Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
Kobra
Traitor

Drives: 2010 Camaro (BLOWN UP, GOT MUSTANG)
AC has stopped completely

2010 V6 Camaro manual trans, 102k miles. Never had a problem with the AC until recently.

Ac blew ice cold the other day while driving. Next day, just bluuggghhhh warm outside air. On the coldest setting even with the snowflake button on, it's like 85-90 degree Louisiana air. The heater still works and blows oven-hot like always, so nothing odd to report there.

Thought maybe it could be low on refrigerant, so i bought one of those recharge cans with the gauge. Instructions said to make sure the AC clutch/compressor is engaged with AC on max setting, but it was not engaging. I plugged it into the low pressure service port just to see the pressure reading and the needle shot straight to red so I didn't even attempt to go further.

Next day, took it to a guy who would look over it and see if we could find anything wrong. He hooked one of those pressure monitors (connects to high and low side), the low side read over 110psi and high side was just under 150psi. Had a diagnostic tool hooked up and a few codes were on the system that were not turning on the MIL. P0532-00, which is A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Input, and P0645-00, which is A/C Clutch Relay Control Circuit.

On top of that, something was causing the car to run at 225 degrees before the fans ever kicked on (while idling. car runs 198 while driving). I read/was told that the LLT 3.6L v6 liked to run hot, but not too sure if that's factual information.

No real wear-and-tear on the engine except a little hot-doggin' every so often and practicing rev-match downshifts. Not sure if that's an applicable factor.

TL;DR--car no more frosty blow, send halp plox, meanie AC clutch no work
Old 06-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
LsxDoctor
15 Year LS1Tech Member

Drives: 2010 ss 391ci LS3
Time for a new compressor
LsxDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Did you check to see if you have voltage to the clutch? With those pressures it should be engaging.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
motorhead

Those pressure mean nothing unless the clutch is engaged with the motor running by the way. In other words the compressor needs to be running for the pressures on the gauges to have a meaning at all other than to tell of there is any refrigerant in the system.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
motorhead

You need to check the low pressure control and clutch relay circuit if you have no power to the clutch.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
Kobra
Traitor

Drives: 2010 Camaro (BLOWN UP, GOT MUSTANG)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
You need to check the low pressure control and clutch relay circuit if you have no power to the clutch.
How would one go about doing this? I'm not the best with circuitry. All I know is the clutch stopped spinning and hasn't ran again, no matter what. I'm hoping it's something as inexpensive as a relay and not a whole setup. Me and the guy tried different relays in the K617 spot in the engine bay fuse box. And the little 10amp fuse isn't blown in the #1 fuse.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobra View Post
How would one go about doing this? I'm not the best with circuitry. All I know is the clutch stopped spinning and hasn't ran again, no matter what. I'm hoping it's something as inexpensive as a relay and not a whole setup. Me and the guy tried different relays in the K617 spot in the engine bay fuse box. And the little 10amp fuse isn't blown in the #1 fuse.
If you dont understand using a volt meter and have an understanding of modern automobile wiring you would be better off taking it to someone who does. It could be as simple as a loose or corroded connection to the clutch, relay, pressure control or PCM issue. Do you have a volt meter and know how to use it? You could at the very least check to see if you have voltage to the clutch coil with the key on and AC on.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #8
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
You could jumper the low pressure switch to force the clutch to engage. Then you could see if it will, and of so, how well the compressor is working. Have your A/C gauges hooked up and see what the pressures are. Make sure you turn your A/C to max with the fans on high. Just did that to my daughters '06 Taurus. Bad low pressure switch among other things.