Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
RID Removal - Surf City Garage Prototype Cutting & Finishing Polishes

I got my first scratch on the Silverado, and not even this metallic silver paint could hide it. I have no idea how it happened but I assume someone leaned against it at the lake or something.

Here she is - and yes, it catches your fingernail.

Decided to break out my samples of the SCG Prototype polishes to tackle the scratch.

Started with a waterless wash wipedown (Pinnacle WW) followed by a wipedown with a dedicated wax stripping product (Griots Garage Pre-Wax Cleanser) to get down to bare paint.

Weapon of choice to do the heavy lifting would be a cordless drill with a 4" medium cutting pad and SCG Pro Cutting Polish.

Few passes with the cutting polish (no dusting, nice working time) and the scratch is practically invisable. Job well done by the cutting polish, no complaints and its not overly aggressive (aka rocks in the bottle).

Decided to make a quick pass with the finishing polish just for giggles. The paint already looked fine (again the silver hides everything). The finishing polish also was very user friendly and seemed to amp up the gloss a tad.

And of course I had to re-seal the area with the pink stuff...
I simply spritzed the area with distilled water then hit it with a few sprays of Hydro Seal, I love watching the water flee for its life as soon as HS hits the surface.

Gloss added for sure!!

I cant really give an overall grade or review of the polishes simply based on this 6" area of correction but they did the job well with no hassles.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Looks promising.

Now are these SMAT or DAT?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
DylanVK

Drives: a few
DAT - I am working on a single SMAT compound for the line, basically the more hardcore option for cutting when you need it.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Looks promising.

DAT.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Good. My much preferred method.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
StoopDude

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Looks promising.

SMAT, DAT ??

Twitter: Stoopdude12
Xbox Live: StoopDude
PSN: StoopDude
StoopDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
He likes Dat Polish but he isnt Smat about it.
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
DylanVK

Drives: a few
DAT = Diminishing Abrasive Technology. In a nutshell this means the abrasive particles in the polish begin the work cycle at a specific size and as the mechanical action of the pad/machine against the paint works they gradually reduce in size. The 'shrinking' size of the abrasives means the cut level reduces as the polish is worked allowing you to finish more cleanly without having to step down to less aggressive polishes. The drawback is the understanding of when the polish is done. If yo stop too soon the abrasives are not fully worked and you may have dulling or other issues left behind by the (at that point) still large particles.

SMAT = Super Micro Abrasive Technology. Is a very small abrasive particle to begin with that stays small regardless of the mechanical action at work against it. In other words it doesn't get smaller. This means the cutting power is the same at the beginning of the process as it is at the end - this gives you sustained cutting power thru the entire work cycle. This has its benefits in that you can essentially stop at any point to and have the same size abrasives so the issue mentioned above doesn't exist.

They both (IMHO) have their place depending on what you're trying to accomplish. DAT is what more people are familiar with at the moment as SMAT is a more recently gaining popularity.

Our heavier cut compound will be a SMAT product... I have toyed with a few finishing polishes that are SMAT and not loved the results so testing is ongoing.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
StoopDude

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@SCG View Post
DAT = Diminishing Abrasive Technology. In a nutshell this means the abrasive particles in the polish begin the work cycle at a specific size and as the mechanical action of the pad/machine against the paint works they gradually reduce in size. The 'shrinking' size of the abrasives means the cut level reduces as the polish is worked allowing you to finish more cleanly without having to step down to less aggressive polishes. The drawback is the understanding of when the polish is done. If yo stop too soon the abrasives are not fully worked and you may have dulling or other issues left behind by the (at that point) still large particles.

SMAT = Super Micro Abrasive Technology. Is a very small abrasive particle to begin with that stays small regardless of the mechanical action at work against it. In other words it doesn't get smaller. This means the cutting power is the same at the beginning of the process as it is at the end - this gives you sustained cutting power thru the entire work cycle. This has its benefits in that you can essentially stop at any point to and have the same size abrasives so the issue mentioned above doesn't exist.

They both (IMHO) have their place depending on what you're trying to accomplish. DAT is what more people are familiar with at the moment as SMAT is a more recently gaining popularity.

Our heavier cut compound will be a SMAT product... I have toyed with a few finishing polishes that are SMAT and not loved the results so testing is ongoing.

Thanks for explaining! the technology around polishes makes a lot more sense now!

Twitter: Stoopdude12
Xbox Live: StoopDude
PSN: StoopDude
StoopDude is offline   Reply With Quote