Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
Onispliter

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
I just got my '13 ZL1 - Isolator question

I just got my ZL1 about a month ago, with 12K miles. I've been reading a lot of forums (thanks guys for all the input ) and I've seen that people have mentioned a lot that the 2013 models of the ZL1 have a spring isolator issue on the SC. I know some people have had the whole SC replaced with warranty, but how would I know if the previous owner of the car switched it, without me having to take the SC apart?
Onispliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Annatar

Drives: ZL1 six speed manual
You can visit your nearest Chevrolet dealer, provide the VIN and ask them to check whether that recall was performed on your vehicle. There is a central, per manufacturer database of all the recalls performed on all the vehicles. Dealers have access to this database and will also update it when performing recalls.

I have to do the exact same thing.
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Personally I just bought a lingenfelter one to be installed when the rest of my mods go on
Old 01-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
mlee
www.CamaroFest.org

Drives: 2018 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadz93 View Post
Personally I just bought a lingenfelter one to be installed when the rest of my mods go on
That's a given if you're going to mod since GM isn't going to fix it then anyway.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about it too much or like what was already said have a dealer check the VIN for maintenance. Either way they won't fix it until it starts to so and then they will just replace your SC. This one was extended to around 100k so no worries there either.

Most see the issue inside 20k anyway so good you are aware.. You have a great car
Old 01-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onispliter View Post
I just got my ZL1 about a month ago, with 12K miles. I've been reading a lot of forums (thanks guys for all the input ) and I've seen that people have mentioned a lot that the 2013 models of the ZL1 have a spring isolator issue on the SC. I know some people have had the whole SC replaced with warranty, but how would I know if the previous owner of the car switched it, without me having to take the SC apart?
Just pop the belt off the SC, 30 seconds and twist the SC back and forth by hand. If it has slop it has the Spring, if it doesn't and has fixed movement, it is pinned.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #6
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatar View Post
You can visit your nearest Chevrolet dealer, provide the VIN and ask them to check whether that recall was performed on your vehicle. There is a central, per manufacturer database of all the recalls performed on all the vehicles. Dealers have access to this database and will also update it when performing recalls.

I have to do the exact same thing.
There is no recall on the supercharger. There is a service bulletin and an extended warranty on the supercharger.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:57 AM   #7
Onispliter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
That's a given if you're going to mod since GM isn't going to fix it then anyway.

To the OP, I wouldn't worry about it too much or like what was already said have a dealer check the VIN for maintenance. Either way they won't fix it until it starts to so and then they will just replace your SC. This one was extended to around 100k so no worries there either.

Most see the issue inside 20k anyway so good you are aware.. You have a great car
So you mean to say that as a given, GM will replace my SC as long as it has issues before it hits 100K?
Old 01-06-2018, 05:10 AM   #8
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Provided the sc is original, not modded and the car was not salvaged.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #9
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
So you mean to say that as a given, GM will replace my SC as long as it has issues before it hits 100K?
120K or 10 years.

ConditionSome 2009-2013 model year Cadillac CTS and 2012-2013 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles, equipped with a 6.2L V8 engine (LSA), may have a condition where the engine’s supercharger may not function as designed. If this were to happen, the supercharger may develop a noticeable rattle noise at idle. The noise will typically go away when the engine RPM is raised slightly above idle. However, if left uncorrected, the problem, over time, may lead to contamination of the lubricating grease and cause the bearing to squeal. If left unaddressed, the bearing may overheat and can cause engine seizure or a no-start condition.

Special Coverage AdjustmentThis special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the supercharger. This repair will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after May 23, 2014, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to May 23, 2014, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles InvolvedAll involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Applicable Warranties section in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #10
Onispliter

Thanks a lot guys for the information, that sure relieves me a lot to know that I'm well covered for when that happens to my SC.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #11
mlee
www.CamaroFest.org

Drives: 2018 Silverado
Quote:
Thanks a lot guys for the information, that sure relieves me a lot to know that I'm well covered for when that happens to my SC.
I believe sometime in 2013 they went to a solid isolator so if yours was built later in the year you might be fine. Either way it's not going to leave you stranded or anything.

Drive it like you stole it and if you do decide to mod then replace your isolator when you get that smaller upper pulley.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #12
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Just pop the belt off the SC, 30 seconds and twist the SC back and forth by hand. If it has slop it has the Spring, if it doesn't and has fixed movement, it is pinned.
Yup, that's what I did... They sure made it nice and easy to relieve tension on the blower belt. My Cobalt SS/SC was a pain in the butt to relieve tension. The ZL1 literally takes 10 sec.

My 2013 ZL1 has 29k miles, and has never been messed with, but I noticed the blower looked a little newer than the rest of the engine, and the pulley had no wear on the ribs.

I decided to check the pulley, and it was nice and tight with no slack. I'm going to check with my local dealership just to verify it was changed for piece of mind though.
#3257| Mild2Wild | Aeroforce | Tint
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:27 AM   #13
Snowwolf

Drives: HSV LSA Gen f gts
Good Idea
Snowwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #14
Annatar

Drives: ZL1 six speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
I could have popped the belt, but I was just too lazy (and short on time, but that's another story).

Went to my local Cadillac / Chevrolet / Opel dealer with the registration in hand and had them look it up: my ZL1 is not affected and the guy told me I still have factory warranty on it left. And the car had all applicable technical service bulletins applied at 6250 km. YAAAYYY!!!
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote