Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-30-2022, 08:07 AM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Fuel Dump Mystery

Parked last night with a full tank of gas. This morning smelled fuel in driveway. Go to get breakfast and notice tank is just above half. I stopped at gas station and looked under car at tank and fuel line. Nothing. Looked under hood and in-line pressure gauge read 42 (normal). And no fuel in engine bay.

Came home and looked at driveway and there was a ton of fuel on the ground. It wasn’t obvious at first, I live in WI and we have snow everywhere. I just left the car sit for an hour and no leaks. Tank is dry and no visible damage.

I have a camera on the driveway and there was no activity last night.

WTF? 8 gallons of gas got from my tank onto the ground and there is no evidence of it on the underside.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:54 AM   #2
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

I can’t get it to replicate the issue. I put cardboard under it all night and no leak. I let it idle for 15 minutes and no leaks.

I just drove around and it seems like I am going through a lot of gas. I also checked my CELs and I had a misfire code. I cleared it and a new code hasn’t thrown yet. My AFR gauge is showing a normal mix.

???
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:30 PM   #3
barkeater46

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Is it possible the suction line between tank and engine/pump is leaking ? Might be along left side mid-body and not near tank. A suction side leak may well continue to siphon long after shut down.
barkeater46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:12 PM   #4
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater46 View Post
Is it possible the suction line between tank and engine/pump is leaking ? Might be along left side mid-body and not near tank. A suction side leak may well continue to siphon long after shut down.
Totally possible. Right now I can’t get it to duplicate whatever happened. Might have something to do with a full tank. I haven’t filled it up since this happened. So if that is what is leaking I would see it underneath up by the driver’s door?
Old 01-31-2022, 08:08 AM   #5
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
The fuel line runs along the passenger side of the car, so if there is a leak somewhere on the line itself, it should be showing on the passenger underside of the car.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:10 PM   #6
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

I have an AGP dual pump, with a new line. The system utilizes the OEM line as a return. No leaks shown there.

The previous post mentioned a line on the “left side” which I think of as the drivers side. But which is the left side depends on the person I suppose.

Update: I put in 10 gallons today which took me up to about 3/4 of a tank. Drove 25 miles and no issues. I think it was a fluke, but how in the hell did half a tank of gas end up on the ground!
Old 01-31-2022, 02:45 PM   #7
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Very frustrating
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:45 PM   #8
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Any possibility that someone was trying to steal/siphon your gas? I had this happen to me years ago & luckily they caught the kid or I would not have known.

Edit: Sorry, I see that you had a camera.

Last edited by acutron42; 01-31-2022 at 03:43 PM.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:16 PM   #9
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
There's an evap canister above the rear diff. Not sure how this system plays out with your modified fuel supply and return. This is where the vapors in your tank get displaced. Usually has charcoal in it to capture the vapors. The purge solenoid under the hood will then open to draw across the charcoal to remove the captured vapors and get burned. The canister will usually have a vent that opens to atmosphere in order to allow air across the carbon. There is also a fuel tank pressure sensor. The emission system monitors for a sealed system by running a vacuum check. Possibly over filled tank into canister, fuel siphoned through atmosphere valve on tank, because of failure or pressure. ????? Idk. Different vehicles have different systems, but this is the jist of fuel tank emission standards. May or may not have anything to do with what happened. Just throwing something out there.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:58 AM   #10
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
There's an evap canister above the rear diff. Not sure how this system plays out with your modified fuel supply and return. This is where the vapors in your tank get displaced. Usually has charcoal in it to capture the vapors. The purge solenoid under the hood will then open to draw across the charcoal to remove the captured vapors and get burned. The canister will usually have a vent that opens to atmosphere in order to allow air across the carbon. There is also a fuel tank pressure sensor. The emission system monitors for a sealed system by running a vacuum check. Possibly over filled tank into canister, fuel siphoned through atmosphere valve on tank, because of failure or pressure. ????? Idk. Different vehicles have different systems, but this is the jist of fuel tank emission standards. May or may not have anything to do with what happened. Just throwing something out there.
I have thought about something like this, I don’t know the complete system like you do or how it works. But when I filled up I was surprised by how many gallons it took. I think I had at least a gallon or more in the tank and I filled up almost 18 gallons. So as the theory goes, I over filled the tank to a point that gas went into a vapor canister that then created a vacuum without a free flow of air, thus pulling gas into a vent which dumped it on the ground.

What I like most about this theory, is that I don’t have to fix anything.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:07 AM   #11
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Old gas story: Neighbor bought a new car, next door jealous neighbor decides to mess with him by adding a few gallons of gas to his car every week. So for a few months he doing this. New car neighbor is getting great gas mileage UNTIL jealous neighbor stops putting gas in his tank every week. New car neighbor is back at the car dealer complaining and driving them nuts. True story told to me by a GM factory rep...................
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:22 PM   #12
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
Old gas story: Neighbor bought a new car, next door jealous neighbor decides to mess with him by adding a few gallons of gas to his car every week. So for a few months he doing this. New car neighbor is getting great gas mileage UNTIL jealous neighbor stops putting gas in his tank every week. New car neighbor is back at the car dealer complaining and driving them nuts. True story told to me by a GM factory rep...................
That is some funny sh*t.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:39 PM   #13
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
That is some funny sh*t.
I’ve made many people scramble around their BMW motorcycles on all 4’s like a big bug looking up under the engine after dumping a little puddle of used oil under it.

I’m terrible I know but……….

Someone above I believe mentioned full tank, leak out of a vent……seems plausible. Were you parked flat or on a hill? Can’t remember if you said? I got CRS.
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:08 PM   #14
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax View Post
I’ve made many people scramble around their BMW motorcycles on all 4’s like a big bug looking up under the engine after dumping a little puddle of used oil under it.

I’m terrible I know but……….

Someone above I believe mentioned full tank, leak out of a vent……seems plausible. Were you parked flat or on a hill? Can’t remember if you said? I got CRS.
Camaro Retention Syndrome??? lol.