The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 12-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #43
DocHolliday

Drives: '14 Blade Silver Z51
I get the "form and fuction" arguement but I can't imagine for 95% of drivers this aerodynamic effect will make much of a difference. As a disclaimer I am not an engineer, I'm just making an educated guess that the function of the Z51 spoiler wouldnt be required for the way most people will use the car. Clearly those that track their C7 will be of a differnet mindset but if I were to take my C7 with the Z51 spoiler on a spirited ride, then jump in Glen's car without the Z51 spoiler I'm certain I wouldn't notice a difference based simply on the aerodynamic effects of the rear spoiler. Just my .02
Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #44
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Agreed...I think some want to have their car spec'd so it's ready to go to Daytona as that's possible to do. But for getting groceries, taking a weekend trip or any other DD duty, you can rip the front and back spoilers off the car, run the front but not the back (and vice versa) and it won't make a damn bit of difference. For 95 pct of us, spoilers or not, are all about the look.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #45
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown450 View Post
The next Gen needs a retractable spoiler that is functional and has the ability to deploy on demand or at a personally preferred speed...just my thoughts here
Thisi s absolutely the answer, if you want to compete with Porsche, design it in, not bolt it on.....
Old 12-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #46
topry

Drives: 2014 Corvette 2LT velocity yellow
Deflectors like those on the Pagani Huayra would be nice... without the 1.3m price tag.
topry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #47
Stingray949

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51
If you want a spoiler that pops up and down on command and isn't bolt on, there are cars that do it that you can buy. But, I have to warn you, they are double the price of the C7.. lol... But they are available if you want them

I wish my house had an indoor swimming pool and a 10 car garage... Problem is, I have to pay more to get that. I'm not complaining about my house, but I do know you gotta pay more to play more.
Stingray949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #48
C7-XTC

Drives: c4 c5 c6 c7
I purchased a NON-Z51 stingray, the FIRST thing I did was to install a GM spoiler/wing before I drove it off the lot. (Unfortunately the after market wheels did not fit/clear the calipers... another story). I wanted a Z51 similar look, but got a wing (approx 6" wide on center) which I liked much better (IMO only) My link to some pictures on picasa:
https://picasaweb.google.com/jprovan...CMCBu7mQsN6TCA
C7-XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #49
Glen e

Ordered that wing....stay tuned....I like it.....gmpartsdirect..5 day delivery

Look at any of the TSW.COM wheels...they fit......my pic in 2nd post.....

Last edited by Glen e; 12-10-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #50
DocHolliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Ordered that wing....stay tuned....I like it.....gmpartsdirect..5 day delivery

Look at any of the TSW.COM wheels...they fit......my pic in 2nd post.....
You're a good man Glen, looking forward to seeing the pics. I know you wouldn't do anything half a$$ed so it's sure to be a perfect install. Will you have to remove the rear bumper cover? I'm assuming it comes color match painted?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #51
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
You're a good man Glen, looking forward to seeing the pics. I know you wouldn't do anything half a$$ed so it's sure to be a perfect install. Will you have to remove the rear bumper cover? I'm assuming it comes color match painted?
Oh yeah, whole rear end has to come off, going down to Lashway and use one of their bays fri morn....but I'll do the whole thing....while I'm dismantled, I'm gonna see how to get the damn shoulder vents off too, I want them body color with carbon flash grates....
Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #52
DocHolliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Oh yeah, whole rear end has to come off, going down to Lashway and use one of their bays fri morn....but I'll do the whole thing....while I'm dismantled, I'm gonna see how to get the damn shoulder vents off too, I want them body color with carbon flash grates....
Very sweet…I didn't order the RPI side skirts and splitter in anticipation of the Lashway set up. Please be sure to remind them they have a buyer in me as soon as they do a set up in fiberglass / carbon fiber paint.

Are you going to paint the vents yourself as you did the rear tail light bezels?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #53
Glen e

Yup, I think so.....I think leaving the grate carbon flash might look cool.....while I got em out I'm going to fabricate a way to snap them in and out from the topside so I can clean out the entire shoulder vent in the future....
Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #54
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by C7-XTC View Post
I purchased a NON-Z51 stingray, the FIRST thing I did was to install a GM spoiler/wing before I drove it off the lot. (Unfortunately the after market wheels did not fit/clear the calipers... another story). I wanted a Z51 similar look, but got a wing (approx 6" wide on center) which I liked much better (IMO only) My link to some pictures on picasa:
https://picasaweb.google.com/jprovan...CMCBu7mQsN6TCA
Cool... another angle.

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #55
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
I'm going to stay with the Z51 spoiler for a while. After all, Chevy designed it for this car. I am sure Chevy considered several other options. I like the wing and shall consider it, but I also really like the Z51 spoiler in carbon black on my Torch Red. I shall have to see each side-by-side and be really moved to change out my stock Z51 C7 spoiler.

Now, I don't expect many of us are going to be whipping around race tracks at 200 MPH any time soon where a spoiler/wing shall make a real difference, but I am also sure that most of us (in warm weather) shall stomp on it more than once in awhile when on an open and clear strait (or curved) good stretch of 65 MPH highway to 3 speed digets, if we believe the coast is clear and we don't present a real and present danger to anyone, just to properly exercise our cars of course, and where a spolier/wing shall help road grip.

Although, were I live, a few miles away there is the Potomac Speedway in southern Maryland, and an associated drag strip, and I understand they can be rented (not cheep) for exercising performance cars. I joined the local Corvette Club and maybe make it an event where we all pitch in on the cost. The Club is very active with meets, and given where we are, I am sure it has done something like this in the past.

As for the non-Z51 rear light/spoiler, I can't believe it shall make much of a functional difference, and certainly not like the Z51 spoiler or a wing at real speed. OK, so some of you actually like it (more than 75% ordered the Z51, a Z51 spoiler, or a wing), and each to his/her own. It's just that I see lots of these little faux spoilers on cheap underperformance foreign type coupes and verts just to give the appearace of fake performance, and I don't like to think seeing a 455 HP C7 with a similar small "duck-tail" looking spoiler suggesting to the unlightened that the C7 is anyway like those mouse-treadwheel-driven cars. I have a problem with a Mazda, Toyota, Volks type 4 cylindar or 6 banger pulling up beside a C7 at a light with a similiar small looking spoiler thinking they are anywhere in the same class as a performance sports car. Still think Chevy should have given non-Z51 C7s more of a substantial spoiler. If it is really only a rear light and not also a spoiler, the light should be integrated lower into the trunk that does not suggest it is also intended to serve as a spoiler. Again, I believe every C7 deserves a spoiler that shouts in no-uncertain-terms that this is a beast of a car. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Richardlord; 12-11-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #56
Glen e

wing spoiler going on today or tomorrow - 4 day shipping from gmpartsdirect...expensive shipping but still less than MSRP
1. good paint job
2. simple directions once you pullthe rear end - mounts with 7 bolts
3. nice fitting covering of brake light