Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #85
Synner

Drives: cars
Good pics thanks. Did you have to cut any fender liner anywhere? Will be running the hose in a week or two after I get all my coolers plumbed. I don't want the hose getting in the way while I try to access all the random places I need to over the next week.

Also interested in any track days or group info for Watkins Glen you have. I want to try it out this coming spring or summer.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #86
td195f

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Good pics thanks. Did you have to cut any fender liner anywhere? Will be running the hose in a week or two after I get all my coolers plumbed. I don't want the hose getting in the way while I try to access all the random places I need to over the next week.

Also interested in any track days or group info for Watkins Glen you have. I want to try it out this coming spring or summer.
No cuts on the fender liners. The only cuts I had to make were to install the air ducts behind the lower grill.

I did a novice and intermediate school at Watkins Glen with Trackmasters. Trackmasters.com The schedule for 2014 is not up yet. The Genesee Valley BMW Club and the Niagara Region Porsche Club are also good groups to do track days with. I know instructors with both those groups and they are not brand specific. A Camaro is welcome to run with them. Keep an eye on the Watkins Glen website for next years schedule. They will list all the different organizations that have track time for 2014 when they post there new schedule. Some of the schools fill up fast. The advice I received was to reserve spots early.
2015 Z/28 #786 - Black
2004 Silverado 3500 Dually - D'Max - Suncoast - Banks - Edge - Custom Tune by D'Max Tuner / Spitzer '32 Bantam Altered Drag Car - Blown Alcohol 380 CI Small Block Chevy
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #87
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by td195f View Post
Take a look at the photos below. I used the Quantum Backing Plates and 3" hose. I routed over the top of the tie rod/rack and pinion unit and over the top of the front suspension mount on the frame then down into the air inlets installed behind the lower grill. There is a splash guard between the suspension mounts that you'll have to remove one of the plastic fasteners on to route the hose between the frame and the splash guard. This routing results in no rubbing on a 1LE. I have done two track days at Watkins Glen with this setup with no issues.
This is great. Thank you for posting. I am not there yet but will be doing this in a month or so. Appreciate the pics - really helps

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #88
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Anybody have info on how they routed their 3" tubing to fit?
Halfway there:
Looking great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by td195f View Post
Take a look at the photos below. I used the Quantum Backing Plates and 3" hose. I routed over the top of the tie rod/rack and pinion unit and over the top of the front suspension mount on the frame then down into the air inlets installed behind the lower grill. There is a splash guard between the suspension mounts that you'll have to remove one of the plastic fasteners on to route the hose between the frame and the splash guard. This routing results in no rubbing on a 1LE. I have done two track days at Watkins Glen with this setup with no issues.
That is nicely done! I have pictures of mine somewhere but I routed them similar to your set up. I'm working on adapters to the ZL1 ducts.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #89
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC 2010 View Post
Finally had some time to install air inlet ducts at lower grille. Followed intake ducts instruction from bannonm post.
Quantum brake cooling ducts from JDP Motorsports
CTS-V Stage II brake upgrade from JDP Motorsports
Slotted and dimple rotors from Granatelli Motorsports
Did you use the hose that was supplied with the Quantum kit? 2' doesn't seem long enough! How did it fit and reach to the inlets?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #90
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Modifying the Apex air scoop

Received my Quantum brake duct kit from JDP (no instructions btw).

Kit looks fine, but now I'm thinking about how to make it work with my Apex air scoop. The spot where the scoop sits already takes up 100% of the real estate that the brake duct would need. Plus, there is no more room anywhere else. So, my idea is to modify the air scoop as follows:
Name:  ApexScoop_duct_mod.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  37.0 KB

The air will get channeled into the duct via the scoop. Should be an easy mod to do. What do you guys think?

Come to think of it, might not even need the duct connection pipe. Just have the 3" flexible duct extend a bit into the scoop and secure it so that it doesn't fall out.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #91
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Received my Quantum brake duct kit from JDP (no instructions btw).

Kit looks fine, but now I'm thinking about how to make it work with my Apex air scoop. The spot where the scoop sits already takes up 100% of the real estate that the brake duct would need. Plus, there is no more room anywhere else. So, my idea is to modify the air scoop as follows:
Attachment 582374

The air will get channeled into the duct via the scoop. Should be an easy mod to do. What do you guys think?

Come to think of it, might not even need the duct connection pipe. Just have the 3" flexible duct extend a bit into the scoop and secure it so that it doesn't fall out.
A few people have used the DRL's as inlets, but the most common is to use the area right there from the lower grill. What you are considering doing will probably work out okay, but I doubt flow would be even from left to right.

Also, we just received the instruction from Quantum. If you want to PM me your email address and I'd be happy to forward them to you.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #92
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Thanks Tyler, I just sent you a PM.

I'm not too keen on popping out my DRLs and besides, they are mandatory in Canada.

I'm going to go ahead with the scoop mod and then will do some tests to see how the air flows left-to-right. Unless there is an obvious other location when I have things taken apart, but I'm not counting on it.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #93
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I've been kicking around the idea of these and I thought about something similar to what you have. There is also the possibility of fabing something similar to the Rotofab big gulp for the ZL1 it is a similar concept to what you are thinking.

The other thing that I have been thinking of is to run a T3 port from ACS and putting both brake duct hoses in the desired spot behind the center grille and using the DS T4 port to feed your intake...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #94
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Damn I didn't realize the ZL-1 ducts were useless. I just installed them when I installed the front bumper. Oh well.
Nutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #95
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
Damn I didn't realize the ZL-1 ducts were useless. I just installed them when I installed the front bumper. Oh well.
The ZL1 ducts are not useless as they do still direct air to the back side of the hub and brake area at speed and a temp prob can confirm this.

The fog lamp or daytime running lamp is a hotter and more turbulent area to pick up air. It is not advisable to use that are to feed the ducts. The best air is the spot used above on the outsides of the lower grille a la ZL1 area.

Matt

Last edited by Dropspeed; 01-29-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #96
SSSoon

3, 2.5 or 2" hose?

I need a good project to throw myself into.

What's the final verdict on 3" hose vs 2.5" or 2"? Is there a routing for sure for the 3" hose so that it won't get crushed by the suspension?

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #97
SSSoon

alternate idea

My problem is that one of the two front spots I would use for an intake is used up by a CAI scoop. So I am trying to figure out alternate options.

Anyone ever thought of trying something like the first pic below - strapping the scoop to the lower control arm? The pic is off a Mini but you get the idea.

I get that any good size road obstruction would tear it off. But, my headers are already way lower to the ground than these would be and they rarely hit anything.

I am also including a second pic that has a completely different approach to brake ducting - just a piece of aluminum that straps to the LCA to direct air into the wheel and towards the hub. Looks pretty easy to fab up. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any input guys. Y'all are great at bouncing ideas off of.

Pete
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #98
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
I am also including a second pic that has a completely different approach to brake ducting - just a piece of aluminum that straps to the LCA to direct air into the wheel and towards the hub. Looks pretty easy to fab up. Any thoughts?
Here are some other folks who have done air deflectors mounted to LCAs on various cars. The third link contains discussion from Porsche drivers who are very impressed at how effective they are:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46950

http://www.uniqueautosports.com/pric...es/cooling.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rs-option.html

Tags
brake, ducts