Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #3207
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Hmmmmmm, rethink the 2011 updates?? It takes a long time to engineer, develop and validate content. And powertrain is usually even earlier than other program decisions. So even IF GM decided they needed to up the ante (and that is debateable) the decision to do so would have needed to have been made well before the Camaro even came out last year. Plus to up the 6.2 L in HP, you would have to clear the hurdle of besting the Corvette, or at least move the Corvette LS3 up and then pushing that closer to the Z06. So there is a lot at stake to simply bump the LS3.

The 2011 die is cast so to speak and it is what it is. The convertible is the Camaro trump card at the end of this year. So considering the Mustang had a convertible all 2010 and couldn't outsell the Camaro...........and the Mustang had rebates all year and the Camaro didn't and they couldn't outsel the Camaro...............I think, and just my opinion, the 2011 Camaro will hold it's own, the convertible will come on board the end of the year and pull big numbers.................and then it's 2012 and we can have this conversation allllllll over again.
But by 2012 we'll have the Z28.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #3208
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
*fingers crossed*
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #3209
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I want to see the Camaro best the Mustang at every level. Chevy up'd the ante first now Ford has. But, GM never replied with a lower gear (which is where much of the Mustang's power shows up even in the 2010 model)) or a handling package . Even though not all Mustangs had these options all Mustangs tested always had these options. Why not offer a Pedder's (brand) suspension as an option (let them do the developing), just like the Brembos & Hurst shifter (brands) are an upgrade? I'm not saying that we need a new engine (i understand that kind of development takes time), but we need improvements in handling and performance (these are the two areas that are always mentioned by testers, handling capabilities & off the line performance) that can come from the above mentioned items/options. Yes, these would be OPTIONS for enhancing the car as one would see fit. Kinda like adding 21" wheels.

Come on New GM lean & mean!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #3210
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I want to see the Camaro best the Mustang at every level. Chevy up'd the ante first now Ford has. But, GM never replied with a lower gear (which is where much of the Mustang's power shows up even in the 2010 model)) or a handling package . Even though not all Mustangs had these options all Mustangs tested always had these options. Why not offer a Pedder's (brand) suspension as an option (let them do the developing), just like the Brembos & Hurst shifter (brands) are an upgrade? I'm not saying that we need a new engine (i understand that kind of development takes time), but we need improvements in handling and performance (these are the two areas that are always mentioned by testers, handling capabilities & off the line performance) that can come from the above mentioned items/options. Yes, these would be OPTIONS for enhancing the car as one would see fit. Kinda like adding 21" wheels.

Come on New GM lean & mean!
We are barely out of the first year of production on an all new car. Even the Mustang only "modified" their chassis, but it was primarily carryover. Nice job on the interior, but basically theirs was a major upgrade on an existing car. It took a ton of resources to engineer the Camaro.

But as far as putting a Pedders suspension in the car...........well as good as they are there is a reason that no one, not even the Corvette, offers a Coil over suspension as standard or optional equipment. It's pricey and honestly verrrryyyyyy few customers would actually adjust it. Plus it is very hard to offer a customer something that they need to have significant training in how to do the adjustment. It's hard enough getting customers to learn to adjust their memory seats. So a bunch of customers screw up the ride and handling of their cars because they don't know what they are doing so what happens? They take it back to the dealer and GM would pay for the adjustments under warranty. And you are simply creating a greater chance they will be unhappy.

And me thinks you are just hoping for too much in the 2nd model year. It is rare to make as much change as you are describing in year two. Ford did it simply because the change in body, interior and chassis wasn't as great and didn't require the investment.

Be patient. I understand why you want the Camaro to be #1 all the time, and not just a back and forth race. GM has other great cars that need attention too. So sometimes, just like kids on December 23rd...................you have to wait.

Good stuff is always in the works and team Camaro is working hard to contintually improve the car.

And now that the Mustang GT is within 250 pounds of the Camaro, the real value of an IRS will start to be important................even if the magazine writers don't want to admit it.

But to put it in perspecitve, the year two improvements you are hoping for would have had to have been decided on back in 2007 to be fully tested and validated for 2010. And in 2007, the Camaro beat everything the Mustang could offer. The Mustang was the proverbial knife in a gun fight. Well they finally found a gun and a good one.

And just my opinion, I'd still take the Camaro over a Mustang. Yes, even I can take off my GM underwear and take a neutral look.

So again just be patient. 2011 is about the Camaro convertible. And that WAS decided a long time ago. And it's a winner too.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #3211
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
.............says who?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #3212
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
We are barely out of the first year of production on an all new car. Even the Mustang only "modified" their chassis, but it was primarily carryover. Nice job on the interior, but basically theirs was a major upgrade on an existing car. It took a ton of resources to engineer the Camaro.

(BUMP)

So again just be patient. 2011 is about the Camaro convertible. And that WAS decided a long time ago. And it's a winner too.

What is 2012 about?

Wait don't answer that! (Not that you would anyways )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #3213
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Yes I understand, coilovers would never work for the novice, I own a set and you are very correct. But Pedders has a other suspension bits that would replace stock units (sways, springs, shocks, & bushings). And make no mistake about it Ford did what they did ONLY because of the Camaro. Tit for Tat, I say!

I'd like to see a GSR version of the Camaro in between the Z28 and SS. Reason? The Z28 (even though I want it) will be too pricey.
And yes I get the 2+ year development thing, ARGH!
I just want the Camaro on top.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #3214
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes I understand, coilovers would never work for the novice, I own a set and you are very correct. But Pedders has a other suspension bits that would replace stock units (sways, springs, shocks, & bushings). And make no mistake about it Ford did what they did ONLY because of the Camaro. Tit for Tat, I say!

I'd like to see a GSR version of the Camaro in between the Z28 and SS. Reason? The Z28 (even though I want it) will be too pricey.
And yes I get the 2+ year development thing, ARGH!
I just want the Camaro on top.
We all do.........that's why we're here. And even with the 5.0, as good as it is, I think the Camaro is on top.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #3215
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

But as far as putting a Pedders suspension in the car...........well as good as they are there is a reason that no one, not even the Corvette, offers a Coil over suspension as standard or optional equipment. It's pricey and honestly verrrryyyyyy few customers would actually adjust it. Plus it is very hard to offer a customer something that they need to have significant training in how to do the adjustment. It's hard enough getting customers to learn to adjust their memory seats. So a bunch of customers screw up the ride and handling of their cars because they don't know what they are doing so what happens? They take it back to the dealer and GM would pay for the adjustments under warranty. And you are simply creating a greater chance they will be unhappy.

I believe the phrase was something along the lines of "we are building the equivilent of a space ship that an 8 year old could operate"

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #3216
68 Z/28
Father Time

Drives: 1967 Malibu / 2002 Caddy DTS
Send a message via Yahoo to 68 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
I believe the phrase was something along the lines of "we are building the equivilent of a space ship that an 8 year old could operate"

68 Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #3217
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

Only from the driver's seat...............passenger seat needs a height adjustment for an 8 year old.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #3218
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Have a fun non Camaro to drive this weekend. A Chevrolet Z something or other.

Pics up soon.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #3219
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Have a fun non Camaro to drive this weekend. A Chrvrolet Z something or other.

Pics up soon.
Does the "Z" have "LT" before it?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #3220
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Does the "Z" have "LT" before it?
No. It has two numbers after the Z........26?? I forget.

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014