Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
11SynergyGr&Bl
JZ

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro
Pfadt Rear Sway bar, holy moly, anyone else?!!??

So I've started hearing this metal clunking sound in the passenger rear of the car recently. Sway bars have been installed for over a year now. I jacked up the car to find this very sad site =( I obviously can't claim this at the dealer due to aftermarket install of parts? How do I go about getting this fixed, welding? new control arm?!

Thanks in-advance, for now taking corners slower =(
Attached Images

Last edited by 11SynergyGr&Bl; 01-27-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: not swaybar cause fyi.
11SynergyGr&Bl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
This has happend before on the FE3 suspensions. There have been reinforcement tabs made and sold by venders, both weld in and bolt in. I don't know if they are still being sold or not. I went and upgraded to the FE4 on my SS when I had it. New GM RLCA's are only about $60 each and have provisions for both the FE3 and FE4.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Odd you didn't get the reinforcements with the Pfadt bars. My first set was their racing sways and they came with them. Later I switched to the ZL-spec bars so new RCAs and endlinks. Far better design that the FE3. As Danvillkidd stated the new RCAs are made to accommodate both suspension types. However the FE3 mount point is just as flimsy on the new arms.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
11SynergyGr&Bl
JZ

I never received any reinforcement brackets =( I'll have to call them to see if I can have them shipped then. The drivers side looks fine atm, but I corners will have to wait till I get that fixed =(
Old 01-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SynergyGr&Bl View Post
I never received any reinforcement brackets =( I'll have to call them to see if I can have them shipped then. The drivers side looks fine atm, but I corners will have to wait till I get that fixed =(
http://pfadtracing.com/camaro5_insta...tructions.html

Check Camaro5 RLCA Endlink Bracket Installation, that's what you're looking for.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
11SynergyGr&Bl
JZ

Ya never.recieved those =(
Old 01-27-2014, 02:41 AM   #7
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
See if they might have another LCA for you as well. The Pfadts don't weld in but work well. Been running them since they came out.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I want to say Pfadt stopped manufacturing the reinforcement tabs. If they do not have them I know we have some on the shelf still.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
They still make the tabs as I just installed them with my Sport sways about a month ago. The tabs were sold separately from my bars (~$30), but I don't know if they were supposed to be included in the more aggressive packages.

Back to the OP, I would buy new lower control arms simply because I don't know anyone who can weld. You could use this opportunity to upgrade to the FE5 LCA's and bars.

Here is a pic of the FE3 (3rd one down) and the FE5 (bottom one):

As you can see, the newer style bars connect on the outside of the springs which make for a better connection point, and hence the fact that Chevy stopped using the FE3 in 2012.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
11SynergyGr&Bl - Why didn't you call me and ask one of the engineers how to solve your problem? We are always here to help! Just because you spent money with us a year ago doesn't mean you can't call us and ask an expert on where to go next - our line is 888-972-2464.

Essentially you have been driving the crap out of your car and that's why it is broken - it's no fault of the sway bar. Any company's sway bar put under extreme use is going to have to transfer the force somewhere. I'd look at this as a badge of honor that you drive your Camaro like it's meant to be driven. There's only so much force that can be put on a stock vehicle before parts need repair and I am glad to see that our bars held up nicely - it was the stock mount that finally gave up.

My advice to you is get it welded up and go with a reinforcement tab from ApexChase. These things happen man, the harder you push your vehicle the more you have to strengthen things up. I for one am impressed.

-kerry@pfadt
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
11SynergyGr&Bl
JZ

I figured you were closed Sundays, most shops are. I was going.to call today on my lunch. I was in no way blaming.the sway bar, or your products. Ive had nothing but excellent customer service from everyone there, and the springs sway bars still give me a grin when I cornor at spirited speeds ^.^. Ive raced and autocrossed for a long time and know factory products only can sustain so much. Sorry about.that.

Chase, you still have.a.pair of those? How.much? Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I would do the tab for a short term fix but in the long run you should switch over to the Pfadt FE4 ZL1 bars. I'm sure you can sell your FE3 bars for a reasonable amount and just put it towards he cost of the FE4. Throw in a good alignment to Pfadt's aggressive street specs and you'll be all good to go.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #13
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
Just an FYI, a large washer will do the same thing as that tab...
Not unless the washer has tabs that lock along the bottom. They actually do transfer some additional weight to the LCA itself.

Here is where I got my tabs:
http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/manufa...ro-zl1-1410135

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SynergyGr&Bl View Post
I figured you were closed Sundays, most shops are. I was going.to call today on my lunch. I was in no way blaming.the sway bar, or your products. Ive had nothing but excellent customer service from everyone there, and the springs sway bars still give me a grin when I cornor at spirited speeds ^.^. Ive raced and autocrossed for a long time and know factory products only can sustain so much. Sorry about.that.

Chase, you still have.a.pair of those? How.much? Thanks again!
That's all great to hear. I just don't want to think you aren't getting the service that we believe you deserve. There's a lot of stuff we can't control like some of our piece part manufacturers, etc., that can hold up production, but we can always control how you are treated so please don't hesitate calling us - and you are right, we are closed Sat & Sun. Hope you get it all worked out and if you need anything call me direct at 888-972-2464 ext 103.

-Kerry

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote