Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #15
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I’d personally tend to put this one into the shit happens category, just Based on his mods and the conditions when it happened, Unless there is more to the story... I build a ton of waukesha, cat, weichai, and Cummins, and I’ve seen this kind of stuff happen before. Once in a while they just come apart with no rhyme or reason.
Dropped valves tend to get pretty pricey (if salvageable at all) to fix because normally the cylinders get trashed in the process of it all. I’ve seen more than a few blocks with sky lights due to dropped valves. As little tolerance as there are to bore on the 6.2 blocks I wouldn’t be surprised if the only way to fix op’s block was with sleeves. Sometimes you do get lucky though.
Thanks. Shit does indeed happen. I guess on a forum like this you tend to see the shit, as it were, not so much the 100K+ mile car where nothing happened. I keep fresh Amsoil in my honey and hope for the best. Having nothing more than a CAI and tune, I hope it lives a long, Kirk Douglas-like life.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:34 PM   #16
AV95z

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, 1995 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I’d personally tend to put this one into the shit happens category, just Based on his mods and the conditions when it happened, Unless there is more to the story...
I wish there was more to this story. If it had broke on a drag strip or doing a huge burnout I don't think I would feel so bad. Not cruising along at a constant speed and all of a sudden saying to myself "that doesn't sound good"...
AV95z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:57 PM   #17
AV95z

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
If you've got the knowledge and something else to drive I'd say start to disassemble. You might get lucky and only the valve and piston is toast if the valve stayed in one piece.

Here's hoping.
This is what I'm thinking at this point.

How hard is it to get the engine out the top?
Old 02-26-2020, 08:57 PM   #18
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Can you open a New York location please
Agreed! I'd be first at the door too.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:08 PM   #19
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV95z View Post
I wish there was more to this story. If it had broke on a drag strip or doing a huge burnout I don't think I would feel so bad. Not cruising along at a constant speed and all of a sudden saying to myself "that doesn't sound good"...
C’mon, man, come clean. NO ‘spirited’ driving directly preceded this? Full throttle cold run? Did you put a $10 or $20 bill in the collection plate last Sunday?
Old 02-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #20
AV95z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
That's crazy pricing. We can build you a stroker LS3, install it and dyno tune it for thousands less.
Honestly anything is on the table at this point.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:18 PM   #21
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
That’s probably the worst way for it to go in my eyes. At least if I was beating the piss out of it and blew I would be able to say “if I wasn’t driving like a jack ass this wouldn’t have happened.” I hope you can figure out a good solution for this that results in a more entertaining skinny pedal.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:27 PM   #22
AV95z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
C’mon, man, come clean. NO ‘spirited’ driving directly preceded this? Full throttle cold run? Did you put a $10 or $20 bill in the collection plate last Sunday?
I know nobody is going to believe me, but no. Car was plenty warm, had been driving for at least 25 minutes. At no point in the drive did I use anything close to full throttle.

This is global warming's fault. If it was cold and there was snow on the ground in February like there should be this never would have happened!!
Old 02-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #23
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Thanks. Shit does indeed happen. I guess on a forum like this you tend to see the shit, as it were, not so much the 100K+ mile car where nothing happened. I keep fresh Amsoil in my honey and hope for the best. Having nothing more than a CAI and tune, I hope it lives a long, Kirk Douglas-like life.
I totally agree, on these forums and the net in general your way way more likely to see the failures and problems than you are to see the look at me I’m at 250,000 and everything is all still original.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:59 PM   #24
GAD

Drives: Silver 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I know nobody is going to believe me, but no. Car was plenty warm, had been driving for at least 25 minutes. At no point in the drive did I use anything close to full throttle.

This is global warming's fault. If it was cold and there was snow on the ground in February like there should be this never would have happened!!
Maybe that was the issues. Your car ended it because you was granny driving it. 😂🤣. I’m kidding. Crap situation but it’s motivated me to drive mine hard. Lol. I don’t want mine to go gently.
2014 Silver 2SS L99 with Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Cat-less 3” exhaust, TS Stage 3.2 VVT CAM, Circle D 3200 Stall, E85 Kit, FIC 850cc injectors and Elite Engineering Catch Can. Dynoed at 478rwhp.
GAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:38 AM   #25
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Well when you performance mod it's because you are gonna tire shred and that adds up over time since the damage is cumulative and motors are not built out of unobtanium.
30 years ago I did my share of hey watch this and it got expensive. A memorable one was pulling a valve cover on a 340 and seeing several pushrods sticking thru the rockers. Adulting is hard but costs less with a lighter foot.

Now I'm into performance wax.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #26
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
This is what I'm thinking at this point.

How hard is it to get the engine out the top?
Not bad. Just need to remove the hood.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #27
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Quote:

I believe you. Anyone actually thinks weak worn or defective parts wait until you get on it to break is delusional. I would want to know why it dropped a valve and usually its quite obvious why it happened. Broken cracked spring, defective valve that the separated, stuck valve, keepers came out something happened. The valve train is MOVING with more going on than you can imagine. I'm guessing something wasn't quite right from new and just failed. After seeing a MADE IN CHINA sticker on the steering column on my car you can just imagine where any of the parts came from in your car and their quality.

9k is insane but I was quoted 10k for basicly the same situation at one of the local dealers. I traded the car and moved on for one big reason. Try and find good work ethics good luck. You should be ab;e to have your shop give you a complete explanation of what happened and why they can't reuse you engine. If the cylinder wall is damaged thats the only reason for not repairing it and then it better be hammered. Good Luck
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #28
AV95z

Update. I'm getting the car towed home today. I'm going to start pulling the motor apart myself. This isn't going be to a quick repair, I'll keep you all posted and I'm sure I'll be asking for more advice along the way.