Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #547
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Anyone used the Optimum Opti-Clay towel? It's half the price of the nanoskin and other clay alternative towels:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/optim...l#.VEmzSvnF_Cc
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:30 AM   #548
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Anyone used the Optimum Opti-Clay towel? It's half the price of the nanoskin and other clay alternative towels:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/optim...l#.VEmzSvnF_Cc
Not yet but plan to order one of each grade during the current sale. Have rewards points I need to use before next month.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #549
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
Not yet but plan to order one of each grade during the current sale. Have rewards points I need to use before next month.
I would highly recommend not buying anything other than fine grade. You don't need it and it'll do damage to your paint.

Anything higher than fine grade is for body shops or professionals who need the grunt and know they will have to fix the marring afterwards
Old 02-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #550
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
CD07,

So my Adans shampoo finally ran out and I have gotten to use the Optimum Car Wash twice now.

That is really great stuff!! I can see why you were surprised that the AMMO was better, this stuff has incredible suds that last and last! Its a much thicker more substantial sud too, reminds me of a meringue pie to be honest. The price is great too.

Dont get me wrong, I have used Adams for 2 years and my car is still scratch free so I would certainly use it again, but given the choice I would go with Optimum now.

Wanted to give my review, and thank you again for creating this list.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #551
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
CD07,

So my Adans shampoo finally ran out and I have gotten to use the Optimum Car Wash twice now.

That is really great stuff!! I can see why you were surprised that the AMMO was better, this stuff has incredible suds that last and last! Its a much thicker more substantial sud too, reminds me of a meringue pie to be honest. The price is great too.

Dont get me wrong, I have used Adams for 2 years and my car is still scratch free so I would certainly use it again, but given the choice I would go with Optimum now.

Wanted to give my review, and thank you again for creating this list.
After using both Optimum and Adam's I still prefer the Adam's Car Shampoo. What do you like more about the Optimum? I feel the suds last a lot longer on the Adam's shampoo for me.

Last edited by ChadG; 02-16-2015 at 06:55 PM.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #552
Travis104

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I was looking at the meguires 105/205 combo, then ran across the meguires paint correction system. Has anyone given this a try?

http://www.autogeek.net/da-microfibe...r-kit-5in.html
Travis104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #553
JDG1LE

Drives: None
CD07, any opinions on Wolfgang Sealant 3.0? Have heard nothing but positive things on it, wondering if you had any first hand experience. Thanks!

http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html
JDG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #554
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis104 View Post
I was looking at the meguires 105/205 combo, then ran across the meguires paint correction system. Has anyone given this a try?

http://www.autogeek.net/da-microfibe...r-kit-5in.html
The 301 correction compound is a great one step product. It corrects and finishes down nice enough to wax over. I use it when 205 is not enough but I don't want to do a two stage polishing with. 101 or 105. I don't use the finishing wax.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #555
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
After using both Optimum and Adam's I still prefer the Adam's Car Shampoo. What do you like more about the Optimum? I feel the suds last a lot longer on the Adam's shampoo for me.
Sorry for the late reply ChadG!

I like that the suds are thicker, and for me they last longer actually.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #556
RodParis

Drives: 2014 2SS Spring Edition Convertible
A little shout out to Matt (CD07). I've a documented addictive personality and my latest focus is detailing. Matt got me started last year when I knew nothing and now I know a little, but have spent a bunch of money on all things detailing! Here's a few observations from over the past year:

CD07 recommendation 1: Microfiber madness is the best. Especially the Dry me Crazy (I have two) and Crazy Pile. I started with the 16"x16" crazy pile, but bought a couple of 16"x24" - save your money - buy the 16 squares - I like them better. I also bought a couple of 16" Summits - still like the crazy pile better. I have an incredimitt and a sponge - like 'em both, although I never put the mitt on my hand. I think a couple of sponges would do as well.

ONR/ONRWW - started with ONR per CD07. Later, bought ONRWWW - Like it too. Cheap, flexible and does a great job. I haven't looked any further for clay lube, quick detailers, etc. It ain't broke.

Speedy Surface Prep Towel - per Matt, instead of clay. NOthing could be easier. I've never used clay and as of today, probably never will. This thing rocks with ONR as lube.

Megs D101 and D103 - glass cleaner and APC - cheap, fast, smells great. Wife uses both in the house now and pisses me off not because she steals my elixers, but because she steals my bottles. Again, I quit shopping for glass cleaner or APC since I like what I have. I've about 3/4 of a gallon remaining on both after a year of obsessing about my car. Goes a long way.

Foam Gun - added this later. I think CD07 recommends the Gilmore Cannon. I don't know what I was thinking that I didn't check my favorite thread before popping on one, but I picked the MTM foam gun. I like it just fine. I bought a small bottle of CG Honeydew shampoo to try it out and love the smell and the results. I didn't use an unusual amount of shampoo (2 oz/liter?) and it foams great. LIke the results.

Blackfire Wet Diamond sealer and Midnight Sun Wax - my summit White just sparkles using these two products - I see no need to shop any further.

Finally - XPEL Ultimate PPF - LOVE IT! Bug removal is easy and on a white car, it's nearly impossible to detect if you're not specifically looking for it. Had my first rock chip and 200 miles, PFF at 220 miles and nothing since then - I'm over 5000 at this point. Not cheap, but very, very effective.

So, I want to thank Matt and all on C5 for their time, input and expertise. I'm not happy about a new addiction, but at least it's a non-destructive one.

Sorry for the long rant, just thought it time to update you all.... Rod
Dual Exhaust
Purchased - April 7, 2014
Current build week: May 5, 2014

Build Code: RSDPWQ
RodParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #557
Midlife conVert

Drives: Black 2LT Convertible
I have used 105/205 for a couple years. Good product. Works good for me.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #558
Kainzo

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Will Ultima Waterless Wash Plus- work as lube for a Speedy Surface Prep (clay-like)?
Kainzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #559
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainzo View Post
Will Ultima Waterless Wash Plus- work as lube for a Speedy Surface Prep (clay-like)?
Yes
Old 04-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #560
Kainzo

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
Yes

Thanks for the quick reply!

My camaro is 2011 ... trying to see what kind of setup I should use for cleaning and protecting my car.

The Black Diamond Wet is preferred for like new finishes so I'm trying to see what I can do for a car 4-5 years old already.

The general feel I get is:

use Ultima Waterless Wash+... then use Clay or Speedy Surface Prep... afterwards Black Diamond Wet. I feel like im missing steps here D:
Kainzo is offline   Reply With Quote