Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 08-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
OffRoad Mojave Rally crash n deaths

So what are folks thoughts on this not so new, news story.

I think its pretty common knowledge that folks who goto rally events stand way to close to the "track" which is a dirt path or country road that can't be fenced like a real track or rules enforced as it just to long.
And folks often get run over or real close.

Some on the nat news said this driver has been there before and should of know to slow down as the rules say, you must go 15MPH or less if your within 50ft of people. but no question of the trucks before him who were going just as fast but didn't wipe out.

Though I can see some sides of it as the only reason NASCAR events have those big fences is to keep the fans off the track. Other wise folks would be right down on the wall, hang off and over it to try and slap 5 with Jeff Gorden as he goes by at 185.

"According to the Associated Press, a BLM statement said the sanctioning body was responsible for safety at the event. The permit required racers to travel 15 mph or less when they were within 50 feet of fans and stipulated a maximum of 300 spectators."
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Its pretty sad, being an off road fan all my life, ive been to many of the SCORE races. Its always sad to hear that some one gets killed. Unfortunately its not that uncommon.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post

So what are folks thoughts on this not so new, news story.

I think its pretty common knowledge that folks who goto rally events stand way to close to the "track" which is a dirt path or country road that can't be fenced like a real track or rules enforced as it just to long.
And folks often get run over or real close.

Some on the nat news said this driver has been there before and should of know to slow down as the rules say, you must go 15MPH or less if your within 50ft of people. but no question of the trucks before him who were going just as fast but didn't wipe out.

Though I can see some sides of it as the only reason NASCAR events have those big fences is to keep the fans off the track. Other wise folks would be right down on the wall, hang off and over it to try and slap 5 with Jeff Gorden as he goes by at 185.

"According to the Associated Press, a BLM statement said the sanctioning body was responsible for safety at the event. The permit required racers to travel 15 mph or less when they were within 50 feet of fans and stipulated a maximum of 300 spectators."
If this race is like most I`ve gone to, somewhere on the ticket there is a disclaimer stating that the event organizers are not responsible for any injuries.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
If this race is like most I`ve gone to, somewhere on the ticket there is a disclaimer stating that the event organizers are not responsible for any injuries.
I know but the nat news is blowing it up like this is the first time and are beating the drum to have it stopped.

But its really only the first time they covered it.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
I know but the nat news is blowing it up like this is the first time and are beating the drum to have it stopped.

But its really only the first time they covered it.
I don`t think they are trying to have off-road racing stopped as much as they are questioning the lack of crowd control and why spectators are allowed to be that close to the course. But like everything else in the world of news reporting they will move on to the next hot button issue and forget about this tragic loss of life. :(
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i think it is a matter of using common sence when you go to one of these things.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
i think it is a matter of using common sense when you go to one of these things.
Exactly!,

Its all about common sense. Most of this races do not follow a close course, its mostly open desert where is almost impossible to control crowds.

People that have been to this kind of races know where to stand in a jump and where not to stand, People decided to stand and watch the race where the trucks land, and this is the end result.

I hope those family's find resignation.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Exactly!,

Its all about common sense. Most of this races do not follow a close course, its mostly open desert where is almost impossible to control crowds.

People that have been to this kind of races know where to stand in a jump and where not to stand, People decided to stand and watch the race where the trucks land, and this is the end result.

I hope those family's find resignation.
Sad part is right now all they are looking for is someone to blame and probably sue. When no one is really to blame. Why its call an accident.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #9
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Sad part is right now all they are looking for is someone to blame and probably sue. When no one is really to blame. Why its call an accident.
I've been an off-roader all my life and I feel for both sides of this accident.

You can't put blame on one side, they were both in the wrong place at the wrong time. The driver screwed up and landed the jump wrong and the spectators should not of been in that spot. Now I do understand why the BLM says the drivers should drive 15mph around crowds, but come on, its a race.

All we can do is just call this a terrible accident. Putting out more regulations will not work, because the regulations are not being followed now.

I really hope this doesn't hurt the sport of off road racing, it is an awesome sport.