Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Gas Performance of AC vs Drag

I brought up in one of the gas mpg threads "Does running the AC affect my mpg?" and I decided to do some research. Of course the answer is yes, but what about windows down vs AC?

In today's world, the average (modern) car is fairly aerodynamic and getting better at gas usage. When it comes to deciding to roll the windows down or run the AC, it seems physics solves the issue (sort of). The general rule I found was that 52mph is the average speed where having the windows down will lower gas efficiency due to drag. Anything under 52mph with windows down allowed the car to utilize the gas more efficiently.

Now that was a GENERAL AVERAGE amongst standard cars. I know that our cars are probably more aerodynamic than most, but has anyone really had firsthand experience with this in the community?

I haven't had the luxury of a LONG ride yet, but I would love to see REAL LIFE inputs on performance difference.

Other interesting questions:
How does a convertible affect the aerodynamics of the car/gas efficiency (down and up)?
How does the convertible 2nd set of back windows (top up) affect the aerodynamics of the car/gas efficiency?

TLDR: Ride with your windows up and AC off and your car will be at max performance
Old 07-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
interesting. seems at 70+ i get a lot of air turbulence in side the car with them down. now you have me wondering.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
fcatch76

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
you will definately get better gas mileage with windows up and AC on over having windows down.

2012 2LT/RS AGM- Injen CAI- MRT v2.0- Elite catch can- VMax PTB- ACS T5 splitter,rockers, rear panels and
T2/s ports- Strut brace- Oracle side markers- JDP DRL Harness and ACS Eagle T2 leds-5% tint-Decepticon theme
fcatch76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
serialmike

Drives: Camaro 1ls
Just drove mine from delaware to florida. 1600 miles on it to start, 2500 now. 1ls, ran as high as 30.1 ac off some traffic caused me to end with 29. When it got to hot went to ac and ran 28-28.5mpg. Range of speed was 60-77 ran 5 to 7 mph over speed limit all the way.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Jonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post
Just drove mine from delaware to florida. 1600 miles on it to start, 2500 now. 1ls, ran as high as 30.1 ac off some traffic caused me to end with 29. When it got to hot went to ac and ran 28-28.5mpg. Range of speed was 60-77 ran 5 to 7 mph over speed limit all the way.
when you say "ac off" were your windows down or up? It seems you were driving with the windows up the whole time, but if not maybe our cars are more aerodynamic than I thought with the windows down.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Myth busters did an episode on this. I'm sure it's on the YouTube somewhere.

And windows down will increase the drag coefficient as air is being sucked into the cabin.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Beaver Creek

Drives: 2011 Camaro Synergy II
This will be interesting...

Our cars are narrower across the rear of the window opening, than across the front. That would lead me to believe that the windows down would not make much of a difference than up. On the Camaro anyway.

Hmm...

Lee
Beaver Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
TLDR: Ride with your windows up and AC off and your car will be at max performance
Ummm... Isn't this just common knowledge?
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I thought modern AC and ventilation systems work in such a way that the compressor cycles on and off whether we are using AC or not. Even in the winter while we use the heat. Don't they cycle on/ off year around to keep them lubricated?

In which case, the drag on the engine would be the same either way.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Myth busters did an episode on this. I'm sure it's on the YouTube somewhere.

And windows down will increase the drag coefficient as air is being sucked into the cabin.

yes, but that was only at speeds over 50. the first time they did it they kept the speed low, like 25 or something, so the tires wouldn't wear as bad. and that result showed no change in MPG. the second time they did it (because a lot of people wrote in making note of the speed) they ratcheted the speed up and it did in fact show a decrease in MPG with the windows down.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Back in the day when AC compressors were piston type you could really tell the difference in drag and mileage. Turn one of those baby's on and the car slowed down. With the new style rotary AC compressors they have much less drag. No mater how much it costs, I am keeping my AC on while I drive the car. I want to be comfortable. There's more to life than gas mileage.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
almost fell over when i saw the stig has "fireproof moderator"
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #13
Jonster

So I guess the only people who have knowledge/information about the aerodynamics of the car is GM. I guess we just have to trust that they are thinking of windows down drag.

I am still curious how much drag a convertible produces with the top up and down.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
yes, but that was only at speeds over 50. the first time they did it they kept the speed low, like 25 or something, so the tires wouldn't wear as bad. and that result showed no change in MPG. the second time they did it (because a lot of people wrote in making note of the speed) they ratcheted the speed up and it did in fact show a decrease in MPG with the windows down.
I think they concluded that below ~45mph it's better to keep windows down and ac off. Above 45 they said ac on and windows up is more efficient. But I think the results were so negligible it was easily within the statistical error margin, ie do what ever you want.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote