Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-30-2019, 04:48 AM   #43
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
Are you running custom wheels now? Are they hub centric or lug centric? I would suggest visiting a different tire shop to verify correct balancing and that you don't need hub rings.

My vibration issues have been due to improper balancing. There are other causes but it's the best place to start. Past that, take the car to a competent mechanic for inspection of mounts, suspension, and driveline.

Last edited by Turbo_J89; 12-30-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:17 PM   #44
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_J89 View Post
Are you running custom wheels now? Are they hub centric or lug centric? I would suggest visiting a different tire shop to verify correct balancing and that you don't need hub rings.

My vibration issues have been due to improper balancing. There are other causes but it's the best place to start. Past that, take the car to a competent mechanic for inspection of mounts, suspension, and driveline.
Proof people don't always read the original post
Old 01-01-2020, 08:01 AM   #45
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
Proof people don't always read the original post
Proof people don't always read the entire thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lift4dapump View Post
Update: all brand new tires and rims. No fix. I can accelerate full throttle till 3rd gear no vibrations. Once I shift to 4 and up the vibrations are outrage. Even if I'm at 70 coasting, in 6th, I press the gas to go up a few mph and vibration is harsh. I doubt it's the drive shaft since i can run first gear to 6k rpms no vibrations

Last edited by Turbo_J89; 01-01-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #46
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by lift4dapump View Post
Update: all brand new tires and rims. No fix. I can accelerate full throttle till 3rd gear no vibrations. Once I shift to 4 and up the vibrations are outrage. Even if I'm at 70 coasting, in 6th, I press the gas to go up a few mph and vibration is harsh. I doubt it's the drive shaft since i can run first gear to 6k rpms no vibrations
Actually, by the symptoms, I would start from the trans back. The driveshaft is going much slower at redline 1st than it is at freeway speed. The output shaft on the trans, drive shaft, and rear end yoke are always spinning at rpm of the tire x your rear ended ratio. If your wheel is spinning 100 rpm and you have 3.27 gears, your driveshaft is spinning 327 rpm, 3.45=345 rpm, etc, so if you have a bad joint, bushing or bearing, the harmonic vibration becomes increasingly worse with speed. Loading up the driveshaft at high speed can reveal weaknesses that don’t appear at lower speed no matter what the engine rpm. It sounds like the problem is independent of engine rpm, so to me, that rules out engine, motor mounts, pulleys, and the front end of the trans. If it were me, I’d start by checking to see if there is any slop where the output shaft exits the tail housing on the trans and work my way back from there, checking the driveshaft, joints, yoke, rear diff, etc. If the problem isn’t found there, while hoping it’s not a problem in the rear of the trans (more of a pain but still diy fixable), I’d check any other items that are directly effected by road speed and not engine rpm, like hubs, bearings, axles, suspension bushings, etc. If you have access to a chassis ear you can narrow down the area that the vibration is coming from while driving. Then aim a GoPro at that area and drive it again.
Really long winded, but I’ve chased vibrations several times and I wish you the best. Hope this helps.
SSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:17 PM   #47
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_J89 View Post
Proof people don't always read the entire thread
Well if he had vibrating before and after buying new wheels it clearly indicates it isnt the wheels therefore you're statement was invalid lol