Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #15
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
I've had Safelite repair my windshield I the past with no problems. Never had them replace a windshield however.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:30 AM   #16
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefianceDan View Post
Just had my windshield replaced not 3 hours ago. (Hint...when changing the wiper blades, do NOT let the metal arm slam down from the fully extended position). It wasn't done by the 'S' people and everything seemed to go great. Glass says Pilkington made in Canada instead of GM, but looks identical and probably the same manufacture of GM labeled products.
Pilkington is the company that makes our glass. Also I always advise people to place a rolled towel or some padding on the windshield when changing wiper blades to prevent this.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #17
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
My uncle owns a body shop says stay away from safelite. demand oem. Iv never had a problem getting oem parts.
Dealership in New Hampshire said Safelite is good to go with, the tech also said glass is glass which I don't agree with. That's like saying a watch is a watch, Rolex compared to Timex.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:36 AM   #18
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K View Post
Does anyone know whether the Camaro OEM windshield is "acoustic" glass? My previous GM car, a Cruze, made a big deal about the acoustic windshield and that any replacement should also be acoustic. I think there is a layer of sound deadening in the acoustic type.
Hmmm good point. Our Camaros does a great job of keeping sound out when concealed.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #19
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Had my rear windshield shatter for no reason...other than inferior oem glass. Wasn't sure what happened. Driving 60 mph and it sounded like the back glass was hit with a ball bat. Tint kept it intact. Safelite replaced it at a cost of 500.00. Insurance deductible is 500.00. Tech that did the install was a Camaro fan. Yea...when he was done I say...Good as new...He says...Well, not really. It'll never be as good as it came from the factory. He told me to be glad it wasn't the front windshield. It sounded like the glass was not the issue to be concerned with.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #20
ABM/IOM

Drives: aqua blue ls and inferno orange ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels RS View Post
I've read many comments on SafeLite. Some good, some bad.
Personally they've replaced 3 windshields for me.
Every one had to be redone.

BTW, insurance cannot dictate who does your repairs. That's YOUR decision!
I haven't had any luck with ANYONE doing windshield replacements.
I had the windshield replaced in the 2010 LS by certified auto glass and it leaked. They had to come out and re do it.

I had a 2011 Chevy Traverse that certified did also. It leaked so bad, my frames for the seats rusted. They also cracked the windshield behind the mirror and tried to hide it.
I then got fed up with them and called Safelite. They installed a new one and IT leaked. they had to come back out and install a new one.

Those places all suck.
If you want it done right, make sure the company sends out 2 people to do the install. And even then you're rolling the dice.
ABM/IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:49 PM   #21
L99CAMA2011

Got it done with an OEM one. Let's see how this goes.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #22
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Never had a windshield replaced before. Is this something that the insurance covers without consideration of your comprehensive deductible? Asking because my deductible is $500. I would imagine the cost is less than that so wondering if it all comes out of my pocket. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #23
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
In Florida insurance covers it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #24
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I used SL when the replaced my OEM HUD windshield...no issues
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #25
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
Never had a windshield replaced before. Is this something that the insurance covers without consideration of your comprehensive deductible? Asking because my deductible is $500. I would imagine the cost is less than that so wondering if it all comes out of my pocket. Thanks!
That depends on the state.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #26
Castrosua

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
got a 2014 LS, so no HUD.

My first windshield was gouged by the wiper (yes, car was still brand new with under 100miles and the first time I wash my windshiled it gouged on the pass side. No rocks, def no ice yet...) So USAA (that ONLY works with safelite unless you want to use your deductible, from what Im told) gets the wrong glass the first time, and the second time bring some chinese glass and by the time I see it, its already on the car...

The aftermarket garbage is thinner and at the edges isnt rounded down, so I cut myself just wiping down my car. Luckily being so thin means it will chip and crack easy, so last month thats what happened...

Again Safelite brought the wrong effing glass, and now tomorrow theyre supposedly coming in. Its been a freaking month, I cant drive my car because the crack is huge now, clear across my line of sight to the point I needed a rental. C'mon....

Yes, you have to actively request OEM, otherwise they will NOT bring that, theyll put the cheapest thing possible.

If it was up to them theyde put saran wrap and call it good
1972 Lincoln Continental fully original down to paint
Castrosua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #27
Castrosua

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Oh, and if you have a glass program thres no deductible. I got a rental ONLY because it took the idiots at safelite a MONTH to get my glass...Its still under my comprehensive claim, but at least no deductible. And even still, I dont feel I should have to pay a cent for their incompetence...

You can tell I really really love safelite huh
1972 Lincoln Continental fully original down to paint
Castrosua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:29 AM   #28
Hilflos

Drives: 2015 1SS / RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
Depends on what state you live in. In Ohio, for example, deductible is not discounted. So, $500.00 out of pocket, or whatever your deductible is, when you replace a windshield.

From www.carwindshields.info

Quote:
It pays to read the fine print on your policy to forestall unpleasant surprises – unless you have comprehensive coverage and the good fortune to be living in a ‘Zero Deductible State’. If you live in Massachusetts, Florida, or South Carolina, state law is on your side where windshields are concerned. In these states, there are laws on the books stating that your insurance company must waive your deductible for windshield replacement, so you get free windshield replacement. This only applies to comprehensive coverage, but it’s a good thing to know when you’re confronted with this type of repair. The entire cost of your windshield replacement will be waived, so that you don’t have to spend a dime out of pocket. For state-by-state information check out our State-by-State Page. - See more at: http://www.carwindshields.info/insur....RXWBCNTE.dpuf
If your particular policy has a rider for windshield replacement, then that's something else again, of course.

So, really, depends on the state you live in, and what your particular insurance policy has to say. In my case, less than 500 miles on the car, and I was out $500.00 because a semi had a rock stuck in one of it's tires for a while before I wound up behind it.
Hilflos is offline   Reply With Quote