Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #99
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
UPDATE. Just got an email from Jim and they cannot do a 70% tint so this means for those who live in one of the 12 states (like me in California) that don't allow legal tinting below 70% there isn't a street-legal solution. As a result I'm canceling my order as I don't want to go to the expense of ordering these, getting the factory glass removed and installing Optic Armor windows only to have a cop pull me over because 35% is too dark and then I have to pay to have the Optic glass removed and replaced with the factory glass to get the ticket taken care of. Wish I lived in a state that allowed 35% tint. :(

He also said the price of the side-windows had increased since they had put that chart on their website that I included in my original post. I've asked him for an update on the current prices for those who live in states (33 of them to be exact) that allow tinting at 35% so anyone who wants these will know what the exact prices are; the original list in my first post is not accurate now according to Jim. I'll post the updated pricing as soon as I get it.
Hey Doc,

Guess who's your best friend? Come on, guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California State Law
V C Section 26708.5 Transparent Materials

Transparent Materials

26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.

(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) the glass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the United States Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and (2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by those standards for the particular type of glass used.
The other argument is that the Optic Armor glass won't be tinted with an "aftermarket" tint

Quote:
Originally Posted by More California law
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rear view mirrors on both sides.
Technically - if Optic Armor ships you the glass already tinted, then it's not aftermarket and thereby not affected by the CA tint law(s).

Lawyered.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #100
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
Hey doc, i thought your eyes were really sensitive to the harmfully bright sun, making it hard for you to see while driving LOL
CA doesn't have a "medical tint exemption" unfortunately. But I did solve Doc's problem another way
Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #101
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Well the problem is Optic's windows aren't safety glass, they're polycarbonate. If I got pulled over for the tint and handed him a print-out of what you posted...well now that's a real good reason to do a full road inspection since I'm being a "smart-ass" and I'd get the fixit ticket anyways and I'd have to go to court to let a judge decide if it's legal or not.

California's court system has deteriorated into little better than a third world court system. Not worth the hassle.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #102
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Well the problem is Optic's windows aren't safety glass, they're polycarbonate. If I got pulled over for the tint and handed him a print-out of what you posted...well now that's a real good reason to do a full road inspection since I'm being a "smart-ass" and I'd get the fixit ticket anyways and I'd have to go to court to let a judge decide if it's legal or not.

California's court system has deteriorated into little better than a third world court system. Not worth the hassle.
That's unfortunate. I know how much you were looking forward to installing these.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #103
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Did anybody on the group buy list actually get these and get them installed? I'd be curious as to what experience anyone has had.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:47 PM   #104
ZeroC

Drives: 18 2SS LT4 Top
As a glass installer I would have been curious as to what is involved with the install
ZeroC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #105
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannhead51 View Post
If it were bullet-proof and I was going to Mexico.
I travel often to Mexico. Matter of fact I'm in Mexico right now. No bullet proof windows needed. Just some common sense, and navigation. By the way this stronger thinner glass is awesome, great idea.

Last edited by CreeperRS; 06-14-2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Fs
CreeperRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #106
2011camaro2ss rs

Drives: 2011 2ss rs package
I'm thinking about getting in on this I live near them does anyone know if they install. I did not see on there site. That would save on shipping cost and if they have a contact that may buy our old glass ?
2011camaro2ss rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #107
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Found a crack on my windshield today!!!!!! Ah!! Anyone have the front Armor shield installed? Would like to hear from you..
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #108
Powellbr

Drives: '99 Mitsubishi Mirage de coupe
Do you know if it would be possible to tint these windows like normal glass?
Powellbr is offline   Reply With Quote