Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #323
MikeMoach

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
I think I messed up my tach needle :(

I used this bent fork technique that someone showed in another thread, when I pried up on the needle the face of the needle came up but the back piece was still on the gauge so I pried that off also

So my problem is I can't get it to snap back in, I see clips for it to be held in by but get get them to click in

Any suggestions?
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #324
anglwngss
Texas Camaros

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Can you post any pics of it?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #325
MikeMoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglwngss View Post
Can you post any pics of it?
Will take some pics when I get back home in a few hours
Old 09-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #326
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
The needles in the '10-'11 gauges are different than mine so I don't know if I could help you out with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
Just as a visual reference, I'm pretty sure I have some close-ups of those that I haven't posted, I'll have to remember to check when I get home tonight. But yes, the notches need to be pointing the same way.
Well creektrack posted the stock LED close-up so that pretty much covers it, but my pic of the already swapped LED's in that location is still on my SD card which is in the camera that my friend is borrowing. Bah.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #327
MikeMoach

ok i took 4 pics 1st one is my speedo needle so you can see how its supposed to be sitting

Name:  photo60.JPG
Views: 838
Size:  73.8 KB

2nd is the tach needle showing both pieces, notice on the back piece the semi circles they are notches that lock inside the needle

Name:  photo61.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  79.6 KB

3rd i tried just pushing straight down it wont clip in

Name:  photo62.JPG
Views: 820
Size:  74.9 KB

4th i slid it in then tried to push down but the front clips wont clip in

Name:  photo63.JPG
Views: 820
Size:  69.6 KB

Quote:
The needles in the '10-'11 gauges are different than mine so I don't know if I could help you out with that one.

Well creektrack posted the stock LED close-up so that pretty much covers it, but my pic of the already swapped LED's in that location is still on my SD card which is in the camera that my friend is borrowing. Bah.

its all good man thanks i do appreciate all the help everyone has given
Old 09-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #328
MikeMoach

Never mind I got it, I slid it in like the 4th pic then used my nail on the back to hold the clips from popping out and used a tiny flat head screwdriver to push the other side down and it clipped right in

Will post pics of my final product tomorrow

Thanks to all you guys/gals that have helped I have nothing but for all of you
Old 09-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #329
LIV4MUDDIN

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMoach View Post
ok i took 4 pics 1st one is my speedo needle so you can see how its supposed to be sitting

Attachment 426964

2nd is the tach needle showing both pieces, notice on the back piece the semi circles they are notches that lock inside the needle

Attachment 426965

3rd i tried just pushing straight down it wont clip in

Attachment 426966

4th i slid it in then tried to push down but the front clips wont clip in

Attachment 426967

its all good man thanks i do appreciate all the help everyone has given
One of mine did that also and I had to super glue it back together to hold. It had broken the little clips on it. Works great and you can't see it at all since it's on the back.
LIV4MUDDIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #330
MikeMoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIV4MUDDIN View Post
One of mine did that also and I had to super glue it back together to hold. It had broken the little clips on it. Works great and you can't see it at all since it's on the back.
Yea I was lucky I didn't do that but is was thinking of crazy gluing mine in when I couldn't get it to clip earlier
Old 09-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #331
anglwngss
Texas Camaros

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
definitely glad to hear you got it back together!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #332
MikeMoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglwngss View Post
definitely glad to hear you got it back together!
Me too!!!!

I don't have a pic of it but on 1 of the lights under the screen when I was unsoldering the 2nd light from the top the piece on the board, the Lil square that the light actually solders to pulled off the board

I don't know if I'm lucky or what but I was able to put the square back in the place it came off of and solder the light in and it works

Just thought I'd share that incase anyone else has that happen
Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #333
MikeMoach

just installed everything back changes the entire look of the car

if it wasnt for you guys/gals i would of never thought of doing something like this thanks for being such a help as i did this

ill get some night time pics tonight but just wanted to put these up cause just makes the car feel like this is how it should of been from factory

Name:  photo60.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  photo61.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  172.2 KB

Name:  photo62.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  141.9 KB
Old 09-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #334
ALLTRBO

Nice, glad it worked out!
Lifting a solder pad isn't all that uncommon. It connects to a trace running underneath the top layer of the board to the point that sends the LED it's power. If the other side of the LED's solder joint is good and the pad is still firmly attached to the board, then I don't think you'll have any problems with it, but it's possible that vibration and/or heat could take it out at some point. If it does, there are fixes or workarounds...

I just Googled this for everyone's reference:
(Note: that looks like a practice board without any traces, you'll have to make sure the pad has a good solder connection to the trace as well)

Last edited by ALLTRBO; 09-29-2012 at 01:06 PM.
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #335
MikeMoach

Quote:
Nice, glad it worked out!
Lifting a solder pad isn't all that uncommon. It connects to a trace running underneath the top layer of the board to the point that sends the LED it's power. If the other side of the LED's solder joint is good and the pad is still firmly attached to the board, then I don't think you'll have any problems with it, but it's possible that vibration and/or heat could take it out at some point. If it does, there are fixes or workarounds...

I just Googled this for everyone's reference:
(Note: that looks like a practice board without any traces, you'll have to make sure the pad has a good solder connection to the trace as well)

Great post man appreciate it, I only pulled off on one side and if I understand you correctly I seen the trace your talking about, I just put the pad back in place then soldered both sides like usual

Just one question, since I only messed up 1 side I'm still ok cause the other is still good? Or will the heat affect the bad one and cut off power to that LED?
Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #336
ALLTRBO

Yeah, I'm saying that it will probably be okay because the good side, providing it's firmly attached, should be strong enough to give the whole thing mechanical strength so it shouldn't move (I'm basing that on my personal experimenting with similar tiny components and bad boards... YMMV)

There's a very small chance that thermal cycling, vibration, shocks, or any combination thereof could weaken and pull the attached pad because the LED is exerting more strain on it. It would then eventually lose connection to one or both traces because of constant movement. If either pad loses connection to its trace then the LED won't get power.
Like I said, though, I wouldn't worry about it. That's more of an issue with space-flight components while they're taking a violent rocket ride into space. At least that's what QA likes to tell me, anyway.
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote