Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #1
tazman

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I need some good plush towels!

I am looking to purchase some good towels for my car. Couple of years ago I purchased some Everast 1100 towels from The Rag Company that were good quality and I just order some more and they are not as good as the ones I originally got from them. So can anybody point me to some towels to order that they know will be really good quality?

Thanks
Tom
Old 01-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Try the Rag Company in the detail section.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
http://adamspolishes.com/
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Thanks!
Here the link for the sale, you can check out our NICE MF towels!

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/specia...ategory-1.html
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
I am looking to purchase some good towels for my car. Couple of years ago I purchased some Everast 1100 towels from The Rag Company that were good quality and I just order some more and they are not as good as the ones I originally got from them. So can anybody point me to some towels to order that they know will be really good quality?

Thanks
Tom
I had a couple of the original 1100's come apart at the stitching, I contacted the Rag Co. and spoke with Jeff, he sent me two new ones.

I haven't had this, or any issue with the newer long knap version. I actually like them better, they are more absorbent, and the longer knap keeps any stray dirt particles away from the paint.

I know the RC does on occasion sell "B" grade towels, which are not the quality of their regular towels, but they do plainly state this when selling them.

I'd call the RC and explain your issue with the new 1100's to them. I'm sure they will make it right.

I'm curious as to what your issue is, as I haven't had any problems with the newer version at all.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:

Thanks
Tom
I personally find the 1100's too thick... I recently purchased their new 500 GSM eagle edgeless towels and think they are great. If looking for something cheaper, I also tried their Minx Royale and was pleasantly surprised for a cheaper towel.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible

Last edited by HAMBO; 01-22-2018 at 05:44 PM.
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
Tom And Cheryl

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible, ThumperII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
Thanks!
Here the link for the sale, you can check out our NICE MF towels!

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/specia...ategory-1.html
We get all my car towels from Adams, I really like the drying towels.
Tom And Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #8
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Quote:

Thanks
Tom
Sorry, didn't read the whole post. My bad. Adams Polishes have great MF towels too.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
tazman

The new 1100 just feels thinner and doesn't absorb as well. New one is on the left.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #10
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
One of my favorites http://adamspolishes.com/shop/access...ess-towel.html
Old 01-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #11
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
The new 1100 just feels thinner and doesn't absorb as well. New one is on the left.
Ok from your pic (towel on the right), I see you have the longer knap 1100's that were introduced early 2016. I was thinking you had the original 1100's that were sold prior to this towel.

I don't have the ones with the silk banding on them, but to my knowledge, this was the only change made to the Everest 1100, since it was changed to the longer knap version in 2016.

Something may have gotten into the pores of the microfiber, and clogged them.
I would try washing them with some distilled white vinegar, allow them to soak a few hours before starting the wash cycle.

Another possibility is the silk border is coming into contact with whatever liquid your trying to remove. It doesn't have much absorbency, so you might try folding the towel so the area your working on isn't wiped with it on the leading edge.

I've bought these 1100 gsm plush towels from the Rag Company, Microfiber Tech, Detailed Image, and Adams. All the towels are identical. They all weigh the same, are sewn together the same (high gsm towels are actually two towels sewn together), and perform the same when using.

These towels are made in South Korea, so every seller here in the US buys either from them, or from a company in the US that buys them in bulk, like the RC or Microfiber tech.

The RC and Microfiber tech sell them for lower prices because they buy them in larger quantity.

Microfiber Madness makes the very highest quality towels of any I've tried. They are made in Germany. If you wanted a 16x16 plush towel that's very absorbent, their Dry Me Crazy Jr. towel would be the best thick towel (1200 gsm). It has a shorter knap than the 1100's, but the banding is made of microfiber, not silk.

I still think though that something is either clogging the pores of your newer 1100's, or the silk banding is becoming saturated (it does very easily), and putting liquid back on your paint.

Before you throw in the towel (pun intended), give them a wash with vinegar, and wipe with them folded, not using the silk part.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 01-23-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #12
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post

Before you throw in the towel (pun intended),
nicely done!
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:33 PM   #13
tazman

Thanks Joe I will give that a try. They just feel thinner but maybe they will fluff up.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #14
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Thanks Joe I will give that a try. They just feel thinner but maybe they will fluff up.

Another thing I forgot that will ruin the absorbency of a plush towel is running it in the dryer too long, or on too hot of heat.
As I'm sure you've already experienced, these towels are heavy when you remove them from the washer, even after spinning out, they do retain quite a bit of water.

When you run them in the dryer, use low heat only, and don't completely dry them. They should be still somewhat damp, and allowed to air dry.
Heat is the biggest enemy of microfiber, the fibers can melt if they are heated up too much.

It's also a good idea to wipe down the inside of the dryer with one of those cheap wal- mart 2 for 88c microfiber towels before putting your good towels in to dry.

It will grab all the lint, and fabric softener residue if you use dryer sheets for your clothes. The residue from the dryer sheets will clog the pores of long knap towels.

I'm assuming your using these towels for drying, or for use with a waterless wash, detail spray, or rinseless wash?
I wouldn't wash them with towels that are used for wax/sealant removal, because again, this can also clog the pores.
I tried several of the microfiber soaps, and all the free & clear soaps at the local grocery stores, and believe it or not, the cheapest soap, Purex free & clear, worked the best on my plush towels.