $50 but they wouldn't bite.
EarlyApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Buy the Z/28 instead. Closer to the 1LE with some blend of that and ZL1. Going to be bad a$$.

That will be more expensive than the ZL1, at least that's what they said on the video with Jay Leno
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post

You are right. The Z/28 is going to be bad ass, but probably not so hot as a daily driver. Just something to think about.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote