Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-17-2020, 11:30 PM   #1
Teeth

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
So I went with the BTR Nightfury

I have the Nightfury cam kit in the trunk of my car, as well as a new trans cooler. The VVT delete kit to convert the L99 to an LS3 is coming in the mail along with the 6l80 3200 stall converter. I also have LS9 injectors and a Flexfuel kit.

Should I also get an intake manifold, or would the stock hold up to a cam like that? What would I need to install to make this a better running engine?

Side note: That crossover Edelbrock intake manifold sure has a nice look...
L99 to LS3 conversion, Vararam ram air intake, BTR Nightfury cam, Johnson lifters, LS7 injectors, Circle D 3200 stall converter, Kooks LT headers, Custom X-pipe
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:42 PM   #2
Athletics101

Drives: 5th Gen L99
You’ll be fine with the stock intake manifold. Cordes performance racing in Tempe is a great shop. They can do the install and tune, or only the tune whatever your preference. Joe is a great guy.
LSA conversion 2.5 upper 10% lower, L99 converted to LS3. TSP 229/244 cam, TSP LS3 ported and milled heads milled .015,Kooks LT’s no cats, Roto Fab, Borla arak cat back. 3200 stall,Forgestar F14 18’s and drag radials, pedders coil overs, BMR trailing arms & adjustable toe rods, mildly stripped Interior 685/613 on E 610/571 on 91
Athletics101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:46 PM   #3
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Hard to beat the flow of the LS3 intake. Best bet after that is to have it Rod Modded. Everything else offers minimal gains for the huge expense.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Stock intake flows well. Just like others said, GPI modded one flows a wee bit better. Like the stock one it still drops off in power around 6600rpms. For a street car that is fine. You wont lose low end compared to switching to a different manifold, which will move the powerband to the right.

Just do the valvetrain right. Good springs and caged needle bearings or trunnion upgrade.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.

Last edited by Black_SS10; 01-18-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Why are you deleting VVT? That's going backwards...

Off that topic, get the GPI ported/rod modded intake manifold. Also, did you grab an underdrive pulley? With the manifold and pulley you are looking at around a 20 hp gain.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #6
Athletics101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Why are you deleting VVT? That's going backwards...

Off that topic, get the GPI ported/rod modded intake manifold. Also, did you grab an underdrive pulley? With the manifold and pulley you are looking at around a 20 hp gain.
Chill bro, the LS3 is a great motor also. VVT or not the car will be awesome after a cam swap.
LSA conversion 2.5 upper 10% lower, L99 converted to LS3. TSP 229/244 cam, TSP LS3 ported and milled heads milled .015,Kooks LT’s no cats, Roto Fab, Borla arak cat back. 3200 stall,Forgestar F14 18’s and drag radials, pedders coil overs, BMR trailing arms & adjustable toe rods, mildly stripped Interior 685/613 on E 610/571 on 91
Old 01-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
Teeth

Alright thanks guys, I was kinda worried about the stock intake and all, the throttle body should be ok too then.

And I have to delete VVT to make the engine an LS3, but the torque converter will help with the loss of torque when I take VVT out.
L99 to LS3 conversion, Vararam ram air intake, BTR Nightfury cam, Johnson lifters, LS7 injectors, Circle D 3200 stall converter, Kooks LT headers, Custom X-pipe
Old 01-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
Athletics101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeth View Post
Alright thanks guys, I was kinda worried about the stock intake and all, the throttle body should be ok too then.

And I have to delete VVT to make the engine an LS3, but the torque converter will help with the loss of torque when I take VVT out.
That’s what I told myself too.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #9
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeth View Post

The stock throttle body and intake manifold is fine. You can always upgrade to a ported throttle body and a different manifold at a later time.

Just get yourself a good torque converter, stall wise. One that matches the engine powerband.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #10
Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athletics101 View Post
That’s what I told myself too.
You have any difference in performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
The stock throttle body and intake manifold is fine. You can always upgrade to a ported throttle body and a different manifold at a later time.

Just get yourself a good torque converter, stall wise. One that matches the engine powerband.
For sure man...because I really like the look of the Edelbrock cross ram intake, lol.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:22 PM   #11
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
OP, what's the reasoning for taking out the VVT to be an LS3? I ask because I've seen too many people go that route who don't really need to. From what I've read, if you are building a car for the strip, take the VVT out, if not (and for probably most people on here), stick with the VVT!

I mean, there are guy's on this forum whose VVT cars are in the high 10's...

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #12
Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
OP, what's the reasoning for taking out the VVT to be an LS3? I ask because I've seen too many people go that route who don't really need to. From what I've read, if you are building a car for the strip, take the VVT out, if not (and for probably most people on here), stick with the VVT!

I mean, there are guy's on this forum whose VVT cars are in the high 10's...
It's all in the lifters, the Nightfury cam is super aggressive, so I need something like LS3 lifters, or better. I got the Johnson lifters for that. I could go for a VVT cam, but I wanna go all out. Plus it's setting up for boost later on.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:46 PM   #13
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
He's planning for boost. He talked about it in another thread. VVT not necessary for his plans.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:58 AM   #14
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
Stock intake is great for performance. I’m changing it for a different look- to be different. But their are plenty of 1000+ hp Camaros on the stock intake/TB.
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote