Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Vibration Under Acceleration....Any ideas?

Bought brand new DR's couple weeks ago, took it to the track launched it decently hard, wheel hopped a few times, now I have catastrophic Vibration at about 30-45 mph under acceleration only, when I coast the car the vibration stops, and when driving around under 30 MPH it doesn't vibrate, I was told by a shop (Without seeing the car themselves) that I most likely only broke something in the axles themselves. I went and bought some used axles this last weekend and plan on installing them this weekend, I'm not good at diagnosing things, so I'm hoping its not a DS issue, anyone have any insight into these things? basically just hoping I'm not wasting my time by putting these axles in...
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
I would take a look at the Drive Shat bolts, they are known to come loose and bend
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
The DS is the weakess link and if you launched hard on DR's I'd be looking at the 12 bolts that holds the DS together.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
I would take a look at the Drive Shat bolts, they are known to come loose and bend
Well I took the car to a LS performance shop down the road from my place and I was told that it sounds like the posi track went out, seems like it may be pretty common in a M6 car on drag radials, kind of wish it would've been the axles first though.

the shop told me that it could be because the owner before me had put in diff fluid without friction modifier, he recommended changing it with correct fluid and driving it for a week and seeing if it fixes itself, its a pretty violent vibration i cant imagine that just fluid will fix this issue but i trust these guys. hoping for a good outcome

Last edited by LETHAL2SS; 09-10-2016 at 01:38 PM.
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
Skoonie

Drives: 2010 SS M6
After I put DR's on mine I got on it leaving the tire shop and immediately spit out a drive line bolt. Replaced bolts with some stronger ones and was able to beat on it for a good 2 weeks before I killed the driveshaft center support bearing, replaced the bearing and it lasted another 2 weeks, wasted another support bearing, bought a used low mileage shaft that looked great and tore the support bearing last week. My DSS 1 piece shows up on Tuesday. Even if your shaft seems OK now, start putting money aside for a new shaft.
Skoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoonie View Post
After I put DR's on mine I got on it leaving the tire shop and immediately spit out a drive line bolt. Replaced bolts with some stronger ones and was able to beat on it for a good 2 weeks before I killed the driveshaft center support bearing, replaced the bearing and it lasted another 2 weeks, wasted another support bearing, bought a used low mileage shaft that looked great and tore the support bearing last week. My DSS 1 piece shows up on Tuesday. Even if your shaft seems OK now, start putting money aside for a new shaft.
Yep and the M6 is the hardest on the shaft compared to the A6.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Hey lethal....sorry to bring up old post..but what was the outcome here?

thanks