Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #225
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
And here is a tribute to all 6 Space Shuttle Orbiters made by NASA celebrating Kennedy Space Centers 50th anniversary.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #226
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post
Here's another favorite of mine Jordy.
There really are some amazing pictures in here!

Awesome Photo...question for overflow though regarding the picture. Is the fact that there is still a bright light coming from the place of take off a time elapsed camera effect or is there something from launch pad and the entire jetstream (probably not the correct term) that is still causing illumination like that even though the shuttle is so far away?? Hopefully that makes sense!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #227
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Awesome Photo...question for overflow though regarding the picture. Is the fact that there is still a bright light coming from the place of take off a time elapsed camera effect or is there something from launch pad and the entire jetstream (probably not the correct term) that is still causing illumination like that even though the shuttle is so far away?? Hopefully that makes sense!
That shot is a combination of many shots taken during the launch in the same spot. So no, the stream of flames is not that long. But it is really that bright the entire way. It only looks dim at the top because the shuttle is already many miles away. I hope that makes sense!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #228
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
That shot is a combination of many shots taken during the launch in the same spot. So no, the stream of flames is not that long. But it is really that bright the entire way. It only looks dim at the top because the shuttle is already many miles away. I hope that makes sense!
Makes perfect sense to me, thats what I figured but since I have never seen one in person I was not sure, thanks! I am going to have to put this on my bucketlist, they still do shuttle launches like this, right?? I do not follow NASA at all, and barely ever watch the news (to much negativity for me) but I thought I heard rumors a few years ago about no more launches or something?? Maybe that was just for exploratory agendas or something, I have no idea.

Either way, if they still are launching these bad boys, I would love to experience seeing one in person!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #229
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Shuttle program is dead, unfortunately. All the orbiters are decommissioned and heading to various facilities for display.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #230
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Makes perfect sense to me, thats what I figured but since I have never seen one in person I was not sure, thanks! I am going to have to put this on my bucketlist, they still do shuttle launches like this, right?? I do not follow NASA at all, and barely ever watch the news (to much negativity for me) but I thought I heard rumors a few years ago about no more launches or something?? Maybe that was just for exploratory agendas or something, I have no idea.

Either way, if they still are launching these bad boys, I would love to experience seeing one in person!
The Space Shuttle program was retired over a year ago. The last launch was July 8th, 2011.

Space Shuttle Enterprise arrived at her permenent retirement home on the Intrepid in New York City a couple months ago for permenent display.

Space Shuttle Discovery has been at the National Air and Space Museum (Permanent retirement home) since April 2012.

Space Shuttle Atlantis rolls over to her permanent retirement home at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex on November 2.

And Space Shuttle Endeavour flies to Los Angeles September 20th-21st for her permanent retirement home at the California Science Center.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #231
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
The Space Shuttle program was retired over a year ago. The last launch was July 8th, 2011.

And Space Shuttle Endeavour flies to Los Angeles September 20th-21st for her permanent retirement home at the California Science Center.
Well damn!

By "flying" to LA, do you mean transported or its actually launching and flying there, sorry for my ignorance to this stuff.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #232
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Well damn!

By "flying" to LA, do you mean transported or its actually launching and flying there, sorry for my ignorance to this stuff.
Technically, the shuttle could launch into orbit , circle the Earth a couple times, then land at LAX (Ignoring the massive waste of rocket fuel and money that would be). But the Shuttles have already been gutted, and can never fly on their own again.

Each shuttle must take a "piggy back" ride on one of NASA's specially modified 747 aircraft, just like it did after landing in California on some missions.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #233
Sales @ CAI Inc

That is insane!! I have never seen that before and at first thought you were joking!

What, is rocket fuel expensive or something? LOL, Just kiding of course, I am not that ignorant to space travel LOL. Thanks for the education!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #234
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
That is insane!! I have never seen that before and at first thought you were joking!

What, is rocket fuel expensive or something? LOL, Just kiding of course, I am not that ignorant to space travel LOL. Thanks for the education!
It is quite a sight to behold! Seeing two planes attached.

No problem!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #235
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

In other NASA news today..

NASA's Curiosity Rover is set to land on Mars in 5 days. It is scheduled to land at 5:31 UTC on August 6th. Curiosity is the size of a car, and NASA's biggest Mars Rover yet.

Curiosity was launched by NASA November 26th, 2011. The rover's objectives include determining Mars' habitability, studying the Martian climate, studying Martian geology, and collecting data for a future manned mission to Mars.

The Mars Science Laboratory mission is part of NASA's Mars Exploration Program, a long-term effort for the robotic exploration of Mars, and the project is managed by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory of California Institute of Technology. When MSL launched, the program's director was Doug McCuistion of NASA's Planetary Science Division. The total cost of the MSL project is about US$2.5 billion.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #236
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Heat shield installation continues on Endeavour.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #237
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Now on Google Street View, you can practically visit the Kennedy Space Center!

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/video...a_id=149631771
Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #238
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65