Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
Mwalters90

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
418 stroker startup problems

Hi, new to this site and new to owning a Camaro, so here's my problem:

Just purchased a 2010 Camaro SS and apparently it has a 418 stroker engine. Since I am new to engines and whatnot I did some research on it and found that I got a pretty good deal for what I paid. Anyhow, I've found that when the engine is warm (usually after driving for more than about 10 minutes), if I shut the engine off it has a problem wanting to start up again until it cools down. Is this a starter issue or maybe take it to get tuned?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff.
Thanks.
Mwalters90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Honestly it could be either, but I'd err towards it being a tune issue. I'd get that looked at first!

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Could be caused by a number of issues. I had this problem on an early camaro build I did caused by vapor lock in the fuel pump, which had been poorly located. Doubt that is your exact issue, with modern fuel injection. I would take it to a reputable garage and let them diagnose it. How's it start and run otherwise? Get any documentation when you purchased it on the blueprint for the build?
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
Mwalters90

the guy I bought it from didn't have a blueprint for it, but there is a slightly worn plaque under the hood saying it was built by some "***1 Supercar" company. Tried looking them up but couldn't find anything.

Other than when it's hot it starts up and runs fine, minus the occasional timing issues around 2-3 gear. I figured that could be fixed with a tune also.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwalters90 View Post
Hi, new to this site and new to owning a Camaro, so here's my problem:

Just purchased a 2010 Camaro SS and apparently it has a 418 stroker engine. Since I am new to engines and whatnot I did some research on it and found that I got a pretty good deal for what I paid. Anyhow, I've found that when the engine is warm (usually after driving for more than about 10 minutes), if I shut the engine off it has a problem wanting to start up again until it cools down. Is this a starter issue or maybe take it to get tuned?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff.
Thanks.
Its a starter issue. I have the L99 and same issue (im in San Antonio so same conditions). There are multiple threads on c5 about possible upgraded starters.
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
Mwalters90

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
Its a starter issue. I have the L99 and same issue (im in San Antonio so same conditions). There are multiple threads on c5 about possible upgraded starters.
well that makes sense. Did you just buy a new high torque starter and get it tuned??
Old 02-13-2016, 11:08 PM   #7
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Some have added a heat shield around the starter. But I would suggest you do that, plus get a Tim Allen starter motor--they're turbocharged!

(More power and torque)
Old 02-14-2016, 08:00 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I would think its the starter especially with the age, I had to get a new starter on mine and I have 18000 on the odometer... headers make more heat than stock exhaust radiated right where the starter is, and its normal for a radical engine with headers to trash starters every few years... BTW stock is a gear reduction already..... and the starters heat shield is a joke... LOL
Old 02-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #9
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwalters90 View Post
well that makes sense. Did you just buy a new high torque starter and get it tuned??
Havnt gotten one yet. Im a few months out from finishing my build so I figured Id do it all at the same time.

I originally thought it was the tune but after I adjusted the tune and had a new tuner look it over realized it was not the tune causing the issue.
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #10
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Yeah the starter gets heat soaked pretty badly so it struggles with restarts when the car is up to temperature. Higher torque starter could fix that but I would also do as others have said and add some sort of heat shield down there
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #11
Mwalters90

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Yeah the starter gets heat soaked pretty badly so it struggles with restarts when the car is up to temperature. Higher torque starter could fix that but I would also do as others have said and add some sort of heat shield down there
thanks for the info. There is a pretty reputable tune shop here in San Antonio called Lethal Performance. I'm thinking about taking it to them to get dyno'd anyways, mainly because I don't know exactly what is under the hood. Maybe they can give me advice from there.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #12
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Not to thread jack, but the heat soak issue has been pretty common. I ran a search for upgraded starters for camaros and haven't had any luck finding anything. Anybody got any links?
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #13
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I have a 416, and this same issue.

It's either your battery or starter, most likely. I have replaced both - first was starter. I grabbed an OEM AC Delco off amazon for 99 bucks. Hour to swap out, and it fired up perfectly. For a week. Then it was back to the old tricks.

So I picked up a new battery. Have had the issue once or twice since replacing the battery, but nothing since late July/early August. Happenstance that the weather starts cooling off shortly after that and ambient temps are down?

I'll know more this summer. I am pretty sure it was the battery, but if it happens again this summer, I'm going to drop in a Powermaster starter. Can't recall the model number, but if you search here on the forums, it's in a thread called "hot start issues" or something to that effect

There are also some who have resolved this by running a new cable to the starter.

As another 'fix' I plan on installing hex vents in the next month or two. I figure they look good, will get some heat out, and are way less costly than a new hood. The reduced heat in the engine bay will hopefully help the issue, as well.

EDIT: the Powermaster 9509xs is the one that they apparently recommend for our applications. Source HERE in post 11
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #14
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
As others said, could be tune, or starter, or even battery.

I would check tune first. I would never buy a modded car and not have the tune checked right away. Hot start tuning isn't hard, but needs to be done. That is step one. Step 2 is check the connections on the starter. Loosen, corroded, or bad connections will do this. Then swap a starter. OEM are great.

Tags
418, starter