Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Volt potentially mechanically driven

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...a-true-ev.html

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 10-12-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Not needed.
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Meh. It's Edmunds.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
That's....different. It will be interesting to see how GM responds.

On the flip side....how often do you plan to go above 70mph in the Volt? This "revelation", if true...doesn't matter.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm outraged by the lack of journalistic ethic in that article. I haven't seen such biased so-called journalism outside of a communist country since propaganda films from WWII.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
That's....different. It will be interesting to see how GM responds.

On the flip side....how often do you plan to go above 70mph in the Volt? This "revelation", if true...doesn't matter.
Duh! Everyone knows "Green" drivers are topping out their EVs every chance they get.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
that article was awful...... just.....so.....f'ing awful. that was written with the sole intentions of degrading GM's reputation. how come no where in the freaking article did they write:

"despite this misleading and irrelevant information, the Volt is achieving the promised levels of MPG. (the attribute of the car that ACTUALLY MATTERS)"

in motortrend's first drive they recorded 126 mpg...... compare that to the traditional prius's 50ish........

that article could very well be considered an example of "trolling" in journalism
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Interesting article on the Volt

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-g...ic-car-2010-10

Apparently GM wasn't completely truthful about how the car worked? I don't really care that they "lied", but it's interesting, I think.

EDIT: I see it was already posted under a very nondescript title.
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Idiots. It's always had the engine, this has been known for at least 2 years.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
If the gasoline engine is used to power the drive wheels, well that is news to me. I always understood that the gas engine only powered a generator to recharge the batteries or to make elctricity to drive the electric motor(s). If this is not the case and the mileage stated in the article is true, I will be disappointed. There needs to be some clarification on this.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-g...ic-car-2010-10

Apparently GM wasn't completely truthful about how the car worked? I don't really care that they "lied", but it's interesting, I think.

EDIT: I see it was already posted under a very nondescript title.
You've been merged.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
Anyways, I am sure there is a motive behind this, I find it hard to believe they are just now understanding how this car works.

" That's enough for Mr. Oldham to claim GM lied to the world and to then go ahead and endorse (via a retweet on Twitter) the all-electric Nissan Leaf (full disclosure — Mr. Oldham's brother works for Nissan) as the only choice for an electric car."

Wonder what other angles there is to this. I understood the Volt to work pretty much exactly how described in the above articles that proclaim sinister lies from GM. I didn't realize that the gasoline engine started at 70mhp+ speeds, but it makes sense. It is still a nice product and used for the purpose advertised ( a commuter vehicle), I bet it returns decent mileage. I have yet to see any rush hour in Columbus, Ohio where you can do 70Mph into the city. Just my opinion
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
If the gasoline engine is used to power the drive wheels, well that is news to me. I always understood that the gas engine only powered a generator to recharge the batteries or to make elctricity to drive the electric motor(s). If this is not the case and the mileage stated in the article is true, I will be disappointed. There needs to be some clarification on this.
I believe the new set up is that the gasoline engine will engage to assist the electric motors when the car needs to go above 70 MPH.

However, I really don't even know if that's the case. I'm waiting for GM to say something about this because it's all a huge cluster**** right now.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I believe the new set up is that the gasoline engine will engage to assist the electric motors when the car needs to go above 70 MPH.

However, I really don't even know if that's the case. I'm waiting for GM to say something about this because it's all a huge cluster**** right now.
Reading on GM-volt.com it mentions that the outer ring gear needs to turn when over 70 mph. When the car has a charged battery, an electric motor will turn the gear. But, if the battery is getting low, then the engine will fire up to turn the gear and provide 10-15% of the power to the wheels.

Full Explanation:

"When the car reaches 70 mph the main motor spins too fast to be maximally efficient, and a clutch disengages the ring from the case. This allows the second electric motor to participate and both motors act in parallel to reach speeds of 101 mph with adequate power.

In charge sustaining mode, the gas engine goes on and clutches to the generator causing it to produce electricity to continue powering the main motor.

However of particular interest, when going above 70 mph in charge sustaining mode, and the generator gets coupled to the drivetrain, the gas engine participates in the motive force. GM says the engine never drives the wheels all by itself, but will participate in this particular situation in the name of efficiency, which is improved by 10 to 15 percent."

http://gm-volt.com/2010/10/11/motor-...ts-powertrain/
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRigMike View Post
Reading on GM-volt.com it mentions that the outer ring gear needs to turn when over 70 mph. When the cars has a charged battery an electric motor will turn the gear. But, if the battery is getting low then the engine will fire up to turn the gear and provide 10-15% of the power to the wheels.

Full Explanation:

"When the car reaches 70 mph the main motor spins too fast to be maximally efficient, and a clutch disengages the ring from the case. This allows the second electric motor to participate and both motors act in parallel to reach speeds of 101 mph with adequate power.

In charge sustaining mode, the gas engine goes on and clutches to the generator causing it to produce electricity to continue powering the main motor.

However of particular interest, when going above 70 mph in charge sustaining mode, and the generator gets coupled to the drivetrain, the gas engine participates in the motive force. GM says the engine never drives the wheels all by itself, but will participate in this particular situation in the name of efficiency, which is improved by 10 to 15 percent."

http://gm-volt.com/2010/10/11/motor-...ts-powertrain/

thanks for the info...seems like there is not much here besides a few journalists (most likely feeding off each others own ignorance) creating some news.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote